Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waffles is 9 weeks old and of course biting everything! I got her some teething toys which she does enjoy chewing on but she's still in the habiting of biting all of us, I keep trying to redirect her and get her out of this habit

any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated!! and any favorite items for her to chew, any suggestions?

thanks!

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Puppies are soooo cute but yep, they can be difficult sometimes. Everyone who interacts with her must do the same...must be very consistent with not one exception ever. Any time the puppy bites a human (that includes hair, clothes, shoes, shoe laces) you must walk away and end ALL attention immediately. No telling the dog "no." No looking or trying to play with her anymore for that moment. Just get up and walk away. You can toss a chew toy to her on your way out of the area. Come back in a minute or two and try again. Repeat if she bites on your skin. Some people find it helpful to yelp like it really hurts and some puppies take that to mean yippeeee...more play time. I'm inclined to simply remove myself from the area. But try again in a short time so she can learn the contrast. When she doesn't bite people, but plays with her toy, the people stay around to give attention, even treats and more toys. The second she bites, chews on humans or their clothing, all attention and play time with the humans ends. Abruptly, without speaking, no punishment other than removing the good thing.

Now...this is important. If the puppy mouths on your skin ever so gently with no biting down at all, that you should allow for a little bit because it helps teach the pup bite inhibition whereby if she ever does need to bite someone for some defensive reason or her tail gets slammed in a door and she reacts with biting, she may tend to bite less hard. At least she learns how to regulate her bite. Later on you can phase that out the same way you discourage his biting if you don't want continued mouthing but just for now let her learn that regulation of the bite pressure.

Good luck. Happy training.

Oh, something that might help in addition to chew toys is something cold. I use to soak a rag in black tea and twist the rag and put it in the freezer. Then let the puppy (or human baby) gnaw on that. You must keep an eye out though that the rage doesn't shred apart and puppy doesn't get strings caught and swallowed. Just for a while, that cold thing might help with teething pain. Then trade something better for the rag and put it away. Otherwise, they sell teething toys that you put in the freezer. Maybe you already have those.

·
Registered
341 Posts
A nice bone, sized to the pup should help with the teething part. Nothing sharp, and too big to be swallowed. Lots of fun for the dog. You will want to have a washable floor.

For bite inhibition, which is not the same problem as teething, I agree with no interaction. Except, ... a high pitched scream when those teeth make contact. Something you might be doing anyway. This is what a puppy would do. Yelp, then move away.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Oh boy do I remember Renns teething. He is a standard and he would leap on me a as he left I had holes in my shirt and bleeding arms. I did give a no and walk away. I later would give him his toys. He loved unstuffed stuffs and Dentley stuffed marrow bones. Also Yak chews. Fortunately that phase didn't last terribly long. He did learn to mouth more gently but in excitement though unintended he would catch my thin skin on those sharp shark teeth. I was glad when they fell out and he got his big boy teeth. After that we were good. He never mouths as an adult.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
A nice bone, sized to the pup should help with the teething part. Nothing sharp, and too big to be swallowed. Lots of fun for the dog. You will want to have a washable floor.

For bite inhibition, which is not the same problem as teething, I agree with no interaction. Except, ... a high pitched scream when those teeth make contact. Something you might be doing anyway. This is what a puppy would do. Yelp, then move away.

Teething, biting on human skin, whether teething on it to relieve that discomfort of new teeth coming in or playing is treated all the same way. Removing the motivator. You. lol. I always let my puppies mouth me as long as it's ever so gentle. Otherwise, gone. :bolt:

I think a yelp works sometimes if the pup doesn't construe it as play from his human. (some do)I've come across a few who think yipeeeee skipeeee...more games. Those often harder dogs. But I wouldn't do it so loud as to frighten the pup. But the main thing is showing puppy what works and what doesn't work to get him what he wants. And chewing/biting on humans must not work.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've gotten pretty lucky in that my new Standard boy is not too bad. I'm accustomed to pups that can make you feel like you were attacked by a gang rather than one cute little puppy. So Mr. Layne is really mild by comparison. He had a little spell of going after my hand & pinching me. I never try to take my hand away. But when he comes up to shark my hand, I will put it just a little farther back than is comfortable. This is NEVER done angrily or shoved in there. I just let him chomp & I'll use a finger to pet the back of his tongue. This generally results in puppy instantly spitting that misbehaving finger out of his mouth. On one occasion I have also gotten my finger back where there is no teeth on his gums. He really was enjoying that. He switched from chomping to licking my hand & I praised him.

((Note: if you use this method, make certain your nails are trimmed. Long nails as your petting the tongue could result in a jab or scratch on the pup's throat. Also beware of rings. I've a friend who didn't use this method but had to go on poo watch when her pup slipped her engagement ring off & swallowed it.))

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I call Misha my Tasmanian devil for a reason. He can be really bad about biting and likes to cling to your legs and claw as well. He is much better about regulating bite pressure when he is calm, but if he gets too worked up it's chomp chomp chomp. So if he gets really bad I give him a time out in his pen until he calms down. I do not play with him if he is biting. If he bites once, I'll redirect to a toy. Repeated biting ends the game and I stay away from him. I know all poodle pups have a reputation for being very bitey. I can't wait til his adult teeth come in.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It's funny, Mr. Layne walked up to me today &...CHOMP on my side. I said, "Oh, do you need your toofers checked?" He went after my hand & I just petted his tongue, then I explored his mouth just a smidge longer than he would have liked but not in a rough or harsh way. He has some gorgeous chompers! I was also a little fascinated by how delicate his teeth are compared to the Shepherds or Dobies I've had. But they're also sharper. By the time I was done he decided he'd rather lie on his back & have his tummy rubbed & since he'd forgotten about biting me, I could rub that tummy. So about an hour later he came up & put his teeth on me but didn't shut down. I looked at him like "what?" & he lay down & flopped over on his back.

Apparently Standard Poodles really & truly do learn FAST. I thought I was unlikely that it was a learned behavior from one incident but he's done it twice more. Once was tiny teeth on my toes, to which I looked down & he flopped over. Well, I'd rather rub his tummy than have a land shark LOL I guess for my next brilliant trick, I'll convince him he only has to put his muzzle on me to get my attention.:alberteinstein: This puppy is not going to be like the working dogs I've had in the past. He's on a whole other level!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Poodlebeguiled we have a 12.5 week old mini poodle and he is so so mouthy and it hurts. When we walk away to show him that biting is not okay, he will usually follow. Is this fine? Or should we shut the door and walk away?

·
Premium Member
23,386 Posts
Poodlebeguiled we have a 12.5 week old mini poodle and he is so so mouthy and it hurts. When we walk away to show him that biting is not okay, he will usually follow. Is this fine? Or should we shut the door and walk away?

I would not walk away and shut the door since a puppy of that age should never be left loose unsupervised. Put the pup in an expen if the following is a problem. Often though just walking away and ignoring the pup will be sufficient. Stand so you are facing a wall for even just a few seconds. This way you break eye contact with the pup as a sign of your disengagement from a game you don't think is fun.

Also related to an earlier part of this thread For an excitable puppy a yelp or scream may result in more excitement and more rather than less biting. My poodles both took the yelp as meaning they should get more excited rather than less so.

·
Premium Member
23,386 Posts
How long does puppy teething last?

I hate tell you this but your puppy is not teething, just going through what many of us call the land shark days. Teething, the shedding of deciduous teeth and replacement by adult teeth, starts somewhere around 4 months and ends at about 6 months of age. Puppy teeth are obnoxiously sharp to help pups teach each other bite inhibition. Adult teeth although larger don't hurt nearly so much when making contact unless the dog doesn't have good bite inhibition. When a puppy breaks skin accidentally it is generally just that, an accident. If a puppy or adult dog breaks skin because they apply pressure that is a big problem. It is very hard for people to teach a dog to have a soft mouth with good bite inhibition. The yelp method is supposed to help with that, but in my experience doesn't work very well since it excites many puppies who think mistakenly you are playing a game. Learning bite inhibition is very hard for puppies from very small litters and for puppies who didn't spend enough time in their original homes learning it from one another.

Reactions: joedesimone

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
Peggy's 5 months old and losing teeth like crazy. For the past couple of days she's been sneezing sporadically and scratching (HARD!) at her jaw.

Anyone else see these behaviours in their teething pups? I did read online that sneezing can indicate dental problems and I suppose this qualifies.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Unfortunately I have not experienced that sort of teething behavior when referring to sneezing and scratching hard. I don't think that is very common, if at all? Granted, a lot of pain can happen so she may just be reacting different than the "normal symptoms". I wonder if you should call your vet just to have a quick opinion?
I would be a bit worried that maybe a specific tooth is causing some issues with her and its a bit too much for her to bare. Or possible she may have an allergy/rash around her mouth or jaw area you're unable to see? I read up on this and it could be allergies or dental. Let us know!!

Sending Peggy love!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Poor Peggy! I have never experienced that with any of my pups during the teething phase. I would definitely get that checked out right away!

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
She had two retained baby teeth and one's now gone, so I suspect that's why she was pawing at her jaw. She's not done it again today.

Should mention: The sneezing only happens when she's excited, which I've read might aftually be a social thing? I sleep next to her and she doesn't do it for a solid 10 hrs overnight. But then I say hi to her in the morning and it's SNEEZE SNEEZE HEAD SHAKE and on with her day.

And then just now she ran up to our house plant and gave it a hard sneeze before scampering away. (She's been trying to convince that thing to play with her for months.)

I'm going to bump up her appointment for her rabies shot so we can get her checked out. But she has no other symptoms, other than her daily eye and vulva discharge that two vets have insisted is not a concern.

I overreacted a LOT with my last pup, which resulted in what I now feel was some unnecessary medical intervention, so I'm trying to play it a little cooler this time. But it's hard.

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
Unfortunately I have not experienced that sort of teething behavior when referring to sneezing and scratching hard. I don't think that is very common, if at all? Granted, a lot of pain can happen so she may just be reacting different than the "normal symptoms". I wonder if you should call your vet just to have a quick opinion?
I would be a bit worried that maybe a specific tooth is causing some issues with her and its a bit too much for her to bare. Or possible she may have an allergy/rash around her mouth or jaw area you're unable to see? I read up on this and it could be allergies or dental. Let us know!!

Sending Peggy love!
Luckily, she's happy and playing and not at all lethargic or head shy. So it's hard to imagine she's in much pain. But I'm closely watching her.

I've passed your love onto her ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts