Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Galen is showing signs of being a yappy dog. When he wants something he will stare at me and give an imperious little yip. If I don't oblige him with whatever he wants, he progresses to bouncing up and down while yipping. For now I'm dealing with the situation by ignoring him until he settles down.
Ian Dunbar suggests teaching dogs to bark on command. IIRC the idea is that when "bark" becomes a task like "sit" or "down," then you can link "stop barking" to a release. I was wondering if anyone had tried this method, and if it worked.
I've only taught one other dog to bark, back when I was a teenager. It didn't work out well. The dog simply added barking to the list of things (sit, rollover, beg, wave, spin) that he did in sequence whenever he got overexcited by the possibility of a treat. I'd created a monster, lol.
I'm wondering if Dunbar's suggestion is worth trying, since I've got a bit more understanding of training now than I did as a teenager. Or will I just create another monster?

·
Super Moderator
5,372 Posts
I don't want barking in Peggy's "I WANT THAT THING NOW" repertoire. Like you said, dogs tend to cycle through their learned behaviours in the hopes something will work.

Galen's still so young and malleable, I wonder if just ignoring the barking might pay off quickly. So many dogs don't really find their voice until later in development, when it's trickier to break habits.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Well I'd probably do as your doing the ignore. Then again I've never had luck with dogs that bark. Renn barked at me when he had to go potty. At first I didn't get it until he showed me, lol Then I learned and I started taking him out again before he started to bak in my face. He isn't a big barker thank goodness. My husband gets annoyed at times when he does bark but he now only barks when he sees someone nearby out thru the front door. I'm working on that with "taking a look" telling him ok.. That seems to be working he will then sit and watch. We have a cairn terrier who is a barker, just put your hand on a doorknob to come in or out orang little sound, that sets her off. We tried to teach the bark but frankly it didn't work then again she is a terrier and they bark. I've also had mini schnauzers who also like to bark. So I hope this is just a puppy phase and ignoring or saying no and redirecting him to something will help.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I wouldn't teach a bark command. He should have a place to lie down, a blanket or crate. I would teach him to go to the lie down place.

Point to the object and say "place" or "lie down" or "bed"... whatever. Drop a small treat down. Could be a kibble. Repeat over and over. At some point he will go lie down. Praise, pet, and treat (this will work faster with a clicker). Dial it down. When. he is obnoxious, tell him to go lie down. Praise.

·
Super Moderator
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't teach a bark command. He should have a place to lie down, a blanket or crate. I would teach him to go to the lie down place.

Point to the object and say "place" or "lie down" or "bed"... whatever. Drop a small treat down. Could be a kibble. Repeat over and over. At some point he will go lie down. Praise, pet, and treat (this will work faster with a clicker). Dial it down. When. he is obnoxious, tell him to go lie down. Praise.
We have only just started to work on sit & down, since he's not quite 3 months old yet. Mostly at this point we're just treating him when he offers the behavior. He certainly seems to enjoy the empowerment he gets from knowing the correct commands to order us to give him a treat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts