Poodle Forum banner

Tearing

1850 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Shereen
Anyone have any tips to reduce tearing at all? I've heard different foods can help with staining, but my guys just tear (Lincoln more than Tsuki).
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
2,686 Posts
Anyone have any tips to reduce tearing at all? I've heard different foods can help with staining, but my guys just tear (Lincoln more than Tsuki).
What variety of poodles do you have? How old are they?

Minis and Toys often have terrible tear staining. It seems to be genetic.... breed a dog with tear staining.... get a dog with tear staining. Standards don't usually have running eyes.

Many things can cause running:

eye shape
blocked tear ducts
allergies
teething in young dogs
hairs that turn in towards eye
entropia

It might be worth seeing an opthamologist to determine if there is a physical issue.

As noted, the staining does not come from the tearing itself, but from a build up of red yeast in the wet areas. Products like Angel Eyes contain Tylan which is an antibiotic that suppresses growth of the red yeast. You can buy Tylan from livestock supply companies and it is much cheaper than Angel Eyes, but you have to weigh the long term health effects of feeding antibiotics on a regular basis.

I know that people who show Bulldogs use a special wipe pad to minimize the staining in the folds. I think these pads must have peroxide on them and you would have to be very careful about using them around the eyes.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.