Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the plunge today and ordered my own clippers! I ordered the Andis Ultra (blue color), and a couple of blades (toe and body), along with clipper rinse and clipper cool. After paying $45 for a less than satisfactory grooming last week (not even the sanitary was done, much less the base of the tail; face was patchy; feet were ok), I figured I can relearn how to do it myself. I used to clip my mom's poodles way back when. Fonzie's just a pet, so I will keep him in the puppy clip, which is pretty easy.

I know Fonzie is no prize to groom, so I figure I can work on desensitizing him at home by letting him hear the clippers more often. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Contrats and good luck! I started grooming Cash myself with helpful advice from people here and another forum! I couldn't pay $75.00 plus an hour drive everytime he needs to be groomed!

Have fun!

Oh, hey, I used to ride and show horses in Newnan, GA! I miss that area soooooo much!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Best of luck! I can't wait to see pictures of your handy work :) You'll do a great job once you get into the swing of it !

·
Registered
263 Posts
It is very rewarding to do your own grooming. I love doing the feet, face and tail part. The body and legs are still a challange to me. It is very relaxing for me to brush Grace out after a long day of massaging people! Good luck....can't wait to hear about all your progress along the way.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
How difficult is it to actually self-groom a poodle? I know that question is probably dependent on the poodle itself
but after paying close to $60 for Elphie's last groom I've been really hesitant on taking her back to the groomer
((she was cut under the arm and bled for close to half an hour after we got there, as well as having half her muzzle still left shaggy))

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, at least Fonzie wasn't cut! I know he's probably a pill being groomed, but the tail wasn't done at all, neither was the area under the tail-where it really needs it! His muzzle also has a lot of shaggy hair on it, as well. I probably won't be able to do much better at first, but I can't do it more often and get him used to it. I may try Rescue Remedy the first time and see if that helps a little bit. I know I won't be posting pictures anytime soon - LOL!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
how difficult it is also depends on you confidence, and your equipment. You really need a table or bench to groom on, and some decent clippers. Then it's really just a case of getting used to it, and remembering that fur does grow back!!! lol.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
The cutting wasn't what bothered me it was the fact that she told me she had "nicked" her and it was almost a gash
in all honesty it may have been Elphies fault she's probably not the best pooch to stand still too long but I would have liked to known about it before we got to the car.

I'm not bad mouthing groomers either xD
you all seem like amazing people and if you lived close to me I'd definitely bring Elphie to some of you ^_^

my dad has a work station in our garage its like a table with hooks and actually looks pretty similar to a groomers table, are there recommendations on reading material or internet material, grooming tools anything of that sort that might make grooming her for the first time easier?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Keep in mind Keithsomthing that a nick in a place like under the arm will look sort of like a gash just by nature of the way the skin there is and the shape of the area.

So sorry to hear your baby was cut though, thats a shame.

It really isn't super difficult to do it youself I don't think as long as you have control over your dog and have the right tools. You'd be wise to invest first in a decent grooming poodle with photos to show you how to clip areas like the feet and face. A picture is worth a ton after all :)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Yeah looking at her now you can't even see where it was cut so I may have over exaggerated I was just a little worried because...shes like a child to me xDD lol that sounds so lame but its true

I've been talking to my mom about self grooming her to save on money and perhaps to get an even stronger bond with Elphie?
she thinks its a good idea and is calling the local pet stores for books and videos on how to groom a poodle ((One of her close friends use to breed afghan hounds as well as being a groomer but her arthritis got way to bad, but now owns a pet store in town and she pointed us towards a few good books and she offered to show us how to shave her face and feet if we liked)) and its been pretty useful
reading the grooming threads on here as helped us on our search as well
:D so thank you all for your help and being such a resource

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Ah if somebody can show you how to do the face that would be ideal. Thats the only thing that kind of scares me sometimes. It seems like common sense to me to do it against the grain and keep the blade pointed away from the eye. Imagine my shock when a new groomer interviewed for a position at my old shop and nearly took the dog's eye out when she was asked if she could show me a clean face. Needless to say she didn't get the job LoL and my poor nerves saw me home early that afternoon.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
lol Yeah I would think the same thing we also have a shih-tzu so I won't be the only one whose learning how to groom my mom wants learn somethings so she can groom him herself haha
=]]

Sherie ((the pet store owner)) said that she would be more than happy to help us out in learning how to do it properly so we're gonna buy what me we need and try for ourselves shortly

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
We had to learn to groom our own poodles because it would have been ridiculously expensive to have all five groomed on a regular basis. We did research, bought books, downloaded lots of pics of winning puppies and dogs in continentals that we really liked and asked questions in the grooming section on this forum. We bought grooming equipment over several months and have just about everything we could possibly want for it. We have a laptop computer set up with our favorite clips when we groom and look at it often.

All of our dogs were started as soon as we brought them home from their breeders. It was a bit nerve racking at first for us and them. We groom once a week to 10 days and as time went on, everyone got used to the routine and the fussing and Billy and Grace will actually lie down on their sides and go to sleep while they are being worked on. Giving treats every now and then when they are asked to do something like lie down on their side and then roll over for the other side helped a lot too. We find the feet and the end of the muzzle to be the most challenging as they never really like that part.

After many months of working with our dogs, we have found that it really is a great bonding experience. We have improved a great deal and are doing our continentals now. I think you will really enjoy grooming your own dogs.

We still need help with the continental and will be posting and asking questions here for fine tuning.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I'm really excited about it now
I'm pretty nervous about it but really excited to try and do it myself lol
are there any supplies you all would suggest?

·
Registered
268 Posts
you guys are inspiring me...I'm getting tired of the drive/wait/$60 each time as well...

Groomers in our area are sooooo expensive...it costs anywhere from 60-110, for a PUPPY- even when she was 13 weeks old, no one would do a simple feet face tail for less than that! AND only one place I could find charge 60, the majority were 75-80....

Back in the LA area, our bichon was going to the groomer all the time for 40-50 for a full groom, the works!

So many of you all groom your own and their faces always look so nice! Can you tell me how often you shaved their faces?

Thank you!

·
Registered
26 Posts
We get the full service 65.00 every 6-7 weeks. At about 4 weeks I do the FFT. The shop is walking distance to home,I'm lucky. The shop owner has poos so I would never chance going to the big box stores

Attachments

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I do Paris' face feet & tail with a 30 blade every 10-14 days. If for any reason I use a longer blade, it doesn't last as long.
At the moment I'm doing it every 7 days, just so her moustace starts showing up better. lol!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I decided to try dremmeling Fonzie's nails today while I'm waiting on my new clippers to arrive (previously, I'd cut his nails). I did my other 2 dogs first (and Fonzie was completely interested in the treats each one got when they were done! ), so he could observe and get used to the sound of the dremmel. He was completely curious, sticking his nose right next to the dremmel. When it was his turn, he was squirmy, but better than I thought he'd be. Of course, he got a special treat after each foot, and I actually got all 4 feet done the first time. Maybe there's hope for the clippers! :)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I completely self taught myself with the face clipping.
Just read about it and did it. And it help that Saffy was really well behaved and didn't put to much of a struggle up. I don't get it perfect, but it still looks pretty good lol
The only problem now is having a decent pair of clippers or sharp blades lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts