Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all talked about tacking the girls' stomach's when they are spayed for prevention of torsion in the event of bloat, but has anyone had their boy's stomach tacked when they were neutered. I know the girls are sometimes done because there is already an incision for the spay. Since the boys are also "under" for the neuter, would it make any sense to tack their stomach then also, even though it would mean two incisions for them, instead of one like the girls?

Just thinking because I'll be making the appointment for Cash soon.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I personally do not find it necessary to tack the stomach at all unless bloat is common in the lines (though that would be a sign of a BAD breeder) or if the dog has already suffered from bloat.
Yes, there is always the possibility of bloat, but it's not LIKELY to happen, especially if precautions are taken.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yes, there is always the possibility of bloat, but it's not LIKELY to happen, especially if precautions are taken.
What kind of precautions should be taken? Jackson is a rescue and I don't know if it's in his genes. I have been debating this in my mind for a little while now. Should I have him tacked? I admit to being terrified of bloat. I would do it in an instant if I could be sure it was worth the surgery risk.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I would never have an unnecessary procedure done on my dogs.
And I think that tacking the stomach is unnecessary

But if the dog would get bloat then I would tack it but tacking the stomach for a what if.. is too much for my taste..

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
What kind of precautions should be taken? Jackson is a rescue and I don't know if it's in his genes. I have been debating this in my mind for a little while now. Should I have him tacked? I admit to being terrified of bloat. I would do it in an instant if I could be sure it was worth the surgery risk.
- Avoid feeding directly before and after exercise
- avoid excessive intake of water after exercise
- feed 2-3 smaller meals as opposed to one big one

There are more, but these are ones just off the top of my head.

There is debate whether raised food and water dishes are better or worse for bloat. The most recent study I believe showed raised dishes were worse, but there's lots of conflicting information. If you google bloat prevention you can find more information, and it's been discussed on these forums too.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Interesting. My breeder offered to pay for 1/2 of the surgery when the time comes. She feels quite strongly about it. I'll have to continue reading up on this.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Interesting. My breeder offered to pay for 1/2 of the surgery when the time comes. She feels quite strongly about it. I'll have to continue reading up on this.
WOW - that's excellent!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts