Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Millie has lost 6 molars in the past 48 hours!!:scared: Not to mention her 4 canine teeth are just barely poking through. Poor thing...she has no teeth! How will she ever eat?

I feel like she must be in pain! Does anybody have any good teething pain remedies for puppies? My first thought was ice cubes..but I think I read somewhere that ice cubes can be bad...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Ice cubes are not bad - Vinnie loves to munch on them. If Millie likes them, you can give her some. Most puppies don't have any problem with losing their baby teeth. Vinnie was losing teeth left and right (at about 5-6 months) and I would always find him playing with them. LOL

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Dang! Is this typical?
How did you discover her loss? Did you find them or did she swallow them?
With Ruby being 3.5 months old (miniature) when should i expect the
"Great Fall-Out"? :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I knew Vegas had just lost a tooth because whatever he was gnawing on would be covered in blood!

Get a rope toy and soak it in water, then put it in the freezer. Once it's frozen take it out and let her nom on it. Vegas liked this, but the only problem I found was that it melted fast. I put ice cubes in his kong too, since he loves them.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang! Is this typical?
How did you discover her loss? Did you find them or did she swallow them?
With Ruby being 3.5 months old (miniature) when should i expect the
"Great Fall-Out"? :eek:hwell:
I am not sure about miniatures, but Millie started losing teeth around 4 months. She is 5 months now and, after the past 2 days, I am pretty sure she has lost the vast majority of her teeth!

I have found a lot of them (there was one in my shoe today!) But I think they swallow them too.

She lost a tooth and got blood all over a yellow lab puppy (freshly bathed apparently) during playtime at puppy class. I think the owner was slightly irritated..but what can you do?!:rolffleyes:

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Poppy started to lose hers at about 5 - 6 months, but the canines hung on ... and on ... and on! I discussed it with my vet, and we decided on watchful waiting for a few months. At nine months, with the new canines well through I was getting concerned about crowding, and made an appointment to have them out. One promptly fell out! An experienced breeder of toy dogs told me she always waited until the dog was 12 months before considering intervening, unless the baby teeth were causing problems - and Poppy's last tooth finally came out when she was about 11 months.

I have founf that pup's can be reluctant to eat their usual food whan their mouths are sore from teething if it is too hard - a temporary change to softer food or just softening it with warm water can help.

Right - must be off - It is going to be a scorching day here, so I have got up extremely early to walk the dogs before it gets too warm - and should be doing that instead of having fun on the boards!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I have founf that pup's can be reluctant to eat their usual food whan their mouths are sore from teething if it is too hard - a temporary change to softer food or just softening it with warm water can help.
interesting. i have noticed that poof has times she's not into eating her food. it must be the discomfort.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
He may have just knocked one out. Usually the teething process happens between 4-7 months. Don't worry too much - it's under there somewhere and will erupt in it's own time.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yeah, at 12 weeks I wouldn't worry.

My pup didn't lose canines until around 4 months, and she would have been better off if she had dropped the baby-versions earlier. As it was, the adult canines pushed the baby ones up to the point where every time she bit hard (like trying to grab a frisbee), she would bite into her upper gums with her lower canines. Had blood everywhere several times. It was a relief when she finally knocked out the little teeth.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
This is a great thread! My girls are going to be 5 months in a few weeks, so I guess I should be checking to see if have lost any yet. I haven't seen any blood and the frozen washcloth idea would be great for soothing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I made a tribal-style necklace out of Truman's baby teeth...OK, kinda obsessed, even creepy to some, but hey!

I'm a newby lurker...gotta get on the ball and post some Tru pics (cho spoo) before he gets all shaved up in Jan for a Total Hip Replacement. I love Millie!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I use low sodium broth on the wash cloths and Sookie likes it better with flavour. I keep a bunch in the freezer so we always have some.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I also use low-sodium chicken or beef broth, and make icecubes from it.
When Lilith was teething, I'd freeze a little block of broth in a small tupperware container, then plop it out into her dish. She'd gnaw on it for a good 20 minutes or so and loved it. She'd go lay down under the fridge and wait for one.

Now I just use a normal icecube tray, and it makes fantastic little treats for a hot day. I rotate broth with mashed banana or plain yogurt - all make yummy ice-cube treats. She's kept up the habit of lying down the fridge to request one, though she doesn't do it nearly as much as when she was teething...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Millie has lost 6 molars in the past 48 hours!!:scared: Not to mention her 4 canine teeth are just barely poking through. Poor thing...she has no teeth! How will she ever eat?

I feel like she must be in pain! Does anybody have any good teething pain remedies for puppies? My first thought was ice cubes..but I think I read somewhere that ice cubes can be bad...
I used to use old rags tied in knots. Wet them down and put them in the freezer. Really was a favorite of my teething pup.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Now I just use a normal icecube tray, and it makes fantastic little treats for a hot day. I rotate broth with mashed banana or plain yogurt - all make yummy ice-cube treats.

Wow, that's a great idea! I am going to start getting some ready for the girls! Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts