Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nickel is now 19 weeks. He has lost 5 of his baby teeth in the past 4 days! I provide him with frozen kongs, ice cubes and frozen rope toys and he loves those. He stays active as usual and his appetite is normal. But his bowel is not!

His 'business' in the morning is light brown and pasty (but not foul smell) and towards the end he strains a little bit and there's also one or two drops of red blood. 'Businesses' during the rest of the day are acceptable with no blood (i.e. not beautiful logs like normal but not pasty as the AM stool).

No diet change or anything else stressful is going on except for the teething process. I have started adding canned pumpkin but I am not seeing any change in his stool. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Personally, as long as everything else is normal then i would not worry. It could very well be the teething. The blood is from the straining, and as long as it says red then it is ok. That means it is coming from the lower bowel as opposed to upper in teh GI track (which would look like black tar).
If he starts to have more diarrhea or anything else is off then i would have him seen. Didnt he have giardia as a puppy? That is a nasty bug to get rid of!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
as BPP said- if the blood is red it's from the end just s it's coming out- so could be just from the straining. . . i would not worry about it as long as everything else is OK.

I wouldn't stress- but keep an eye on his behavoir and maybe even check his temp a few times

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Yes, he had Giardia when he first came home. Hopefully it's not it again. I took his temp this morning and it's normal. I'll keep an eye on his behavior and maybe I will bring in a stool sample (if it's not improving) when we go to the vet's for his rabies shot later this week.

·
Registered
276 Posts
i had the same issues with mochi when she was teething. it lasted a number of weeks before her stool returned to normal, but the blood in stool only happened two or three times if i recall correctly. if nickel is acting normally and eating normally i wouldn't really worry.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
u can't believe how relieved i am after reading your post, mochi's mom :) thanks for letting me know that the loose stool might go on for a couple of weeks. now i know what to expect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts