Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Taffy did it again. We got through another false pregnancy last Friday.

This last heat, my husband and I worked diligently to be sure that Taffy and Billy had no access to one another until her whole heat cycle was over. We KNOW that they did not breed.

I was at class with her three weeks after the end of her heat when I noticed that, while sitting, she looked pregnant. Dianne noticed it too. We were aghast and bewildered as she definitely was not bred.

Since she showed all of the signs of pregnancy, I bought everything I needed for whelping pups including a record book to keep track of her temps, etc. and the puppies. On the last possible day that she could deliver puppies, her temp dropped to 98.6 during the morning. That evening she went through all of the pre-delivery motions. She shivered uncontrollably, she only laid on her side and went from one to the other frequently, she continually stretched herself out and rolled over and she wouldn't leave her whelping box.

I stayed up with Taffy until 3:00 a.m. waiting for the first noticeable contractions. Instead, she relaxed and went to sleep. I went to bed worrying that something might happen while I caught a few z's.

I got up later in the morning to find Taffy waiting to go outside and later during the day she was playing really hard with the dogs; which she had not done for a few days. She appeared to be done and, indeed, she is. There were no puppies...another false pregnancy!!!

I don't know what to think as far as false pregnancies go. Has anyone had the experience of their bitch going through false pregnancies after their heats? Why would this happen?

It was very upsetting to go through all that and to keep questioning whether my husband had had an accident that he didn't tell me about. He is not one to hide a mistake and insisted he did everything the way he was supposed to. One was always in the crate and the other in the basement. We let Billy out alone for potty and exercise. We went out with Taffy on lead to potty and walk her. They never had access to each other for the full three weeks of her heat.

If anyone has any insight to help us out, we sure would appreciate it. I'm hoping that this is not going to be the norm with her after every heat she has!

We are very relieved to find that we did not mess up this time.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
False pregnancies are common in dogs. Unfortunately the fact that she has had two false pregnancies means that she is at risk of having more. I wonder if being in a home with an intact male makes a difference. She has every biological expectation of being bred and so her body responds in kind.

Are you planning on breeding this bitch? If not, you should really get her spayed.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes we are. She will not be two until February 2011 and her first heat after that will be in May of 2011. We plan to breed her next May. I guess we will try sending Billy to another house while she is in heat the next time to test that theory.

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
My understanding of false pregnancy is that a bitch who has one, will probably continue to have them. It is a useful survival mechanism in a pack - lots of lactating bitches ready to take over one litter of pups - but can be nerve wracking for the humans concerned. Perhaps if you have her scanned or x-rayed after future seasons you will be more certain whether or not it is a false alarm? Do watch out for any hint of a pyometra - often associated with false pregnancy.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
What a tough thing for you to go through. I am glad Taffy's ok and there are no puppies at this time. Hopefully, if Billy goes for a visit she won't have another one. Good luck!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Wow, this sounds very nerve wracking. Poor Taffy and poor you! I have no advice, just feeling bad for you. I'm amazed at how powerful hormones really are.

·
Registered
184 Posts
On the lighter side --- Taffy pulls!!! LOL

This must be very hard on her system I would think, hope it doesn't become a regular thing for her.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I would be a mental wreck....I would constantly be doubting myself and my husband....I'd be blaming him and he'd be blaming me and we'd be in divorce court over the stress. I am really glad she's ok and I bet she will be the best darn poodle mommy on the planet.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would be a mental wreck....I would constantly be doubting myself and my husband....I'd be blaming him and he'd be blaming me and we'd be in divorce court over the stress. I am really glad she's ok and I bet she will be the best darn poodle mommy on the planet.
LOL P2P!! I was thinking that but didn't want to say anything in case I was wrong. I sure didn't want to upset my husband by making accusations when I had no proof that he had an accident. I am really glad I didn't say anything now.

I was stressed and very upset that she could be pregnant before her second birthday and testing was complete. But, I did balance that as best I could with knowing she did this before and that I knew I didn't mess up. There finally came a point where there was nothing to do but print out whelping information from the web and buy and prepare everything for whelping. I'm thrilled I didn't need it, and now I have it for when her real time comes.

I am sure she is going to be a great mommy. She let our one-year-old cat (the one that adopted her as his mom) in the whelping box with her and was going to let him suckle...:scared: I shushed him out immediately but he came back to get a good bath by his surrogate mom.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's some photos of Taffy's big delivery night!!

I took photos of Taffy the night she "delivered" her pretend pups.

I was expecting about 4 pups

The start of her stretching

While taking photos of her body I noticed that her vulva had dropped down and softened.

All ready just in case.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Taffy is checking out her back end and wondering what is going on....So is mom.

By 3:00 a.m. she delivered her ghost puppies and then went to sleep. Ah well....all is well.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
OMG she does look prego ! I never had this problem with my GSD. She was unspayed for 10 years. One of my cats did have a few but I knew that she was not pregnant since my studs are caged.

·
Registered
875 Posts
here is a funny question, some times when dogs go through a false pregnancy, they lactate; is the milk still nutritious? meaning, can a bitch with a false pregnancy be a "wet nurse"?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I told Dianne that if she is going to do this every time she has a heat, I am probably going to have a nervous breakdown. The reason Billy had to stay here this time was because Chantel went into heat two days after Taffy.

We've decided, since they will come into heat together now, to send Billy to Dianne's and I will take Chantel here. That way we will both have peace-of-mind. The boys at her house and the girls with me.

Then, if she goes through this again, I will have to accept that this is the way she will be. If she doesn't, then I will know that it was because she had an intact male here with her.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
here is a funny question, some times when dogs go through a false pregnancy, they lactate; is the milk still nutritious? meaning, can a bitch with a false pregnancy be a "wet nurse"?
I have read that they can. Taffy produced milk during her first false pregnancy. I would think that if she started nursing another dogs pups, she would have continued to produce the milk. This time she had a bit of colostrum just a few days before her false delivery but did not produce milk.

·
Registered
631 Posts
We had a guinea pig when I was younger do the same thing. My dad was the one who stayed at home with us so he read up and prepared to be a guinea pig midwife! Thankfully it never happened.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts