Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I brushed Norman's teeth for the first time this week, and to my surprise he did great!! I need to keep up with this and have some questions if anyone is so kind to answer :)

1. How often should I brush his teeth? I am assuming at least 4 times a week..

2. How often does he need to get a professional dental cleaning? 1 per year?

3. I have never done dental cleanings for dogs, are these done at specific vets are generally every vet?

4. Also, do yall have a recommended toothpaste? I am using one that is poultry flavor that fights plaque build up. Want to make sure I have the best!

5. When they clean the dogs teeth, do they do this while the dog is fully awake? Or do they get some feel-good meds? lol

Sorry for the many silly questions! Looked on this forum for past posts but all I see is people talking about how expensive it can be :afraid:

Thank you :act-up:

Registered
So I brushed Norman's teeth for the first time this week, and to my surprise he did great!! I need to keep up with this and have some questions if anyone is so kind to answer :)

1. How often should I brush his teeth? I am assuming at least 4 times a week.. The more the better. Some people brush every day. I do sometimes every day and some days I skip one day, but for sure, every other day. And if I don't brush one day, I give a squirt of some tarter stuff.

2. How often does he need to get a professional dental cleaning? 1 per year?

With ample brushing, it could be longer than a year before he needs a dental. But your vet will let you know. And you can see the tops of the teeth getting discolored.

3. I have never done dental cleanings for dogs, are these done at specific vets are generally every vet? I've always gotten my dogs done by my regular vet or the technician.

4. Also, do yall have a recommended toothpaste? I am using one that is poultry flavor that fights plaque build up. Want to make sure I have the best!

Enzymatic toothpastes are apparently the best.

5. When they clean the dogs teeth, do they do this while the dog is fully awake? Or do they get some feel-good meds? lol Some people opt to have the dog awake and do an incomplete cleaning. But they can not do a thorough, deep cleaning and get up under the gums without anesthesizing them. I always have them fully under because it would be too painful and miserable otherwise...unless they do these halfway cleanings. And I want them to have a thorough cleaning. To avoid too many times, brush and use some dental spray as often as you can.

Sorry for the many silly questions! Looked on this forum for past posts but all I see is people talking about how expensive it can be :afraid:

Thank you :act-up:

They are not silly questions. If you haven't had dogs for a long time, how would you know? It certainly can be expensive so shop around...ask different vets. The vets where I live charge ridiculous fees so I took my dogs to their old vet in a different town...a 2.5 hour trek. It was worth it, including a ferry boat ride...still vastly less expensive. Good luck.
I just tried to send that and it says my message is too short. LOL. Okay, lalalalala...getting longer, la la bla bla. OKay, I'll try again. :act-up:

Reactions: SamieNorman

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!! Wonderful answers!

So glad you mentioned why some people do and do not use anesthesia. I would agree that a deeper clean would prevent more visits.

Norman will be moving to his "big boy vet" next summer but do not think I want to wait to get his teeth looked at until then.
I will start brushing as his normal routine now! Thank you again! :)

Registered
I have toys, and have learned from experience how important teeth cleaning can be. I brush thoroughly (125-200 strokes) every day, using an enzyme toothpaste - a chicken flavoured one that they like the taste of. I find it easier to make it part of our daily routine than to try to remember where we are up to. Sophy (nearly 11) has had two full dentals in her life, one under sedation and one under full anaesthetic. Poppy (10) has never needed one. If you keep your dogs' teeth and - importantly - gums healthy they may never need a full dental, which is a considerable saving financially and avoids the risk of a GA.

I slipped a couple of years ago and stopped doing Sophy's teeth regularly - I tried to do too much and she stopped cooperating. I built up again gradually over several months but in the meantime her teeth got caked with tartar - even so, the regular brushing helped keep her gums healthy, and her vet was surprised to find when the tartar was removed that she did not need any extractions.

Some dogs seem to get more tartar than others - partly diet, partly size, partly genetics. It is therefore difficult to say how often a dental may be needed - find a vet you trust and rely on their judgement, would be my advice.

Reactions: SamieNorman

Registered
I brush my dog鈥檚 teeth every second day. I use toothpaste made from cranberries.

With regular brushing, I don鈥檛 expect them to need a cleaning, except maybe once or twice in their life time. Beckie is almost 2 1/2 and she鈥檚 never had one. She had plaque from before I started brushing, it鈥檚 not going away but it鈥檚 not getting worse and the vet says it鈥檚 not worth putting her under.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone! Wonderful detailed responses I truly appreciate it. I will ask the vet about Norman and when he thinks a dental appointment would be necessary for a standard and his teeth. Norman will be going to a new vet next summer so I will ask their opinions too!

I am lucky that Norman lets me brush his as much as he does. Its a bit of a struggle but he sits and just moves his head back, sometimes trying to eat the brush. His chicken flavor enzyme toothpaste he loves! He will allow me to keep brushing as long as I reapply more toothpaste lol. We get anywhere near 100 brush strokes at this time. I think we get around 10 per side per top/bottom/ so over 40. Which I am happy with being that hes only done this twice now!!!!

Based upon everyone's response, it seems that repetition will make him more relaxed and comfortable so I can get more work done as we go.
My goal is to do this for him every night and make it a routine. Shouldn't be too hard because in our current routine, he follows me everywhere and watches me brush my own teeth morning and night lol. Sit and waits for the command to "get in bed"! lol

Thank you again everyone!! I am hoping, like you all said, that the more I brush the less dental work he may require! And the more comfortable he will get!!

Thank you xoxoxoxo

Registered
Thank you everyone! Wonderful detailed responses I truly appreciate it. I will ask the vet about Norman and when he thinks a dental appointment would be necessary for a standard and his teeth. Norman will be going to a new vet next summer so I will ask their opinions too!

I am lucky that Norman lets me brush his as much as he does. Its a bit of a struggle but he sits and just moves his head back, sometimes trying to eat the brush. His chicken flavor enzyme toothpaste he loves! He will allow me to keep brushing as long as I reapply more toothpaste lol. We get anywhere near 100 brush strokes at this time. I think we get around 10 per side per top/bottom/ so over 40. Which I am happy with being that hes only done this twice now!!!!

Based upon everyone's response, it seems that repetition will make him more relaxed and comfortable so I can get more work done as we go.
My goal is to do this for him every night and make it a routine. Shouldn't be too hard because in our current routine, he follows me everywhere and watches me brush my own teeth morning and night lol. Sit and waits for the command to "get in bed"! lol

Thank you again everyone!! I am hoping, like you all said, that the more I brush the less dental work he may require! And the more comfortable he will get!!

Thank you xoxoxoxo
Brushing shouldn鈥檛 be long, 30-60 seconds and you鈥檙e done !

Registered
When starting again with Sophy it was one gentle brush stroke on each side of her mouth, then a piece of dried chicken and an extra lick of toothpaste as a reward. Over several weeks I built up to around 10 quick strokes on first canines and then molars one side and then the same on the other. She very much dislikes me doing the incisors, so I pass on those. From 10 x 4 strokes we built up to 30 x 4 strokes - less than a minute of brisk brushing. She gets a neck and ear massage before, and a lick of toothpaste after (Poppy gets a cuddle first as she prefers that - she lets me do the little front teeth too).

Keep it relaxed and rewarding - my mistake was trying to flick a chunk of tartar off one of Sophy's teeth with my thumb nail. Poppy will let me do it, but Sophy said NO WAY! and decided to avoid teeth cleaning altogether in future. Lesson learned...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts