Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night and today I feasted on all 10 episodes of Netflix's Maniac.

Without giving away spoilers, the plot is that a small pharmaceutical company with very colorful characters, (including Sally Fields, who plays the heck out of the mother of one, which surprised me) aims at eliminating pain from trauma by using A.I. (artificial intelligence) and a new drug. This takes it's two main characters into a multi-reality place in the pain as they work through their issues. What all of them go thru is engrossing, amazing, and at times, funny.

The official trailer, which I watched afterwards, doesn't do it justice. It's so much more than that. As of yesterday it's climbing the charts with reviews as one of the years best Netflix originals. I agree.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thanks!
I am alwys looking for a new show to start. I don’t have anything current I am watching on Netflix (my only “tv.”)
Now that the weather is bad I start to hibernate a bit...

·
Super Moderator
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another HUGE favorite of mine is Sherlock Holmes which is on Netflix. It's not the movie version, it's the BBC series starring Benedict Cumberbatch.

He's an incredibly talented character actor, and is so different from one movie to another that it's hard to believe it's the same guy. Some my other favorites with him are:

VIDEO SPOILER ALERT!

~ Khan in Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013), rent for $3.99 Amazon. This is the 2nd in three; Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek: Beyond (2016) are free with Amazon Prime, but only the second one has Cumberbatch. I'd recommend seeing the first one first, simply b/c it's a good movie. I haven't seen Beyond yet.

~ Patrick Melrose, There are a lot of movies with substance abuse as theme, but this is a one of a kind. It's an incredible journey of a financially successful man from a very wealthy family who was traumatized as a child from shocking abuse. Those scenes are subtle but hit you hard. As an adult, he's fallen into severe alcoholism and drug addiction to cope with the memories, compounded by a new situation. Free with Amazon Prime or Showtime.

~ Parade's End. This has a WWI setting, and despite my not generally being attracted to historical fiction dramas, this was good. He was really different from his character in Sherlock. His wife, played by Rebecca Hall, was the epitome of someone with Borderline Personality Disorder, and she played the heck out of that role. At times I wanted to shake them both during the movie. Free with Amazon Prime.

·
Super Moderator
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey! Maniac made the front page of Google News this morning!

From Mashable, who only gives the Twitter reactions:

Netflix's 'Maniac' is Seriously Messing with People's Heads
"We can't quite explain it without giving things away, but please enjoy the reactions of everyone along for the ride."

https://mashable.com/article/netflix-maniac-reactions/#GvQpw4gzMaqm

·
Registered
586 Posts
I watched the first episode of maniac last night, damn, it messed up..lol and confuses me a littlest the beginning. A bit lukewarm on it, but episode 2 tonight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts