Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tea cup poodle he is 2 1/2 years old. He is up to date with all shots. The last 6 months he has had 4 seizures each one worst than the last. He will be sleeping or sitting on the back of the couch when all of a sudden he starts to shack has a blank stare in his eyes lasting up to 5 mins. when he is done he is tired and sleeps. I told his vet she said that small dogs sometimes happens. I am wondering any advice on how to control them.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
How much does your poodle weigh? I'd get a 2nd opinion from another vet if it were me. Did he have a full blood work-up or any other kind of thorough exam? That just doesn't sound right to me unless he has some kind of particular issue going on.

Reactions: Rose n Poos

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Extremely small poodles often have more health problems. I hope your toy poodle gets better soon. Please see a vet as soon as possible.

·
Registered
351 Posts
That's all your vet said!?
Like Dechi said, yes the extreme tiny dogs are more likely to have issues. 'Normal' small dogs no more likely than large though.
Blood work should be done (ideally right after he has a seizure) to assess possible causes like liver issues or hypoglycemia. If that is all normal, the only way to control seizures is with prescription medication like phenobarbital or keppra.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts