Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tea cup poodle he is 2 1/2 years old. He is up to date with all shots. The last 6 months he has had 4 seizures each one worst than the last. He will be sleeping or sitting on the back of the couch when all of a sudden he starts to shack has a blank stare in his eyes lasting up to 5 mins. when he is done he is tired and sleeps. I told his vet she said that small dogs sometimes happens. I am wondering any advice on how to control them.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
If you can, take a video to show you vet and keep records on a calendar marking down each seizure and details about it. Show it to your vet and let them determine if he needs medication or not.

If your vet isn't helping, you might want to see a neurologist vet.

You can also use the "search community" in the black line above to find older posts on seizures - you might find something helpful written by someone who no longer visits.

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
How much does your toy poodle weigh ? Very small toys are often prone to more health problems. Ethical breeders try to stay away from breeding them but sometimes they do pop up in litters.

I hope your little one is okay.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I have a tea cup poodle he is 2 1/2 years old. He is up to date with all shots. The last 6 months he has had 4 seizures each one worst than the last. He will be sleeping or sitting on the back of the couch when all of a sudden he starts to shack has a blank stare in his eyes lasting up to 5 mins. when he is done he is tired and sleeps. I told his vet she said that small dogs sometimes happens. I am wondering any advice on how to control them.
You need to take a video and also track how often and how long they happen. You also need to work with a vet who is knowledgeable about seizures/comfortable treating a dog that has them.

My second dog started having seizures early in life, and needed to remain on medicine until she passed. She still had seizures even when on the medicine.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My dog's breeder has a rescued toy poodle that has seizures. She said it was on medication for them for years, but still had seizures, until she started it on CBD oil. The seizures have completely gone away from what I remember. There are options. It's certainly not "just something that happens."

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I think if its something that continues its not "something that just happens". I would more than likely seek the advise of another vet as there are medications that can ease or for the most part eliminate seizures. I would video what you believe to be a seizure to be sure it is one as dogs do sometimes move or shake some in their sleep or when waking abruptly. I've had dogs that look like their trying to run a few seconds in their sleep but those were not seizures, just dreams.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this. No good vet would say "that just happens" when it comes to something as serious as seizures. What sort of tests did they run? Until you know what's causing them (or at least rule out certain situations, like a tumour), I'm not sure how you can begin to treat them.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
You can also use the "search community" in the black line above to find older posts on seizures - you might find something helpful written by someone who no longer visits.
HA! Smarty-pants... or by somebody who still does visit. ;)

I think between all the 'Seizure' threads in here we've pretty much written the book.

I only have one new item to add to my list of observations and recommendations. I'm gonna research CBD oil for Tonka. Not so much for seizures, he rarely does now, but for the general aches, pains, and stiffness of a 15 year old dog.

It is useful for that purpose, and may have some calming effect on seizures.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have heard that poodles (especially toys and teacups) can have sometimes have seizures from the use of flea and tick treatments, such as Advantix, Frontline, Bravecto and even the Seresto collar. Is your boy on any of those treatments? I know of someone who spent so much money at the vet on testing trying to figure out why her rescue poodle, who never had seizures in the past, was suddenly having seizures. Well, the new owner was using Advantix on this toy poodle, and that was the cause. When the flea/tick treatment was stopped, the seizures stopped. If you're using any of those treatments, I would stop using them for a few months and see if the seizures subside.

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
Just for education purposes, there is no such thing as a « tea cup » poodle. It’s just a marketing term to sell more puppies. There are three poodles varieties in North America : toy, miniature and standard.

Any poodle that is 10 inches and less (from toy poodles parents) is a toy poodle. (A dog 10 inches or less from miniature parents would be called an undersized miniature but that’s another story).

Sorry for digressing. I hope the OP’s dog is doing better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
True Dechi! There was one puppy of my toy poodle's littermates that was tiny, maybe will be 3 pounds full grown. The breeder said that a poodle that small is something she never, ever tries to breed, but sometimes that just happens sometimes in a toy litter. When they are that tiny they can have all sorts of health problems, and are also very fragile. I do feel bad when I hear of breeders specifically breeding for that tiny size; it's not fair to the dogs. Hoping Mr. T's tiny toy is feeling better?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts