Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, when I walk Ted, I've been walking him without the leash in my hand (not all the time, and the leash stays close to my foot so I can step on it quickly, and I control him using my voice). When we walk closer to the house (at times at the end of the block), I'll let him out of his harness and let him trot in front of me.

When I make sounds for him to stop, he stops, and always looks back to see how far I am. When I make him stop, he'll stop walking until I'm right next to him, and will follow behind me, but not so far that I can't see him. When I run, he'll run, etc.

When we usually get closer to our house, he'll trot even faster and will zoom to the front steps, patiently waiting for me to open the door.

Now with this, I'm slowing trying to let him off the leash in our backyard (unfortunately, not fenced). For the most part, he'll stay close to any of us (me, my mother, cousin, or father, when he stops by). And he'll try to trot further down the driveway, but he's quickly stopped, and comes back to us (if we call him or open our arms for him to come).

With this, I'm taking this as a sign that Ted is now mostly comfortable with us, and knows where he lives. The day we adopted him, he literally tried to bolt out of the house. Now on walks, when he sees the house, I could drop his leash, and he'll find his way straight on the steps.

Sorry, if this seems like an unnecessary post, but I'm just so happy that Ted knows this is his forever home, and he literally can't wait to get inside. =) I have a feeling that as months go by, training (especially recall) will become easier and more fun. :)

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Yay Ted!!! :clap2: Isn't it a great feeling to know that your dog WANTS to live with you?? :lol:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yay Ted!!! :clap2: Isn't it a great feeling to know that your dog WANTS to live with you?? :lol:
It feels awesome! Lol.

There are many times when I try to brush him ("try" meaning hold him down in my lap and clamp his snout), and when I'm done harassing him, he sometimes runs to my mom for comfort. Like a baby! =P

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Brilliant that he is feeling more secure with you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts