Poodle Forum banner

Teddy's getting neutered today

2719 Views 27 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Marian
I'm also having him microchipped. I was torn about that, because I've heard various pros and cons and I couldn't decide if it was worth it. But when they reminded me that he would be under when they did it, I thought, what the heck, let's just do it.

Forgive me if there's already a thread about this, but do you guys have your dogs chipped?
I'm also having him microchipped. I was torn about that, because I've heard various pros and cons and I couldn't decide if it was worth it. But when they reminded me that he would be under when they did it, I thought, what the heck, let's just do it.

Forgive me if there's already a thread about this, but do you guys have your dogs chipped?
See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

The cons I had heard were basically that the microchip's usefulness is limited because not all chips can be read by all scanners, and that also by the fact that someone has to turn the dog in to have it checked. If someone intends to keep your dog as their own or, God forbid, use it as a bait dog, they're not likely to have it checked for a microchip.

I have him registered with the AKC's companion animal recovery program, so he wears a tag with their number on it. I figured if he ran away from me, it would be faster and easier for someone to just call the number on the tag.

· Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, Teddy is home and seems to be his old self. I told him that he could take off the E-collar if he would leave his incision alone, but he immediately started licking at it, so the collar is back on now. Doesn't seem to bother him all that much though. LOL

His chip is from HomeAgain. It was $63 plus $10 activation fee. There will also be a yearly fee of $15. Not too bad, I guess...

Thanks for all the well wishes--it couldn't have gone better! :)

· Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks!

The good thing was that I didn't have to be nervous for long. I dropped him off before work, went home and got ready to go to the office and by the time I got there, they called and said he was all done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.