Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I don't want to discuss docking or not docking but natural tail carriage. I have a 5 year old standard who has always carried his tail straight up. He has to be very very nervous for it to ever be down. I have a 6 month old standard who carries his tail down I would say 50% of the time at home. When we are out and about it is usually carried high. These are my first two poodles and I don't know enough about tail carriage since my 1st dog had what I considered a natural carriage for poodles I assumed the puppy would also carry his tail high. Does he carry his tail down at home because he doesn't want to challenge my older dog? Is it just natural for him to carry low?

Any suggestions appreciated.

rcostaffie

·
Super Moderator
5,223 Posts
Peggy is 7 months old and carries her tail high most of the time. But I've also noticed she lowers it in the presence of some other dogs, when (I assume) she's being submissive. At these times, she's very docile with us, too.

It's not that she's scared. Her tail's not between her legs, or even flat down. Just at a low angle.

The only time her tail goes completely flat is when she's being extremely playful (on the verge of spinning out of control) and will often start doing zoomies with her tail tucked tight against her butt. This is when she's most likely to nip!

Here's a photo of her normal carriage:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hello Everyone, I don't want to discuss docking or not docking but natural tail carriage. I have a 5 year old standard who has always carried his tail straight up. He has to be very very nervous for it to ever be down. I have a 6 month old standard who carries his tail down I would say 50% of the time at home. When we are out and about it is usually carried high. These are my first two poodles and I don't know enough about tail carriage since my 1st dog had what I considered a natural carriage for poodles I assumed the puppy would also carry his tail high. Does he carry his tail down at home because he doesn't want to challenge my older dog? Is it just natural for him to carry low?

Any suggestions appreciated.

rcostaffie
An interesting observation between the two dogs. Charlie is our first Standard Poodle and has a long, undocked tail. It is carried very high, curled into a complete circle over his back. As you can imagine, when he uncurls it the tail hangs way down, very straight. Usually just when he is exhausted, eating or frightened.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
An interesting observation between the two dogs. Charlie is our first Standard Poodle and has a long, undocked tail. It is carried very high, curled into a complete circle over his back. As you can imagine, when he uncurls it the tail hangs way down, very straight. Usually just when he is exhausted, eating or frightened.

Sisko is my first Standard Poodle and has an undocked tail too that is held very high and curled too

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I reviewed photos of my girls before and boys now (all minis) and tail up, level, or down just seem to depend on whatever they're doing at that moment.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Consider asking your breeder about tail set. Breeders/conformation folks often have an ideal tail set in mind. My understanding of the "perfect" (i.e. probably never attainable 100% of the time, but if you can get your dog to do it when stacking in the show ring its wonderful) is about one o'clock, or slightly less than straight up.

I love tails on dogs, and it has been interesting watching my first poodle puppy's tail. From day one it has almost always been straight up. However, if I need to groom her bottom she locks it in a downward position- haha, the little stinker. Violet is now 15 weeks old, and a couple times a day I notice it is at ten o'clock- or what I would call a gay tail position. I judge tail position when she is standing still, when she is zooming around the house I figure that tail is in use as an air rudder so it could be anyplace.

Caveat: I am no expert.

·
Super Moderator
5,223 Posts
Thanks for the photo! I rarely get to see poodles with the same "circle tail" as my Charlie

Google "gay tail" and you'll see lots!

I don't think Peggy's actually curls, so it doesn't qualify. But I've never seen it shaved.

We used to call our mini's shaved tail her asparagus tail. I loved it so much.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Raffi is my first poodle, he is a standard with an undocked tail as well. He carries his high with a sickle curve shape almost all the time. The first time he held his tail down I wondered if it was injured because it was straight out from his body and then bent down in the middle, it looked odd!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts