Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I need some advice ASAP. At present i own a year old ****zu called Marley. I have been thinking for some time about getting a second companion for me and Marley. I have been asked if i woulod take in a 7 month old male minature poodle, the lady that owns him can,t keep him because her elder dog keeps trying to attack him. He lives at present with 3 cats and 2 dogs, he is a mellow boy.I have owned dogs all of my life but never a Poodle, i have researched the internet but really need first hand information. I really woiuld love to take this dog. How much does it cost to keep a poodle,diet excersise etc. I would really appreciate a reply ASAP as i am picking him up tommorow. Is a Poodle a good choice as a second dog. Thank you. Replys ASAP PlEASE.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I think whether he's a good choice or not is probably up to your shih tzu, really. How does he get on with other animals?

Poodles can cost a lot to groom, unless you learn to do it yourself.

They require a moderate amount of exercise and will need a place to zoom around occasionally. I think they're pretty adaptable to your lifestyle, as long as they are getting at least two daily walks.

They are fantastic dogs though, very smart and loving. Good luck with him!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Marian. Thank you for your reply. Yes Marley does get on with other dogs he loves to play. Can you tell me about diet,food,excersise etc on this breed. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Food.... probably the same as the Shih Tzu. As long as a Poodle is doing well on a food, there is no reason to change. Chronic ear infections, itching or hot spots and running eyes (though this can be genetic) are all usually signs of food allergies. In that case, exploring foods with unusual proteins (venison, fish, duck etc.) and without grains might be in order.

Grooming.... You already have a breed that needs to be groomed. I would imagine that the cost of grooming a Poodle is similar to grooming a Shih Tzu. Typically a Poodle is groomed every 6-8 weeks with weekly brushing required in between.

Exercise.... Mini Poodles are very athletic. They love to run and jump and play. You will get more exercise bang for your buck from playing fetch than you will from short 30 minute walks. I don't know if you are a runner, but an adult Mini is fully capable of keeping up with a jogger on 2-5 mile runs.

Training..... The big difference you will find with your Mini is the lightening speed at which they think. It is very important to keep a Poodle's mind occupied because if you don't, they will start inventing jobs for themselves. Teach your Mini little tricks that he can perform and you will keep him happy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you.

Thank you for your reply. I dont wont to leave this little boy. The lady is lovley but he is not nutered and i am worried the wrong person will get him. My dog will love the company, i do take him out, but the area i live in is full of disrespectful dog owners. Marley trys to play with our cat like a dog. I have a nice sercure back garden that they can play and chill out in.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I dont wont to leave this little boy. The lady is lovley but he is not nutered and i am worried the wrong person will get him. My dog will love the company, i do take him out, but the area i live in is full of disrespectful dog owners. Marley trys to play with our cat like a dog. I have a nice sercure back garden that they can play and chill out in.
Good for you to take on this Mini. It sounds like you have an ideal home situation. Word of caution though.... I doubt the two dogs will "chill out" in the garden. They are more likely to run around like a bunch of hooligans! :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
We got an older mini puppy, and as far as integrating him into our home, it was fairly easy. He had the basics of paper training down, and has caught on fairly quickly to going outside. We are working on obedience now, and my husband does run with him, but he has LOTS and LOTS of energy. There isn't a day where he doesn't just take off running the house in circles.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
You've already gotten tons of great advice. I just thought I would suggest seeing if his current owner would agree to a trial period. Maybe a week? Just to see if both dogs get along and the new guy fit in w/ you family. Please post pics of both dogs when you get a chance. I'm sure the Poodle is beautiful and I love Shih Tzus too. (I currently have a Maltese and if/when I ever get another toy dog, Tzus are definately on the short list.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts