Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there hoping some can help with this. When shaving Tyke's tail for a number of days after he drags the base along the floor and licks and licks and licks it. When i spoke to the vet about it his solution was to not shave it but i like my poodle to look like a poodle any hints/tips on what to do please.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
At dog shows, I have seen them shaved down to very bare skin. Those tails are done regularly and the skin becomes accustomed to this. 5o many pet dogs feel weird at first. It might just be the licking, scooting and rubbing that makes it irritated. Either do it more often short and do not let him lick OR do it with a longer blade.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
How long has it been going on?

Olie was like this at first, we only shave the base about an inch or so.....it does sound like an irritation though - so maybe try and leave even more hair until he gets used to it. And my Vet asked me why I did ours and the santy area lol. So they are not a big help! :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ive had that problem before with my dogs and its usually razor burn. I bought this razor burn cream thats made for dogs that I use.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Try using EQyss Micro-Tec Spray after shaving, or even Witch Hazel, both of which are very soothing to the skin, and prevent redness, itching, and the dog licking/scratching. My male (a very light cream) has very sensitive skin, so I use one or the other after shaving FF&T.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hmmmm......my groomer uses polysporin for kids. it has an anti-itch quality.
it seems to soothe the shaved areas on my dog.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
At my groomer's suggestion I use Gold Bond Powder when Chagall has razor burn. It appears to give him immediate relief. (maybe the zinc in it?) My vet, meanwhile, told me "There's nothing you can do for razor burn." My groomer won that one! Hope you can help your boy feel more comfortable!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts