Poodle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Margot got bonked during her playdate today, revealed by a bloody mouth, and I'm SO glad she did because it prompted a more thorough inspection of her teeth...and unfortunately I discovered my admittedly lax toothbrushing has not been doing us any favors. I haven't done any tooth checks in a while and was horrified when I found quite a bit of tartar build-up on two of her teeth along with what looked like some pretty inflamed gums even tho she wasn't sensitive at all when I pressed around.

From some advice I found here on PF, I tried gently scraping it with my dental tool and it came off in one easy film. I can't believe she let me do that. Her gums already look better! Sorry Margot, I will now be brushing your teeth far more often than you'd like. Bad mom, lesson learned.

Does anyone have a toothpaste that their poodle loves? I have this one but she seems to hate it. It smells pretty awful, I don't blame her.

P.S. Regarding the bloody mouth, I found a small little cut, I think she either bit her lip or got her lip bit, but there are no loose teeth or anything concerning. Only thing I can think to look out for is a possible infection in the cut, so I'll be keeping a close eye on that...

Attachments

Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
Looks like you did a good job馃憤! I use Virbac with Elroy. He doesn't care for any flavor toothpaste. He's too smart...knows what comes with it. We brush about 3 times a week. He tolerates it, but doesn't like it. Our deal is, ironically, he gets a "Greenies" dental treat after each tooth brushing. He loves his Greenies!

Premium Member

Registered
I use vetsbest enzymatic. Phoebe doesn鈥檛 fight it, but we鈥檝e been doing it since she was a wee thing. I haven鈥檛 tried anything else so I can鈥檛 say if she 鈥渓ikes鈥 it or not.

Registered
Good job in the front ! There is still a bit of inflammation left but it should go away.

Have you looked at the teeth in the back ? There hard to see, you need to use both hands to open the mouth and move the skin. Since dogs don鈥檛 eat with the front teeth, most of the tartar is in the middle/back of the mouth. What you took off must have been caused by food residue.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good job in the front ! There is still a bit of inflammation left but it should go away.

Have you looked at the teeth in the back ? There hard to see, you need to use both hands to open the mouth and move the skin. Since dogs don鈥檛 eat with the front teeth, most of the tartar is in the middle/back of the mouth. What you took off must have been caused by food residue.
Fortunately I got a pretty good look when I was looking for the source of the blood and all the gums in the back looked healthy and pink with none of that gunk tucked up on the gumline like her front teeth. She gets a bit of wet food as a topper on her food which I thought might be the culprit for the excess build-up.

Registered
Happy, Apricot Standard Superstar
We brush nearly every evening and Happy still has some tarter build up, so I'm not sure it's a toothpaste thing. I ask about her teeth at every vet visit and I keep getting told she looks good and doesn't need a cleaning. I've considered getting a scaler, but I'm not sure how successful I'd be.

Premium Member
I use Virbac CET - the dogs like the taste so it makes brushing happier, and the after brushing treat is another lick of toothpaste! I brush every morning - time consuming with three dogs but easier to remember.

Reactions: SandyTopknot

Registered
Happy, Apricot Standard Superstar
A small thing of note: if you plan on scaling your dog's teeth yourself, you must do some sort of polishing afterwards. If not, the micro-scratches left after scaling allow tartar to actually build up faster. The smooth surface of a polished tooth doesn't provide an easy area for tartar to stick.
Thanks, good to know.

Registered
I use Petrodex enzymatic toothpaste in poultry flavor. My dogs love the flavor and tolerate brushing pretty well. I let them lick a pea size amount of the toothpaste at the end as a reward. I brush 3-5 times a week. I also give a dental chew every morning.
chiming in to second the petrodex poultry toothpaste. licking the toothpaste after as a reward for brushing is a must according to Kirby. he also gets a daily dental treat, which i'm not sure if it does anything but he seems to really enjoy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A small thing of note: if you plan on scaling your dog's teeth yourself, you must do some sort of polishing afterwards. If not, the micro-scratches left after scaling allow tartar to actually build up faster. The smooth surface of a polished tooth doesn't provide an easy area for tartar to stick.
Thank you so much for this important caveat! By pure happenstance, I did brush afterward to clean up any residuals but I'll make sure to polish in the future if we have to do this again. Her regular toothpaste will accomplish the polishing, right?

Registered
Thank you so much for this important caveat! By pure happenstance, I did brush afterward to clean up any residuals but I'll make sure to polish in the future if we have to do this again. Her regular toothpaste will accomplish the polishing, right?
The bristles on the brush (plus the VOHC toothpaste of your choosing) should be good enough for at-home maintenance! You want to apply gentle but firm pressure and work the toothbrush in little circles, just like you would for your own teeth. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts