Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jasper is well into teething now. His breath has been terrible over the past week or two. Terrible! My first thought was that he may have food or something stuck under a loose tooth but I can't find anything. (not even a loose tooth at this point)

I've also noticed over the last week or two that his new teeth are a bit yellow on top and not the bright white of his baby teeth. I feed him a combination of Innova Adult and Orijen 6 Fish. Several times a week I mix Innova with cottage cheese or yogurt for breakfast. Other than this he gets dried liver treats during training and the occasional raw beef marrow bone. Going forward I won't be feeding the marrow bones because they wreak havoc with his coat. I haven't been brushing his teeth but will look for something this weekend.

Any ideas what else may be causing these two issues?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I noticed bad breath on Teddy when he was shedding his baby teeth, but now that his adult teeth are all in, his breath smells minty fresh. He likes to chew on bully sticks, so I think they must be helping to keep his teeth nice and white. I don't brush his teeth either.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Jager is teething right too (poor boy lost two big molars last night--one fell right on my foot, eeww!) and before the teething he had what I would call odorless breath, but now it's yucky. To me, it does smell like it's due to the teething and essentially having open sores in his mouth. Also, I think when a tooth is just "hanging on" it starts to decay where the air hits the root (or whatever that is up inside the tooth).

·
Registered
207 Posts
breath

My boy is 8 months now. I didn't notice and problems with his breath when he was teething. His teeth are nice and white but may not be as quite white as his baby set.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Teething breath is the worst! Mia would get rancid breath and I would want to gag when she'd try to lick me. It was a loose tooth with food caught in it or blood that had dried on there. Thank goodness that teething doesn't last long. I kind of sped the process up by giving her plenty to chew on and rawhide was what was suggested by my vet.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, good to know! Every time he puts his face near mine I cringe. At times it's enough to make you gag or feel queasy. Yuck! It gives the term dog breath a whole new meaning :scared:. I can't wait until we're past this stage!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts