Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Olive, black miniature poodle, 9 months old
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Olive has tear marking on her eyes. She has started drinking filtered tap water but she is eating Kirkland Pet Food since it is the only kibble she will sometimes eat, if we give her a better brand (Orijen, Purina, Ziwi) she will turn her nose and not eat it till she gets treats, Kirkland kibble, table food or Ceaser Pet Food. Her vet warned us that Ceaser Pet food is like junk food and Kirkland is not a good brand. Are there any other things that are causing her tear marks?
Thank you,
Olive Love

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
You need to change her food right away, as Kirkland kibble, table food and Caesar are all very bad food for any dog. Go to your local pet store, pick 8-10 samples of high quality food and give them one by one as a treat. The one she likes the most becomes her food. Unless she is very tiny and/or very young puppy, it’s okay to let her not eat until she does. If you give in, you will end up with a sick dog down the line.

Tear staining is definitely made worse with bad food. It can also be due to water, blocked tear ducts or just small ducts (genetics).

But please, change her food ! What you’re giving her is like you eating MacDonald’s every day...

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts
I am curious to see what tear staining looks like on a black dog. I never really noticed it in any of my dark dogs. Can you show us a picture?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to change her food right away, as Kirkland kibble, table food and Caesar are all very bad food for any dog. Go to your local pet store, pick 8-10 samples of high quality food and give them one by one as a treat. The one she likes the most becomes her food. Unless she is very tiny and/or very young puppy, it’s okay to let her not eat until she does. If you give in, you will end up with a sick dog down the line.

Tear staining is definitely made worse with bad food. It can also be due to water, blocked tear ducts or just small ducts (genetics).

But please, change her food ! What you’re giving her is like you eating MacDonald’s every day...
She just does not eat any good food! I have given her multiple sample foods and she eats a few kibbles and then stops. We have tried almost any food our pet store has. If she does not get what she wants she may not eat for 24 hours and then she becoms very agitated and in a bad mood. Her vet warned that she is still quite lean and under-weight for her breed and age. She does not have small or blocked tear ducts.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
She just does not eat any good food! I have given her multiple sample foods and she eats a few kibbles and then stops. We have tried almost any food our pet store has. If she does not get what she wants she may not eat for 24 hours and then she becoms very agitated and in a bad mood. Her vet warned that she is still quite lean and under-weight for her breed and age. She does not have small or blocked tear ducts.
A grown, adult dog can go easily 72 hours without eating. Why do you think she’s not eating ? She’s trained you and she knows she will get something else if she doesn’t eat it. Poodles are generally lean dogs and maybe your vet is not used to it. Also, if you give her a good food and good routine, she will end up eating more. Now it’s a game of will and she’s winning !

You know what’s best for her and you need to do it. Pick her food and if she doesn’t eat it, too bad, she’ll eat it later. She’s not going to let herself starve...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A grown, adult dog can go easily 72 hours without eating. Why do you think she’s not eating ? She’s trained you and she knows she will get something else if she doesn’t eat it. Poodles are generally lean dogs and maybe your vet is not used to it. Also, if you give her a good food and good routine, she will end up eating more. Now it’s a game of will and she’s winning !

You know what’s best for her and you need to do it. Pick her food and if she doesn’t eat it, too bad, she’ll eat it later. She’s not going to let herself starve...
She is just 6 months old and she gets very miserable and sickly when she does not eat. She also starts jumping on the counter to get food.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm not too sure about tear-staining but like cowpony said I can't think how black fur could be stained - is it possible that the colour is fading rather than staining? (Again, I don't know much about this at all, but maybe some other members with black poodles could help!)

For the food, I would also recommend a gradual switch to minimise any tummy upset (although it is possible that she'll pick out the food she likes and leave the new food). I've seen on another post that Olive likes K9 toppers - could you mix these or some other tasty treat into her new food to make it more enticing?

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
I'm not too sure about tear-staining but like cowpony said I can't think how black fur could be stained - is it possible that the colour is fading rather than staining?
I don’t think you can see stains on a dark dog, since stains are a rusty color. It’s more a crusty / wet look under the eyes.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Annie can get / did get rusty looking spots under her eyes when her face was long. Not sure if it was staining or bleaching. haved her face and they magically disappeared :) Otherwise, I wOLD

As for feeding... I went through this with Annie too. Perhaps not so bad, as I refused to cater. I would consider - what is healthier long term? A dog with continual food issues who regularly refuses to eat, or a dog who at 6 months maybe lost some more weight and was too thin because you spent a few weeks setting her up to eat reliably, but ate well a tester that? My strategy, since I couldn't be mean eno ugh with a puppy to let her not eat, was to divide food into 2-3 meals, One meal a day I added wet food mixed in, so I knew she at least ate 1/3 to half of her calories. The rest? I left it down plain and she could chose to eat or not. I also found she is a late night eater, preferentially eating most of her dry food shortly before bed. I think this is pretty common with poodles. Another trick may be to try feeding her while you are in the room, seated anf ignoring her. We have had many dogs that eat better when their humans are around.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not too sure about tear-staining but like cowpony said I can't think how black fur could be stained - is it possible that the colour is fading rather than staining? (Again, I don't know much about this at all, but maybe some other members with black poodles could help!)

For the food, I would also recommend a gradual switch to minimise any tummy upset (although it is possible that she'll pick out the food she likes and leave the new food). I've seen on another post that Olive likes K9 toppers - could you mix these or some other tasty treat into her new food to make it more enticing?
Olive does not eat toppers if they are with kibble anymore. In the past she would eat the kibble when we added toppers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Olive does not eat toppers if they are with kibble anymore. In the past she would eat the kibble when we added toppers.
Oh no! I’m sorry I can’t think of anything else to suggest other than to try what some of the other members have recommended - please keep us updated and let us know how it goes!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts