Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any tips to reduce tearing at all? I've heard different foods can help with staining, but my guys just tear (Lincoln more than Tsuki).

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I heard that putting clear, non scented chap stick on the hair by the ears will help make the tears just fall off instead of staying.

It's not the tears that cause the staining, it's the bacteria and yeast that grows in the warm, moiste environment that causes the staining.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I heard it was due to the ears needing to be cleaned.
Never heard that one before.... I suppose it can't hurt lol, never hurts to have clean ears!

Keeping the hair short in front of the eyes helps to be honest.

I know there are a lot of products you can use to try and get rid of the staining already present. Some work better than others. Regular 'ol peroxide on a q-tip worked great for me in the past.

There are also things you can add to the food that suppposedly help. My mother used angel eyes a long time ago and liked it. I don't use it myself. I'm pretty lucky their neither of my poodles have tearing, though both of my tibbies do.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Anyone have any tips to reduce tearing at all? I've heard different foods can help with staining, but my guys just tear (Lincoln more than Tsuki).
What variety of poodles do you have? How old are they?

Minis and Toys often have terrible tear staining. It seems to be genetic.... breed a dog with tear staining.... get a dog with tear staining. Standards don't usually have running eyes.

Many things can cause running:

eye shape
blocked tear ducts
allergies
teething in young dogs
hairs that turn in towards eye
entropia

It might be worth seeing an opthamologist to determine if there is a physical issue.

As noted, the staining does not come from the tearing itself, but from a build up of red yeast in the wet areas. Products like Angel Eyes contain Tylan which is an antibiotic that suppresses growth of the red yeast. You can buy Tylan from livestock supply companies and it is much cheaper than Angel Eyes, but you have to weigh the long term health effects of feeding antibiotics on a regular basis.

I know that people who show Bulldogs use a special wipe pad to minimize the staining in the folds. I think these pads must have peroxide on them and you would have to be very careful about using them around the eyes.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No staining, just tearing. Though I'm not sure if Lincoln maybe his could be stains... but he's a red poodle and the wetness just makes the red.. darker LOL

·
Registered
96 Posts
My friend has a white spoo with moderate to severe tearing. Believe it or not, she fed her dog cooked liver daily for 2 weeks, then as a small snack 2-3 times a week. She started cooking liver and giving it to them daily. That was a few months ago. There are no more stains or tearing. She frys it in a skillet with a little garlic powder and uses a cooking spray. Then cuts it into bite sized pieces and freezes it. The dog loves it!!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Most likly it is allergy and food related. I had a cat like that and the only way I took care of it was feeding her a non wheat,chicken, soy and corn food. For dogs this is easy to find as Diamond Naturals has it and it is less expensive than Nutro and just as good if not better.

When I ran my grooming shop nine times out of ten this would fix the problem. For those it did not it was something in the enviorment. Unless it is something that just showed up, in that case we looked at the dog. But for cronic that has been going on forever it was usually food related. Some feeds just cause problems with some pets.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My friend has a white spoo with moderate to severe tearing. Believe it or not, she fed her dog cooked liver daily for 2 weeks, then as a small snack 2-3 times a week. She started cooking liver and giving it to them daily. That was a few months ago. There are no more stains or tearing. She frys it in a skillet with a little garlic powder and uses a cooking spray. Then cuts it into bite sized pieces and freezes it. The dog loves it!!!!
chicken liver or beef liver?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts