Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been watching Taffy for weeks to see what was going to happen with her color. The breeder told us she could go apricot or turn red because it has happened with other puppies from their breedings. Well, a few weeks ago she started to have this weird look to her coat that I couldn't quite figure out. But, in the last two weeks while bathing and grooming her the reason for the oddness was obvious. She is definitely going red underneath and it looks really strange right now.

I decided to clip her coat some to start getting rid of the really light top and encourage the red to grow out. The red part is curling too unlike her puppy hair. We're thinking that she will be really striking when her coat completely turns over.

This was taken only a couple of weeks ago and there isn't any real sign of the red yet in her hind quarters.

These were taken this evening.
Taffy starting to learn to run on the lead.

Her red hair coming in under the puppy fluff

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
We have been watching Taffy for weeks to see what was going to happen with her color. The breeder told us she could go apricot or turn red because it has happened with other puppies from their breedings. Well, a few weeks ago she started to have this weird look to her coat that I couldn't quite figure out. But, in the last two weeks while bathing and grooming her the reason for the oddness was obvious. She is definitely going red underneath and it looks really strange right now.

I decided to clip her coat some to start getting rid of the really light top and encourage the red to grow out. The red part is curling too unlike her puppy hair. We're thinking that she will be really striking when her coat completely turns over.

This was taken only a couple of weeks ago and there isn't any real sign of the red yet in her hind quarters.

These were taken this evening.
Taffy starting to learn to run on the lead.

Her red hair coming in under the puppy fluff

That's cool ! , I don't think she will turn a true red but it looks like she will be a nice deep apricot ! keep us posted you know how I am always interested in this kind of stuff lol

Also try not pulling her head ahead to much when trotting her she is overreaching in the gait picture. Same thing with Billy but his gait is prefect , his head carriage look unnatural because of the pulling.

I think Taffy will do great in the ring !

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I know, you're right. I am new at this myself and have to learn to gait with my dogs!!!!
Yeah its hard , my sister can't gait her self lol , I always help her when we practice. It looks like Taffy carries her head well naturally. Next also have some one video tape you this helps SO much , then you can see what you are doing right a wrong.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dianne and I are so anxious to see the fluff disappear so we can see what we have for her real color. The father is red, the mother is apricot. The breeder said that that particular breeding has produced apricot babies who have gone both ways; either apricot or they darkened up to a red.

I don't believe she will be the red of Enzo but the hair underneath is definitely red. Its hard to describe. It is a kind of gold/red. I think she is going to be beautiful when her adult coat comes in.

She looks so funny right now because that fluff is so light and you can see all that dark hair underneath. It looks abnormal. I cut her to day into the puppy cut just to encourage the red to grow out quicker. She still has three months to go before she can even get into the ring and I'm sure she will still be two colors at that time! LOL

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I can't wait to see what she ends up looking like. LoL, this is FUN! Color changing poodles everywhere you look :p

·
Registered
3,145 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
The father is red, the mother is apricot.
I don't believe she will be the red of Enzo but the hair underneath is definitely red. Its hard to describe. It is a kind of gold/red. I think she is going to be beautiful when her adult coat comes in.
Same with Enzo his dad is red and mom Apricot. IMO I think a lot of breeder use the term red loosely. I think this is why when people see Enzo they can't believe how dark he is at the dog shows. The reds they seen are called "reds" but are realistically Apricots. I know you don't care what color she turns out to be because she is a beautiful dog. But any hints of gold color would classify her as a apricot.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She definitely has some gold going on there from what I can see. I expect she will be a really dark apricot which I think is a beautiful color. It's amazing to see a light colored puppy go so dark! I'm used to seeing black puppies turn silver, blue and whatever but not a light puppy going dark. I'm not too worried about Taffy in the ring. I think she has what it takes to get her AKC championship.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
She definitely has some gold going on there from what I can see. I expect she will be a really dark apricot which I think is a beautiful color. It's amazing to see a light colored puppy go so dark! I'm used to seeing black puppies turn silver, blue and whatever but not a light puppy going dark. I'm not too worried about Taffy in the ring. I think she has what it takes to get her AKC championship.
I believe she will get a CH also. Her face is very nice ! , I love her profile , Since she is turning dark she could be DD which is good if you go on to breed her to a red or black dog.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Yeah its hard , my sister can't gait her self lol , I always help her when we practice. It looks like Taffy carries her head well naturally. Next also have some one video tape you this helps SO much , then you can see what you are doing right a wrong.
Rox25, thats is a beautiful puppy! I love her baby pics and then as a adult.

I think Taffy may turn to a dark apricot as well. We will have to sit and see and she grows.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts