Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At Ruby's last vet appt, the vet made mention of her bottom canine teeth (the fang type teeth)...the bottom once rest into her gums on the top. I am unsure as to whether the issue is the top or the bottom part of the jaw. the vet suggested letting her walk with a ping pong ball in her mouth, which she does anyway, she loves to carry things, sticks, rocks, balls etc etc, if she can carry it she will.

The vet said if they have not resituated themselves by her spay in June she would like to see them removed. I am hesitatant to remove the teeth, would like to wait and see how the adults come in. I guess my hope is that they come in properly. I don't know if its a jaw issue or if its the actual teeth themselves.

If I wait than she woudl need to go under 2ce, but if they remove the babies, there is no gaurantee the adults will sit right either meaning they would also need to be yanked.

The vet said that with teh bottom teeth resting into her top gums that if the tops gum gets punctured, food and bacteria can get in there making a breeding ground for infection and other gross things, obviosly I don't want that either, but I don't want her under any more than she needs to be. I understand it would be very hard to keep clean, and I understand the risk of it being infected, but I understand tha risk of being put under more.

Would you extract at her spay (in June) or would you leave them and see what happens and risk putting her under again? Is it possible for the adult teeth to right themselves?

Anyway here are 2 pics of what I am talking about.

If you have gone through something similar what was the outcome? I know if she loses the teeth even teh adults she will be fine, Quincy has 10 teeth total in his mouth and he does ok (chinese crested hairless have issues with poor dentin, its not poor dental care on my part)

·
Registered
149 Posts
How old is your baby now? The baby teeth start coming out around 5-7mo. Guenna's all came out in a couple weeks (4 canines in 2 days) and Morgan's took almost a month to come out. Morgan's canines looked almost like that. She even broke one in half at the dog park. My concern with Morgan was that since the adult teeth were coming in on the inside of her mouth I was going to have bite problems. Well now that her baby canines are out her adult teeth are coming in in the right position. I think I'd wait if you can. I know it's the hardest thing to do, but as others have said, everything should be ok & you'll know within a couple days after the baby teeth come out if you have a problem.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'll side with your vet...

...and I'd watch that mouth pretty carefully. Even if it doesn't puncture the gum, the irritation may change how the upper palate and teeth form.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts