Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is so weird to me - Teddy was dark brown when I rescued him then about a year in he was almost all silver - his back and top knot were totally so silver - so light - now I just notice that his top knot is getting a little darker and he has some dark areas - his back is still light but he has one little dark spot - funny! everyone on here (at the time I posted picx) thougth he was a silver beige but I wonder do they get a little darker with age? I dont know anything about his pedigree...he was a rescue. I will try to post some pics if I can find some - my daughter has the camera right now (we share lol)

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is so weird to me - Teddy was dark brown when I rescued him then about a year in he was almost all silver - his back and top knot were totally so silver - so light - now I just notice that his top knot is getting a little darker and he has some dark areas - his back is still light but he has one little dark spot - funny! everyone on here (at the time I posted picx) thougth he was a silver beige but I wonder do they get a little darker with age? I dont know anything about his pedigree...he was a rescue. I will try to post some pics if I can find some - my daughter has the camera right now (we share lol)
I am going to post some pics now tht I have - I don't have the latest but the last pic if you look at his legs - that is the color of his top knot now. I hope he is not going to get dark like the first pic! lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
That's a lot of color changing! I hope someone with more knowledge than I have can answer that for you... but I just wanted to pop in and say that I love picture 3! He's cheesing for the camera :) so cute!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I can't tell by the pictures, but is the hair on his legs longer than the hair on his body? In silvers, the longer guard hairs tend to be darker. Some of Cheers' guard hairs are nearly black, and I find that the longer her coat is, the darker she looks. When she has just been clipped she looks platinum, but give her some time and she goes grey.
Teddy is a silver with a brown base, so his colour will behave the same as a silver with a black base. You may find he gets a dark brown spot if he has an injury, which may take up to a year to silver out again. I don't think you need to worry about him going dark brown all over again, but the shading will vary throughout his life. That's what I find so charming about silvers!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Vibrant for that info- (I really like the silver and beige - especially since he was so dark when I got him.)

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah - he is not camera shy like Ginger - I don't know what Ginger thinks the camera is but as soon as I take it out she turns away lol

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I can't tell by the pictures, but is the hair on his legs longer than the hair on his body? In silvers, the longer guard hairs tend to be darker. Some of Cheers' guard hairs are nearly black, and I find that the longer her coat is, the darker she looks. When she has just been clipped she looks platinum, but give her some time and she goes grey.
Teddy is a silver with a brown base, so his colour will behave the same as a silver with a black base. You may find he gets a dark brown spot if he has an injury, which may take up to a year to silver out again. I don't think you need to worry about him going dark brown all over again, but the shading will vary throughout his life. That's what I find so charming about silvers!
Completely agree with this. When Thinker first gets groomed, in photos he almost looks white he is such a light platinum. As the weeks fo by until he is freshly done again, his legs and tummy look way darker.

The reds are like this too. Most reds in pet clip look much lighter when their skin is showing through at all and as the coat gows out, they begin to look darker again. You will see on a lot of web sites for reds, the owners will keep them in longer pet clips so they look darker.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts