Poodle Forum banner

Should dogs be fed table scraps?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just wanted some advise on giving table scraps to dogs. I hear diff, stories from people and wanted to get a everyone on here's opinion. So the question is....do or do not? O' and why or why not.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Oh there are numerous reasons P4P. Table scraps promote begging at the human dinner table. Encourages them to "snack" on anything that might accidently be left at their level. Let's not even talk about what non-healthy to poodle things might be in their. JMHO

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I give my dogs scraps, why waste it?

Table begging is a taught behavior and I tell everyone to wait until after dinner, make a scrap plate and I dish it out like I do normal treats. If its gravy or the likes I mix it up with their food.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Ours all get table scraps. They do not beg at the table, but all know when we have finished dinner, and will come up to see if there is anything for them. The only scraps that they do get are left over meat scraps that we cut into small pieces and hand feed each one of them, like you would if you were giving them a treat, such as a doggie cookie or etc., and thats only after we have finished dinner. Would never give them to many scraps though, did this many years ago with the first dog we ever owned and then ended up taking this german shephard pup to the vet because we couldn't get her to eat kibble. Didn't take the vet long after talking to us to discover that she was just spoiled and only wanted human food. The vet told us that if we wanted to give her table scraps to mix it in with her kibble, not to give it alone. Here we are 43 years later, still feeding table scraps, but just a few bites after we eat. We pretty much free feed our kibble, so cannot add table scraps to it. BTW we do have one toy poodle that loves Taco Bell. When she sees a Taco Bell bag she goes bonkers. I know its not right, but she always gets a bite or two from any Taco Bell food that we might have, she even likes the hot sauce. She was a little over a year old when we got her and came from a Mexican family. I have a feeling she ate a lot of Mexican food prior to us getting her, took quite a while to get her to eat almost anything. Now she eats just fine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Table food gives my guy and upset tummy unless it's unflavored meat. If I ever boil a chicken for soups he knows he gets a treat when I'm picking at it. We have him stay on the 'carpet' off the kitchen tile when we eat so he doesn't beg.

Edited to say-
I didn't vote cause I'll give him some people treats but rarely.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
The only table scraps that we give our dogs are left over meat and rice. They already have a diet that includes raw or boiled meat. We eat a lot of game meat as well as the chicken. We know that the game meat is lean and hasn't got any artificial anything in it since they eat in their natural environment.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Spoospirit I'm not so sure I would necessarily call that "table scraps". The more I think about it what is the definition of "table scraps"? If we cook all our kids meals wouldn't that then be considered "table scraps"? Hmmm going to have to think about this some more...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just asking to to get a good idea of how others to it, I was told to give mine anything and everything they would eat to make them gain weight. I think it is ok to give them leftover scrambled eggs from the kids, I do not add any salt or anything to them, I think plain rice is ok as well. There are certain things I think are ok, as long as they do not have an overload of grease,salt or other stuff dogs should not have. I will even scramble eggs for mine, but not everyday. The show begging thing, I sort of agree it is a taught behavior but it is also learned.

Tynk, she was taught from a young age NOT to step foot on the tile floor in the kitchen and stay on, the carpet while we were eating, she did VERY well at that until I started giving her the leftover eggs and such. I put them in her dish so she did not know they had come from the table, and yet, she has started trying to come into the kitchen when she smells it. So learned and taught, because I also have a friend who will come over and if she has anything to eat fast food or not, she will feed my dogs out of habit, since that is what she does with hers, I tell her not to but sometimes she just does not think about it.

Thank you for all your input and I look forward to hearing more from all of you!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I don't give Enzo Table scraps at all , I don't care if I am wasting food because IMO most people food we eat is processed and bad for us so why give that to a dog ?I could understand some eggs and some scraps of meat , I do give Enzo treats but its rare to get people food treats. I give him fruits more than anything.

One of my pet peeves is dogs begging for food, Enzo is still young and is not old enough to understand that just because I gave you something one time does not me every time you get something or that the trash is where you get scraps. He tries to beg for food and we never give him scraps so I make him get away from us and lay down in his crate.

My Grandpa feed his Rottie scraps and she ended up paying for it when she got older.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I guess my dinners are healthy then most? When I do have scraps left over its from dinner and what they end up getting is green beans/corn/carrots, potatoes, gravy and bits of bread. If I eat it why could they not? I know there are a lot of things dogs should not eat but when its my own homemade healthy dinner scraps I see nothing wrong with that. *shrug*

lol talking of eggs, my moms Miniature Poodle Jack can not eat eggs, he will vomit every time with in 5 minutes of ingesting them so no eggs for Jackie!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I guess my dinners are healthy then most? When I do have scraps left over its from dinner and what they end up getting is green beans/corn/carrots, potatoes, gravy and bits of bread. If I eat it why could they not? I know there are a lot of things dogs should not eat but when its my own homemade healthy dinner scraps I see nothing wrong with that. *shrug*

lol talking of eggs, my moms Miniature Poodle Jack can not eat eggs, he will vomit every time with in 5 minutes of ingesting them so no eggs for Jackie!
yeah a lot of people feed their dogs fast food dog scraps ( not saying everyone on here does) but IMO that is a big no no for me. A lot of people i know also give there dogs all kinds of meat bones , this is also a no no imo.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Moose gets scraps when I can sneak them from him muahah.

I only give him meat (with nothing on it), egg, a vegetable (with nothing on it), and very rarely a qrtr size piece of bread.

I don't give him much at all, and it's rare.

I thnk as long as you don't give`m candy, or anything with heavy sauce or lots of white flower they will be fine.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
yeah a lot of people feed their dogs fast food dog scraps ( not saying everyone on here does) but IMO that is a big no no for me. A lot of people i know also give there dogs all kinds of meat bones , this is also a no no imo.
Moose loves Nylabone that's all he gets.

When PetsMart moved they ran 50% off... I got the rest! He should be set for years haha.

He has like 5 he uses now of variety of flavors and sizes, and if I put them in a pile in the corner at the end of the day they are all on his lil mat where he chews them. He even sleeps on them and sometimes passes out with one in his mouth, haha.

He's not a crazy chewer that's for sure, and doesn't chew on them much, but he likes to move them chew for <5min then go to sleep hehe.

Meat bones, raw bones, etc, are messy, and not too good from what I read.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wish I was lucky enough to have game meat avail.....not here, I think if my husband tried to hunt, ya, lets just say......well it wouldn't happen lol. Meat I think is fine to give dogs, as long as it does not have anything added. Boiled chicken is good but the bones would not go in if it were coming from me because they make me nervous.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
WE give them some chicken some times - just like a treat size - don't give them from the table and some of them still bed! Teddy - maybe he got scrpas where he came from -anyway they sometimes get a little piece of pizza crust.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I give my dogs scraps, why waste it?

Table begging is a taught behavior and I tell everyone to wait until after dinner, make a scrap plate and I dish it out like I do normal treats. If its gravy or the likes I mix it up with their food.
I agree... I do the same thing. But she gets it only at her feeding times which is different from ours - thus she usually lies in her bed, asleep, when we eat. I usually put the scraps in a ziplock container in the fridge with her name on it and mix it in with her dry food when feeding time rolls by.

Why throw it away? Since she is small I give her a little less dogfood (so she doesn't gain weight) I save at least a couple of dollars on dog food each month.
(I have to add... we generally eat healthy - so no pizza or chinese food for Ponki ;) just veggies and meat)

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I, personally, don't see anything wrong with giving my dogs left over scraps... but "proper" scraps for dogs, meat scraps, gravy, steamed vegies... ummm, NO cooked pork scraps though, I have found years ago that this gives loose stools. :mmph: Of course, they are fed the scraps in their food at their feeding time and are not allowed to even sit and watch us eat. They know this and just all go lie down and don't even pay attention to us eating. So, I see no reason, if the scraps are ok for the dogs, that they can't have them.

Of course, as spoospirit said, our dogs are fed boiled meats, yogurt, eggs and brewers yeast with garlic. In the morning it is brewers yeast tablets & boiled meat with the liquid mixed in their kibble and at night it is yogurt mixed in with an egg three times a week.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Spoospirit I'm not so sure I would necessarily call that "table scraps". The more I think about it what is the definition of "table scraps"? If we cook all our kids meals wouldn't that then be considered "table scraps"? Hmmm going to have to think about this some more...
LOL.....let me know if you figure it out! LOL

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I, personally, don't see anything wrong with giving my dogs left over scraps... but "proper" scraps for dogs, meat scraps, gravy, steamed vegies... ummm, NO cooked pork scraps though, I have found years ago that this gives loose stools. :mmph:

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...........

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
NO cooked pork scraps though, I have found years ago that this gives loose stools. :mmph:
Doesn't pork have the risk of causing pancreatitis as well? So I agree there NO PORK, but the eggs I give, boiled meats yes, yogert yes, expecially if they have an upset tummy, canned pumpkin for diarea, garlic is good for keeping flees away, I can see alot of foods here that are IMO ok if not just plain good to give a dog. Thank you for your input and if anyone has anymore please go ahead! I like to take chicken livers, blend them with honey and graham crackers and bake in the micro for 15 min and give that as a treat, they LOVE it!!! We call it "puppy crack" LOL! It works great if you have a dog that is very food driven in the ring, you can hold it in your mouth if like me you forget an outfit with pockets LOL and it smells like graham crackers lol, my 6 yr old thought it was brownies one day and snacked one up and took a bite! I laughed so hard as she said mmmmmm this is good, then chewed a little and she got this look on her face like she had just eaten a BUG! and said, actually mommy I don't like it once I start chewing it LOL!!!!!! :rofl:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts