Poodle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at a crossroad.

I just finished our bottle of Nature Specialities Almond Crisp (shampoo) and plum silk (conditioner); it is great and I would get it again. However, the thought of getting soap in Basil's eye is anxiety inducing.

I've been overly cautious with cleaning her head and around her ears due to moisture and I try to do my best to avoid ear infections at all cost. When we're in the shower I just use my hands to rince Basil around the eyes, nose, and mouth... Then I call that good and move on. I bought a bottle of Burt's Bees Tearless Shampoo & 2-in-1 Shampoo & Conditioner for Puppies to try it out and relieve some anxiety while cleaning around her head. Of all things, the TEARLESS shampoo bottle says to avoid eye contact.... False advertising! I haven't tried it yet, but we'll be due for another shower next Wednesday.

Has anyone else been here or worried about this?

Does anyone have any best practices around face washing?

What do I need to worry about, what don't I need to worry about?

Tearless puppy shampoo. I haven't seen it mentioned on the forums or recommended in shampoo threads, so is there a reason I should not use it and return it?

I would settle for a basic, safe, and cost effective soap formula if it meant I wouldn't have to worry about her eyes stinging. Also, Chris Christensen grooming products are outside of my budget.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I used that when Starla was little bitty and she never seemed to mind when it (accidentally!) got in her eyes. My kids use the burts bees kids wash tearless and they’ve never complained either. Not saying they’re the same, but the same company’s same claim for a different product holds true. I’ve never been one to super scrub a dog’s face though. I do the top of the head and cheeks and just rinse the rest with plain water.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I also have a tearless puppy shampoo, and there is no warning on the bottle about eye contact. I agree that it’s a bit weird. Maybe they are trying to prevent people from thinking it’s an eye wash??

The brand I have is Isle of Dogs. I’ve got to say that my dogs equally dislike face washing no matter which shampoo I have. If it was me I would just keep using the Burts Bees, as carefully as you would with any face wash. It’s my understanding that the point of the tearless shampoo is the pH is adjusted to reduce/eliminate stinging eyes when the inevitable oopsie happens.

Liquid Fluid Plastic bottle Solution Gas
Bottle Fluid Liquid Drink Alcoholic beverage
Liquid Fluid Alcoholic beverage Paint Cylinder

Reactions: Basil_the_Spoo

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used that when Starla was little bitty and she never seemed to mind when it (accidentally!) got in her eyes. My kids use the burts bees kids wash tearless and they’ve never complained either. Not saying they’re the same, but the same company’s same claim for a different product holds true. I’ve never been one to super scrub a dog’s face though. I do the top of the head and cheeks and just rinse the rest with plain water.
Okay.. yeah, that makes sense to me about one being good for the other. Basil just got her shower. I was more bold and hand washed around her muzzle and cheeks this time like how you mentioned.

I saw the surface dirt wash away okay on her body. She is sufficiently fluffy with the new formula. The lather wasn't as intense and I was okay with that. It's very low fragrance too.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also have a tearless puppy shampoo, and there is no warning on the bottle about eye contact. I agree that it’s a bit weird. Maybe they are trying to prevent people from thinking it’s an eye wash??

The brand I have is Isle of Dogs. I’ve got to say that my dogs equally dislike face washing no matter which shampoo I have. If it was me I would just keep using the Burts Bees, as carefully as you would with any face wash. It’s my understanding that the point of the tearless shampoo is the pH is adjusted to reduce/eliminate stinging eyes when the inevitable oopsie happens.

View attachment 475313 View attachment 475314 View attachment 475315
Yeah, we might just try it to see how we like it. It's checking the right boxes so far:
[✓] less expensive
[✓] poodle is sufficiently fluffy
[✓] cleans effectively
[✓] low fragrance (new)
[✓] less worry about eye stinging

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just use water on Peggy’s face and ask our groomer to do the same. I think tearless just means a little splash won’t hurt, but it’s still not appropriate for soaping up around the eyes.
Yeah, that's a good point. A very gentle approach. I stopped using shampoo 3 years ago personally, so less soap couldn't hurt Basil.

I just don't know being a new furdad and all, like, am I lead to believe I need shampoo? I have almost no experience with curly hair care so I just follow. Who's not to say it's all marketing to make us believe we NEED to buy it.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use tearless shampoo. I also use a facecloth for washing around eyes. I never bath my dogs more than once a month unless they get into mud.
We'll try the facecloth next to see what it's like. Yeah, Basil has been outside with her grandpa in their backyard this week.. I was petting her last night and got a layer of dust on my hand, yuuck.

·
Administrator
14,171 Posts
Yeah, that's a good point. A very gentle approach. I stopped using shampoo 3 years ago personally, so less soap couldn't hurt Basil.

I just don't know being a new furdad and all, like, am I lead to believe I need shampoo? I have almost no experience with curly hair care so I just follow. Who's not to say it's all marketing to make us believe we NEED to buy it.
I wash my own face with just water, so I tend to think it’s fine to go easy on the shampoos and other cleaning products.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I use human baby shampoo on the face. Between baths, a warm, wet washcloth with no soap is good at “spot cleaning.” Sometimes I also use baby wipes. Softer than paper towels and still disposable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
807 Posts
I also just use water on a cloth. That's what I mostly do for myself and kids too.
I do like to keep Raffi's face short, but even his moustache is easy to clean this way.

·
Registered
Ginger, red toy poodle (Casey, black toy poodle RIP 02/23/2021)
281 Posts
I also think a wash cloth with warm water is a fine way to clean the face. That's how I cleaned the tear residue buildup around my dog's eyes every week, too. Then use a gentle, no fragrance doggy shampoo for the rest of him when it's bath time. Easy Peasy!

Reactions: Basil_the_Spoo
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.