Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I know answer but perhaps I miss an option to bring our Mindy with us in the cabin if we decide to fly . Only time we would consider it to go to Florida from the northeast to visit our son and family.

The way I understand she must be in a crate must fit under the seat and size around 17x12x8 inches and that would probably be too small for the average adult mini poodle.

Back to my question any other options ? I will not put Mindy in cargo !

·
Premium Member
24,942 Posts
I suspect that is a no go. If Mindy can't fit in a crate that fits under the seat in front of you that will allow her to stand and turn around I doubt the airline would allow her in the cabin. If you try to negotiate this at the gate you will either be off the plane or putting her in cargo.

Reactions: ochs3809

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Even if she fits in the carrier, it may or may not work depending on the agent you speak to. People do fly with dogs that size all the time, but some agents will give you a hard time. Some airlines are worse than others as well. It can be risky.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
I think all you can do is try her out in an approved carrier to see if she comfortably fits. They’re usually pretty tight. Gracie could lay down in hers, but she definitely couldn’t move around much. I used it for a train trip. Never on a plane. She was about 12 lbs at the time, and had shorter legs than a well-bred miniature poodle.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I wonder... Do airlines have a weight limit for dogs in carriers? That would be another factor.
Yes but it is 20 lbs. Technically I think it's dog + carrier so a dog up to 18 lbs could fly. But people fly with dogs over 20 lbs too. It really just depends on what the agent decides to enforce. Flying with pets is such a huge problem. I'd travel more if it didn't mean either trying to fly Misha in cabin or leaving him with a sitter. I don't have any good sitters here.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Yes but it is 20 lbs. Technically I think it's dog + carrier so a dog up to 18 lbs could fly. But people fly with dogs over 20 lbs too. It really just depends on what the agent decides to enforce. Flying with pets is such a huge problem. I'd travel more if it didn't mean either trying to fly Misha in cabin or leaving him with a sitter. I don't have any good sitters here.
I hear you. It’s so hard.

·
Registered
703 Posts
There are pet taxi services, but I don't know much about them and the cost may be prohibitive.

As pet crazy as the US is it's amazing that travelling domestically with pets is still so complicated. I've always felt Amtrak was leaving money on the table by not providing and promoting a pet travel alternative. Seems like it would be doable to at least have one of the sleeper cabins be pet friendly and they could limit it to certain trip lengths...:unsure:

·
Registered
283 Posts
There are pet taxi services, but I don't know much about them and the cost may be prohibitive.

As pet crazy as the US is it's amazing that travelling domestically with pets is still so complicated. I've always felt Amtrak was leaving money on the table by not providing and promoting a pet travel alternative. Seems like it would be doable to at least have one of the sleeper cabins be pet friendly and they could limit it to certain trip lengths...:unsure:
Amtrak does allow pets. Problem is, they don't allow them on the autotrain, which we thought would be a good option if we decided to rent a sleeper room and have him with us.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Amtrak does allow pets. Problem is, they don't allow them on the autotrain, which we thought would be a good option if we decided to rent a sleeper room and have him with us.
Oh I'm aware they allow pets for some trains, but I have a 48lb standard and Ranna + carrier will also likely clear 20lbs right now and certainly will at adulthood. Unless you have a toy dog most dogs clear that 20lbs including carrier easily. It's an option, but not the alternative to cargo I would be looking for.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Even if she fits in the carrier, it may or may not work depending on the agent you speak to. People do fly with dogs that size all the time, but some agents will give you a hard time. Some airlines are worse than others as well. It can be risky.
That's the impression I got when reading some airline reviews on BringFido, that the same dog can be allowed or denied depending on who the agent is on that day....

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I always like to recommend www.dogjaunt.com for this. A soft carrier is what you would use, and review different airlines' policies, because they vary. Even using dogjaunt, double check because most of her posts on weight, size, and rules are long ago enough that there have likely been many changes. Aircraft capacity under the seats of course varies from one model to another. If it's still around, seatguru can help with under seat space, too.
The weight rule used to include both pet and carry bag. Don't even think about an actual hard-sided crate. If you do this, purchase a bag that is airline accepted.
When you go through Security, you carry your pet and the bag goes through x-ray / inspection.

Amtrak allows them on long distance routes, but only about six or seven hour segments, so a lot of days to cross the country. Wish they allowed longer and had a 'garden' car of sorts for relief walks. Also wish they allowed pets on shorter routes that make multiple trips per day, like the Capitol Corridor in Cali. We only get the Zephyr once a day.

·
Registered
173 Posts
As pet crazy as the US is it's amazing that travelling domestically with pets is still so complicated.
My guess is that it is a combination of the people who hate animals and the likelihood of having another passenger with allergies.
I am really allergic to cats so my fear is that I would get stuck sitting near one on a flight. My area of the US is actually very hostile to dogs. No dogs in most parks. Dog parks aren't monitored. People screaming at you if your dog walks on their grass. People ranting because there are dogs at Home Depot and Lowes. I can easily imagine their reaction to a dog on a plane with its own seat.

·
Registered
171 Posts
a crate must fit under the seat and size around 17x12x8 inches
You might want to look into soft-sided per carriers, as they can be larger. Below are United's requirements.

The maximum dimensions for hard-sided kennels are 17.5" x 12" x 7.5" high.

The recommended maximum dimensions for soft-sided kennels are 18" x 11" x 11" high.

Soft-sided pet carriers can exceed these dimensions slightly because they are collapsible and able to fit underneath a seat without blocking the aisle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You might want to look into soft-sided per carriers, as they can be larger. Below are United's requirements.

The maximum dimensions for hard-sided kennels are 17.5" x 12" x 7.5" high.

The recommended maximum dimensions for soft-sided kennels are 18" x 11" x 11" high.

Soft-sided pet carriers can exceed these dimensions slightly because they are collapsible and able to fit underneath a seat without blocking the aisle.
Thanks looks like I can forget about airline traveling with Mindy 😥 I sure this is a standard for all airlines .

During my search for Mindy I was surprised seeing how many dog brokers ship puppies by air and buyer pickup the puppy at airport , I would think that be stressful for the any dog but if you find your perfect new best friend may be the only way .

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Thanks looks like I can forget about airline traveling with Mindy 😥 I sure this is a standard for all airlines .

During my search for Mindy I was surprised seeing how many dog brokers ship puppies by air and buyer pickup the puppy at airport , I would think that be stressful for the any dog but if you find your perfect new best friend may be the only way .
A good many reputable non-broker breeders will ship. The nannies didn't exist when I got my last dog. She handled the flight just fine 🙂. That was Delta Dash, who were and hopefully still are very good with them.

Puppies traveling in cabin to their homes are liable to be smaller and younger than your Miniature at this age. I would say for in cabin travel, a Toy breed is likely easiest to manage. It would surely be nice if they had a seat with more space available for an Mpoo! Keep checking other airlines; each has a bit different set of conditions of carriage. You might find something - some aircraft models have more space. Just be sure if you have a growing pup, they will still fit for the return trip 😊.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just saw Air Canada seems to have more room for larger dogs.

For dogs traveling in the cabin on Boeing 777-200RL and 777-300ER aircraft, the dog carrier can be as large as 8.25 x 15 x 17 inches. (17 inches seems tall enough for a mini, hopefully?)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just saw Air Canada seems to have more room for larger dogs.

For dogs traveling in the cabin on Boeing 777-200RL and 777-300ER aircraft, the dog carrier can be as large as 8.25 x 15 x 17 inches. (17 inches seems tall enough for a mini, hopefully?)

Thanks for the information.
The crate size don't seem that much different from what I understand that most airlines have,I think I have to forget about airline traveling with Mindy .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts