Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frosty *may* be attending a benched show next month, which means wire crates are required. I got rid of the wire crates when I switched to soft crates, so now I need to buy one again :ahhhhh: I would ideally like him in a 36", but he is tall and needs some head space. 27" tall is not tall enough--he needs like at least 30" tall. If I can't find a 36" that is tall enough, I'll buy a 42". Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
23,166 Posts
I have never entered at a benched show. Does it really say you must have a wire crate? If yes that is pretty annoying especially since I am sure Frosty is a perfect gentleman in his soft crate. I am guessing they don't want any private ex pens, but a 36" high ex pen would work if you could take that.

I have to use a wire crate for Javelin but can't really fit a big enough one for him not to have to duck his head a little in the back of my vehicle. Since he generally settles at all times except for entry and exit that is what we do. All of the wire crates we have had are Midwest brand.

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Registered
25 Posts
Midwest is usually what I buy now although the quality doesn't seem to be what it once was. I really liked Kennel-Aire crates back when they were still available.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, fully covered wire crate is required, even for rally exhibitors :angry: And yes, he sure is a perfect gentleman in his soft crate, which I usually cover to keep him cozy and secure. Also can't use a cover at this show! So, I may not bring him. I don't want to stress my boy out.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
The 36" Midwest can be purchased on Amazon with free shipping until January 31st! Bigger or smaller sizes too!
(I like the Midwest because it has roller feet!)

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I have a 42" Midwest that I got on Amazon years ago when our boxer was a pup,.Renn uses it now. Its well made and has little roller feet that helps when I slide it out to dust n wash the kitchen floor. I think I only paid like $65. for it. I also have a kong folded up wire crate sitting in my garage that someone gave me. I keep it in case I ever have to evacuate (hurricanes) with my dogs.

·
Premium Member
23,166 Posts
Javelin's head would fall off if I couldn't cover his crate. I guess I won't be entering any benched shows with him.

·
Registered
397 Posts
What venue? Interesting that they really require a wire crate. Westminster agility was a benched trial and there were no crate specifications, I crated, as did many, many other people, in soft crates. No covering requirements either and there were huge amounts of spectators/public constantly walking through the benching area....

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is for the Golden Gate Kennel Club, which I believe is the only benched show on the west coast.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
You're correct Zooeysmom; it is the only benched show left on the West Coast. Or shows; I know each day is now a separate show. Smaller than it used to be, but still enjoyable as an observer; less so as an exhibitor, I'm sure. Many seem to prefer to go to the Palm Springs show that's the same weekend or nearly the same time.

ETA: I just measured, and Oliver's is too small.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're correct Zooeysmom; it is the only benched show left on the West Coast. Or shows; I know each day is now a separate show. Smaller than it used to be, but still enjoyable as an observer; less so as an exhibitor, I'm sure. Many seem to prefer to go to the Palm Springs show that's the same weekend or nearly the same time.
Palm Springs is the first weekend of January--almost went to that one!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Oh, wow, moved way up! Several times in past years, it was the same weekend as GGKC.

Btw, edited the earlier comment to say I measured Ol's wire crate, but it's not nearly roomy enough for Frosty, or we could have shared over the weekend. Roomy for Oliver, but he's so much smaller.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, you are so sweet, Streetcar :love: Thank you for your thoughtfulness.

Yeah, Palm Springs is the first weekend in Jan. and GGKC is the last weekend. I was super tempted to go to Palm Springs, but it is just so far and expensive, plus Frosty doesn't do nearly as well on grass as he does indoors!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
That probably makes it easier for anyone heading to Westminster. They moved the site a few years back and I know it's not right in Palm Springs any longer (unless it's moved back now), but I still call it Palm Springs :). Bet it is expensive, indeed.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Midwest Solutions makes a crate designed to fit two crates side by side... the large crate is 42 x 21 x 30 inches. We had one, and the narrower width did make it a lot easier to maneuver. We were worried about the dog not having enough room to stretch his legs out when he was asleep, but his preferred sleeping position was on his back with his legs sticking up. He had plenty of room for that. Chewys carries the crate.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you, Charmed! 21" wide seems awfully narrow for my long-legged guy who does like to lie down on his side, but love that height.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Pet Food Express has a black wire crate from Contour 42"x28"x30" for 69.99. 10.00 more for 48"x30"x33". I looked up the weights and they are 39lbs and 48lbs, respectively.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts