Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I signed Meek up for tracking classes and we start this Saturday.

We did our homework assignment this morning. I had to make a path in some fresh grass without Meek, then stomp a circle and sprinkle treats in the circle. There were 3 squirrels in the park and I thought for sure Meek would chase after them instead of tracking my scent, but he did it 100% and found the treats quite quickly.

I am very excited for our first class this weekend.

If he likes it, i'll look up the CKC tracking title (TD) details and train for it. :)

Have you done this with your poodles? What was your experience like?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hi - I have done tracking with three of my dogs - not my poodle though. It is my favorite sport and I have taught many first time trackers. I used to be the VP of the Hudson Valley Tracking Club for a few years - it is such a fun sport. Will attach a pic of me and my Ollie tracking - he is 3 months old in that one...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,898 Posts
The poodles and I are wannabe trackers. I work on it in fits and starts. Unfortunately there is no one on Long Island who tracks because they are all too worried about ticks. Every time I manage to get out and work I am reminded of how much they love it. Lily always remembers everything we've worked on.

·
Premium Member
9,574 Posts
I am very interested in hearing all about tracking. We’ve tried some scent training inside, but I’ve never set up a trail.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Tracking looks like a lot of fun. Sadly I'm one of those afraid of ticks - on me - Babykins takes tick medication, but I don't.

We started nose work which is related - lots of fun, the dogs really love it - tons of treats.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The poodles and I are wannabe trackers. I work on it in fits and starts. Unfortunately there is no one on Long Island who tracks because they are all too worried about ticks. Every time I manage to get out and work I am reminded of how much they love it. Lily always remembers everything we've worked on.
An agility friend who also trains her BCs in tracking has mentioned the ticks in IL. I really want to do this, as my dogs have nose to ground anyway, so will have to be vigilant in inspecting the dogs afterward. Her dog’s tick showed up at the groomers.

For humans, if you’re okay with insecticide, spray the bottoms of your pants. It’s what our staff do when they go into the field.

·
Premium Member
22,898 Posts
I do spray the bottoms of my pants, shoes and socks with permethrin. In colder weather I have gaiters already impregnated with repellent. Our dogs have never really had any ticks, but they are very attracted to me (UUGGHHHH).

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have dear friends on Long Island who schlepp up to New Paltz to track - as a matter of fact my friend Scott replaced me as VP. Regarding ticks - yes you can get them with tracking - however you can get them just as easily anywhere else. The first level tracking title TD - is so flat and regular you can lay tracks in parks and lawns and parking lots. Later on for TDX you will hoove it through some rougher terrain - but for a plain tracking title your tick exposure should not be more than in regular hikes. Living in the Hudson Valley - having Lyme and also now more commonly Anaplasmosis is something you can get when your entire outdoor experience is walking from your car to the front door - my husband is living proof.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts