Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was browsing Craiglist, and found this poodle that needs to be adopted. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pet/1390533840.html

I e-mailed the lady in interest, and here is the information via e-mail she sent me.

"The adoption fee I'm charging is $600. I've put over $750 into him already. He was in horrible living conditions in Compton, so I bought him and figured if I couldn't keep him, I'd find him a good home. My neighbor bought his sister, and referred me. I got him this past Sunday, but for several reason, I can't keep him in my apartment. I have 2 cats that are scared of him, and it's not fair to my cats. I just figured 1 week with me is better than 1 week where he was. He's been to the Vet and has a clean bill of health! He got an exam, fecal test (no worms!) and his first vaccine. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks, Lori"

He seems to be a real cutie, but not sure if my family is willing to take him in for $600 :( Hopefully he goes to a good home!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I would be careful of LA cl ads. i live in LA and BYB post on CL acting like they are trying to find these pups homes but really they are breeding them and trying to sell them. This is why they wont post price because once they do they will be flagged.

I suggested you look in petfinder.com instead

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be careful of LA cl ads. i live in LA and BYB post on CL acting like they are trying to find these pups homes but really they are breeding them and trying to sell them. This is why they wont post price because once they do they will be flagged.

boo i didn't know that's what's been going on in LA :( i'm so sad to hear about that. :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
3,145 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts

I agree, I was going to say be careful... I'm always cautious of people who post these young pups and claim they rescued them. Not that it doesn't happen, but a lot of BYB and pup agents know that people would rather rescue than buy so they pretend they are rescue pups.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! I'm looking for a poodle as well and didn't realize these are some of the tactics people use to try and sell their dogs!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
$600 for a dog that doesn't have all of it's shots and isn't spay/neutered is BS! Does she have proof that she spent $750 on vet bills or does include his "purchase price." If you are paying that much money for a puppy, it's not rescuing, it's supporting a bad breeder. She just gave them incentive to breed another litter. BYBs/petstores and puppymills don't care why you bought a pup, they just want money. IMO, at $600, that is selling, not rehoming and not rescuing. She is basically a broker, whether she had good intentions or not. Is she going to refund part of that when the pup is neutered?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! I'm looking for a poodle as well and didn't realize these are some of the tactics people use to try and sell their dogs!
Yep, people are super sneaky! I already talked about one experience I had where the woman claimed she was rehoming the dog on behalf of an elderly couple who couldn't handle it. Maybe that's true, but this dog acted so skittish and weird about being outside that we decided it had probably come straight from a puppy mill.

You even have to be careful on Petfinder. Some of the "Rescues" on there are really no more than brokers for puppy mills. I read something useful - it said if a Rescue always has puppies/ desigener cross breeds and never has any older, mutt type dogs then it's probably not a real rescue.

Puppy Mill breeders are smart and know they are getting bad press. So they'll do anything they can to get their pups into the hands of unsuspecting buyers/

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
TO be listed on Petfinder you ahve to be a 501 (c)3 non profit & all papers have to be mailed to Petfinder when applying. So I think you would be hard pressed to find a miller on Petfinder. ;)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
TO be listed on Petfinder you ahve to be a 501 (c)3 non profit & all papers have to be mailed to Petfinder when applying. So I think you would be hard pressed to find a miller on Petfinder. ;)
They might not be on there themselves - but I know for a fact (at least here in Canada) that you can't trust that every rescue group is legit. Maybe the process is different in the States? I spent a lot of time talking to some Rescue groups here in Toronto who told me about some abuse of the site that has been going on.

Not knocking Petfinder at all - I love that site! I have been stalking it for 5 months to find my pup. Probably 95% of the groups who post there are legit. Just saying you have to be careful of everyone/ everything on the Internet. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
They might not be on there themselves - but I know for a fact (at least here in Canada) that you can't trust that every rescue group is legit. Maybe the process is different in the States? I spent a lot of time talking to some Rescue groups here in Toronto who told me about some abuse of the site that has been going on.

Not knocking Petfinder at all - I love that site! I have been stalking it for 5 months to find my pup. Probably 95% of the groups who post there are legit. Just saying you have to be careful of everyone/ everything on the Internet. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
lol I agree not everything is as it seams but I had to send in the app for my local rescue and we had to have vet references and all kinds of crap. But then again that was about 5 years ago so I don't know now.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Sorry to dissapoint, but there is a rescue in CA, run by a former tv superhero's sidekick, that is puppymill. They always have puppies available, have many rare breeds and even a few breeds they've created. (Sasquatch) I believe they started out as legitimate Great Dane rescue and then went off the deep end. I have no idea if you even have to be a non-profit to be listed on Petfinder and many small rescue groups would just as soon not mess w/ the hassle. PETA funds terrorist organizations (ALF) and they still have their non-profit status, so how hard can it be for a puppymill to obtain and keep it.

Petfinder has been notified of this groups sketchy pratices as have the local authorities, btw.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
This is kind of off topic... But IMO some rescues are fueling the problem of mills by going to auctions and buying the pups. Where's the incentive to stop breeding huge volumes of puppies if you know that some kind hearted rescue is going to step in and give you money for themany that you couldn't sell through brokers or pet stores?

I totally understand their motives as I'm sure the pups they buy go on to great homes. But as long as the millers have a market for their product (whether that be direct to the consumer or through a rescue) then there's no reason for them to stop.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Sorry to dissapoint, but there is a rescue in CA, run by a former tv superhero's sidekick, that is puppymill. They always have puppies available, have many rare breeds and even a few breeds they've created. (Sasquatch)
Yuck... That just makes the work of real rescues harder! Now they have to prove they're legit to a suspecting public, plus they have to compete with a so called "rescue" that forever has cute pups.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Sorry to dissapoint, but there is a rescue in CA, run by a former tv superhero's sidekick, that is puppymill. They always have puppies available, have many rare breeds and even a few breeds they've created. (Sasquatch) I believe they started out as legitimate Great Dane rescue and then went off the deep end. I have no idea if you even have to be a non-profit to be listed on Petfinder and many small rescue groups would just as soon not mess w/ the hassle. PETA funds terrorist organizations (ALF) and they still have their non-profit status, so how hard can it be for a puppymill to obtain and keep it.

Petfinder has been notified of this groups sketchy pratices as have the local authorities, btw.
Ahh, I just found them! How could anyone even think they are a legit rescue? No legit rescue has a website that looks like that, with that many dog breeds listed. Disgusting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts