Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... so I switched TQ and Tate to Taste of the Wild. TQ is doing great it, loves it. Tate loves it too, but he... well... he is doing mediocre on it.

His well... poop... is well... soft.

TQ has started having really tiny poop, it is awesome. And this is probably the first time in my life I have been excited about poop. I don't have kids yet, so that is probably why this is only the first :)

I was talking about food with my mother and A today and this weekend, specifically regarding Tate. Oddly, the food that he does best on is the wet/soft Chef Michael's. I HATE giving it to him, but on it he has hard poop and it is the same size as his poop now. It's almost like he isn't absorbing anything from the TotW. My mom said something along the lines of that he may have a sensitive stomach, and that some of her friends' greyhounds can't eat nice food as it is too rich. So they feed stuff like Eukanuba. Ugh.

I priced it, and he would eat two a day... it is $9 for 6 days worth of food. Not cheap. I'll have to look into other soft crummy foods. He's a white trash poodle, lol. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have 3 Standards, and feed grain free, too, rotating the 3 options of EVO kibble, which is pricey, but I add either fresh meats or canned (Evanger's or EVO), along with fresh steamed vegetables (spinach, kale, green beans, asparagus), so they're not just eating dry kibble. While EVO is a premium food, it is what it is - kibble! I buy beef roasts on sale, chicken, ground sirloin, liver, etc, which ends up to be pretty economical, and actually less than if I just gave them dog food. I make a pot roast with baby carrots and little red new potatoes that they share with me! LOL

Other foods include sardines in spring water, wild alaskan salmon, eggs - hard boiled or omelettes with spinach and French Mountain Cheese. They also like pasta with a little red sauce and meatballs (made in the oven). Blueberries, which are good for dogs, is a favorite, but they also enjoy melons, apples, pears, plain, live culture yogurt, lowfat cottage cheese, and they love their mama when I give them the occasional dollop of sour cream! They do well on a variety of different foods.

If your dog's stool is too soft, try adding plain canned pumpkin to their food (NOT pumpkin pie filling!).

·
Registered
178 Posts
You must which foods slowly to give the dog's digestive system a change to get used to the new foods. For some dogs you might want to start out giving the new food as treats between meals then progress to one separate feeding of the new stuff. There are many different (new) protein sources in TOW food and if your dog has never had them before it may take some time for his body to get use to it. Adding digestive enzymes should help.

On the other hand the food may be too rich for your dog period. Just go slow and give to time . All dogs are different. I have been told that California Natural has the least amount of different ingredients but it does contain rice. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Some dogs just do better on craptastic foods. Orijen was WAY too rich for my guys tummies.

You could try a Limited Ingredient formula...I can't remember which brand makes the one I'm thinking of, but I know a few good food companies are making them now. Perhaps Tate just needs something simple like that, and it's still good quality food.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
This is why I switched to RAW - I am only on Day 4 though and we have a ways to go to see the benefits and I am crossing my fingers. With that being said they are all eating very well, they LOVE it and if you can shop around for the meats at about 60-70 cents a lb - its the same as what I was spending on premium kibble. It's not as messy and time consuming as I thought either:)

With that being said - no soft or runny poos accept Suri....as you know, she's my belly problem child and it was one incident and that was it. I am hoping to see this improve but may have to accept that every 10 days or so she is going to having runny poop.

I was got sick of changing kibble.....and it was more so for one dog or the simple fact they just did not care for it. I sure hope you find a cure for the problems no matter what diet you give:)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies guys...

I switched Tate over to Taste of the Wild incredibly slowly, over about 4 or 5 weeks, as I know of his sensitive tummy. With TQ, I just switched her pretty quickly, as she has a stomach of steel. One other thing that A finally noticed about his poop that I already had... other than the softness... is that he NEVER seems to stop pooping. He doesn't normally stop every 30 feet on a walk to pop a squat and drop some off, but that is exactly what he has done on every walk since switching to TotW. I know dogs work poop out when they run and exercise, however this is at the point where he isn't even able to have fun on his walk because he is having to stop and poop LITERALLY every few minutes. And it stinks because I have to tote it around until we find a trashcan!

I also have learned that he doesn't do well on raw. Or at least days that we do raw as a special thing. He always has runny poop when we feed chicken OR beef (I can't do fish. I just can't!) He is very sensitive, but I'm not thinking it is an allergy to either. He has no other problems but the runny poop, no itchy skin, extra runny eyes... nothin'. I would love to feed raw, as I've researched and read and read about it... but it all really comes down to lack of freezer space. We don't even have enough room for OUR food!

Guess I will be researching what foods I can get for him and once I switch, TQ can have the giant bag of TotW to herself... and we will never finish it. :D lol

We're also on a price budget as to what I can buy. EVO is too expensive, Orijen isn't sold around here and is also expensive, but I also pretty much refuse to buy extremely terrible food or food that my family has had bad experiences with. I'm going to give him a few more weeks, I suppose... but still be on the look out for something else for him. It never ends!

·
Registered
875 Posts
his poo was probably firmer on the other stuff because it had grain in it
Grain= fiber

could you cook some rice and add it to the kibble? or oatmeal
My dogs love oatmeal :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
My dogs like Blue Buffalo mixed with canned food. Today we tried Merrick's New Zealand dinner (it had four lamb sausages, potatoes carrots and peas), and they really liked it. Of course, they dragged it all over my cream carpet and I nearly had a heart attack, but they loved it. My dogs can't have chicken in their foods at all. Lamb or fish is best for them.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
his poo was probably firmer on the other stuff because it had grain in it
Grain= fiber

could you cook some rice and add it to the kibble? or oatmeal
My dogs love oatmeal :)
I suppose the fiber thing makes sense. However I would be more convinced that was why his poop wasn't solid if I didn't come home just now to a solid pile of TQ's poop in my floor (plus some nasty poop barf because she evidently has been outside sampling the big boys' poop. They don't eat the same stuff, so...)

I will give him some rice later tonight (he just had his dinner), which will be easy, as he loves rice... and hopefully that will help his tummy. And I don't actually think we own any REGULAR oats, we just have the instant oatmeal, lol.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I suppose the fiber thing makes sense. However I would be more convinced that was why his poop wasn't solid if I didn't come home just now to a solid pile of TQ's poop in my floor (plus some nasty poop barf because she evidently has been outside sampling the big boys' poop. They don't eat the same stuff, so...)

I will give him some rice later tonight (he just had his dinner), which will be easy, as he loves rice... and hopefully that will help his tummy. And I don't actually think we own any REGULAR oats, we just have the instant oatmeal, lol.
Oatmeal is oatmeal meh LOL

just because one dog does well on something, doesn't mean that another will

Brian flourishes on foods with grains, has screaming diahrrea (sp) on foods without.

the girls do well on most things, the Borzoi cant have soy, Kaden cant have lamb, Gotti could eat tin cans and not have any issues.

...better question... find a food that all my dogs can eat!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See, growing up, all of our dogs could always eat anything. We didn't know about allergies because we didn't have to deal with them. TQ can eat whatever she wants normally, with no qualms, A's evil dog can't have lamb (it makes him gassy, etc.), but the greyhound is pretty even stomached.

I made and gave rice a bit ago... we'll see if that does anything for the tummies.

I have settled on the fact that I will most likely have to downgrade Tate to a... eh... food. It just stinks. And we thought the evil dog being allergic to lamb was bad enough!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
ugh- my oly advice is to stick with it for a while. and if it doesn't settle try something else that is good quality but a easier to digest formular (Bison? lamb, fish? )

could be he's getting more liquids in then normal.

Re teh raw- i know quite a few dogs get the 'runs' when first switching over- it's due to the excess liquids IMO. ... (IE they are not rehydrating anything in their stomach)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts