Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the puppy weight thread I got to thinking if Mia would be a good girl if I kept her from her food. She's very food motiviated and I hand done it when I got her after she growled at Harry but not lately. So I put her food down and put my hand in her bowl and messed around and she stayed out of the bowl and backed up. She made a whine because she wanted it but she backed up and waited until I was done messing around. I think this is good behavior right?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes, it is fine. Dogs will often growl at each other in power plays over food bowls. It doesn't mean she has issues with you or even that those issues with the other dog will generalize to other things, though that can happen (especially with highly coveted toys or bones) and is something to watch out for. Yogi will growl at the other dogs even though they are in kennels and can't even get to his food. However, if they are out and get to his food (he is a notoriously slow eater and sometimes i just can't sit and wait for him to decide to finish), he will growl and bark once, but then walk away and let them eat it. No other problems with growling or fighting ever. Go figure.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I would say thats good and respectful. I would be sure to try this with treats, chews and toys too. One thing i like to do also when i walk up when they are eating is drop a yummy thing in the dish after ive messed around and walk away. This shows that if you let me get in there willingly then i will reward that.

If i come up to Riley and pet him when he is eating he will either stop and wait to eat, or just keep eating (no crouching, stiffness or growling). I can even get Riley to drop and leave his raw food in the middle of eating if i want to.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would say thats good and respectful. I would be sure to try this with treats, chews and toys too. One thing i like to do also when i walk up when they are eating is drop a yummy thing in the dish after ive messed around and walk away. This shows that if you let me get in there willingly then i will reward that.

If i come up to Riley and pet him when he is eating he will either stop and wait to eat, or just keep eating (no crouching, stiffness or growling). I can even get Riley to drop and leave his raw food in the middle of eating if i want to.
I'll remember to do that next time. She's such a good girl, she lets me do anything with her but she is bossy with Harry. Harry's a pretty laid back guy so he lets her get away with it but with one bone. She'll cry for the bone and sometimes he'll give in and sometimes he won't.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Olie is a bit of a pushover at times NEVER with food though. Honestly I have a big fear of dogs with food, it has something to do with what I seen a family member do when I was a kid. SO with mine I have sat with all of them until nobody growled. LOL. It may be a bit much but I wouldn't have it because I fear what if........someone walked by my dog(s) reacted. This is also why - AND IT's JUST ME, I never feed in crates with having multiple dogs because they can get very aggressive. Aoki is suddenly doing this with treats. They get treats at bedtime but if the dogs go near her crate once I out her up with her treat she will growl. I don't like that, so I have been thinkig of cutting that ritual out. BUT I do take the food or put Olie up at times if not he will eat the others food! He can eat now and I worry about his weight a bit too, the Vet says he is great so, OK for now.......I am still thinking he is slighly a bit towards the chubby side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts