Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that if the tail of a poodle is cut via surgery, then that poodle will have issues of being potty trained. I was told by someone that a poodle whose tail was cut can never fully be potty trained. Is this true?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Never had an issue with potty training and all my poodles had docked tails. I did the docking - most vets do not really know how to do it correctly or exactly where to dock. Vets tend to dock poodle tails much too short and do not know to push the skin back toward the body so it will cover the end of the docked tail. I think all reputable poodle breeders do the docking themselves.

·
Super Moderator
2,271 Posts
Speaking as someone who does not approve of tail docking.... No, a correctly docked tail shouldn't lead to incontinence. By correctly docked, I mean the tail is left at 2/3 of its original length, and the surgery occurs at no later than 3 days old. I have my reasons for wanting my puppy to keep his natural tail, but incontinence concerns aren't one of them.

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
88 Posts
Not true. Our old standard had a 2/3 length docked tail and was super easy to train. Our new pup also has a docked tail and even though we're still in process, she is using her bell, and we are on day 18 without an accident. (Most by the way have been our fault for not reacting fast enough) I would never have imagined that as a problem.

·
Super Moderator
7,952 Posts
“Tail docking has been suspected to be a contributor to the onset of incontinence since the muscles attached to the tail base, such as the levator ani and coccygeus muscle, are often implicated in the development of the disorder in women. No studies have been able to directly relate tail docking to incontinence, however. It is noted that among the breeds with increased risk of incontinence, tail docking is common, however, many females are docked as newborns and develop the disorder only after they are neutered, sometimes as older adults.”

·
Registered
22 Posts
Many poodles with docked tails have no problems with potty training. It is usually done at only a few days old. Docking the tail on an adult dog is very different. We had a dog with a tumor on her tail near the base of the tail. Our vet was hesitant to remove it. She said there may not be enough skin left for the tail to heal properly, and then the tail would have to be surgically removed. She mentioned that could cause incontinence and other problems. Luckily our dog's tail healed well after having the tumor removed.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
Beckie has a natural tail and was one of the hardest dogs I’ve had to housebreak (and I’ve had a lot...). I’m sorry but this is just nonsense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts