Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Swollen lymph nodes - need advice please!

I just noticed tonight that Beckie has 2 easily palpable lymph nodes right under her jawline, on both sides of the neck.

I never noticed those and since I groom her myself and pet her face and neck quite a lot, I figure they’re new ? I touched Merlin’s neck to compare, even though he’s a little smaller than she is, and there is definitely swelling. Both sides are the same shape resembling a slim football, and very soft to the touch. No lumps.

Could it be linked to having her nails trimmed yesterday ? She kept licking her dewclaw on the right front paw so I think the lady cut it too short. I didn’t see any blood, so there must have been very little or she licked it all. Maybe she got an infection from the nail scissors ?

Should I give her some kind of medication to help ? If so what and what dose for an 8lb dog ?

We’re going to my mom’s for the holidays and it will be harder to have access to a vet. What’s the best way to deal with this ? Wait and see ? If it’s just an infection, how many days until her body fights it ? Today and yesterday I noticed she was a little more quiet, just a little, so I attributed it to her paw hurting.

Help, I’ve never had a dog with swollen lymph nodes before !

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Dechi, I've never had this problem in any of my dogs either. If it were me, I'd be right in to the vet to get it checked out before the holidays. I would definitely not self-diagnose and medicate. Hope Beckie is fine!

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dechi, I've never had this problem in any of my dogs either. If it were me, I'd be right in to the vet to get it checked out before the holidays. I would definitely not self-diagnose and medicate. Hope Beckie is fine!
I’ve put a reminder in my calendar already, I am calling them tomorrow morning and see what they say. We’ll be going in if necessary.

It’s always nice to have people’s experience before hand though. My vet is good but they have a tendancy to want to do any test available, which of course would cost a fortune. It’s good to be able to discernate between what’s a must and what’s a maybe.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I’ve put a reminder in my calendar already, I am calling them tomorrow morning and see what they say. We’ll be going in if necessary.

It’s always nice to have people’s experience before hand though. My vet is good but they have a tendancy to want to do any test available, which of course would cost a fortune. It’s good to be able to discernate between what’s a must and what’s a maybe.
Oh, I understand. My current vets always give me options and I always ask, "What would you do if it were your dog?" if I'm on the fence about a decision. I trust them.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
I would check with the vet - far better safe than sorry, especially as you will soon be going away.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I think I would get a vet to take a look see and determine if bloodwork should be done. I've clipped my dogs nails, even hit the quick in the past and they never developed a infection from it. May have been slightly sore for a day or two but nothing dramatic . I hate doing nails one move and ouch. I'm not sure its related thats why I'd check.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
I would vet check this since you won't have access to your regular vet during you Christmas visit to your mom's. Also are you sure it is swollen lymph nodes and not salivary glands? I hope it is easy to get fixed.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replies !

This morning her lymph nodes are back to normal (Catherine, I’m pretty sure they are lymph nodes, from the descriptions I’ve read).

I called the vet just in case and they don’t think it has anything to so with the nail trimming. They said her body was fighting an infection and it has now cleared. They said it might be from the stress of the nail trimming although they have never seen it causing such an extreme reaxtion.

If there is swelling again, I need to get her to the vet, but otherwise, everything being back to normal, I don’t. It wouldn’t be an emergency, a 24 hour delay would be fine.

I’m relieved for now and I hope it stays that way. In any case, if it happens at my mom’s again, there are vets close by.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
That is great! Our immune systems are very good at doing their jobs, but that doesn't keep us from worrying, does it? Your taking notice will always be in your dogs' interests of good health. My friends who are vets are always complaining about clients who bring their animals in way too late to have an easy treatment for a good outcome when early treatment would have either been less expensive and/or a better outcome.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is great! Our immune systems are very good at doing their jobs, but that doesn't keep us from worrying, does it? Your taking notice will always be in your dogs' interests of good health. My friends who are vets are always complaining about clients who bring their animals in way too late to have an easy treatment for a good outcome when early treatment would have either been less expensive and/or a better outcome.
I probably err on the side of caution too much. But I love my dogs and can’t stand the thought of them hurting just a little. Just like most people on PF.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Change of plans. The nodes are back. Maybe they shrink during the night ? I made an appointment for her tomorrow morning at 1100.

It will give me 24 hours more to monitor her and I can always cancel if need be. She has the same (big) appetite as usual but like yesterday is a little less active. Stools and urines are normal in frequency.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Never having any kids, if one of my girls throw up more than 2 times, I am off to the vets, usually it is close 300.00. them baby food to get them to eat, usually feed with a spoon for a day or so. I think I take them to much, but never experience any illness other than myself (which I always wait to long to go) I worry until I know they will be ok

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Oh I was just about to say I was glad for the good news. Hopefully it isn't anything to be alarmed with but good the vet is checking. Hoping it all goes well.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Never having any kids, if one of my girls throw up more than 2 times, I am off to the vets, usually it is close 300.00. them baby food to get them to eat, usually feed with a spoon for a day or so. I think I take them to much, but never experience any illness other than myself (which I always wait to long to go) I worry until I know they will be ok
The thing is she isn’t throwing up, her stools are firm and she is in good spirits. She’s eating like a little piglet as usual. Her glands are swollen again this morning. I’m beginning to think maybe it’s normal.

I’m going anyways, just to be on the safe side and stop worrying.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update :

We went to the vet at 11 this morning. Her lymph nodes are swollen as I thought. Other nodes on the body (near shoulder blades and on thighs) were not. Her temperature is also slightly elevated at 39.6 C.

Besides that her weigth is perfect (7,8 lbs), her ears are really clean, she sees all the way down to the eardrum. I’m doing a good job, yeahhh !

Her patellas are good too. They were subluxating when I got her at 4 1/2 months old so I always have them checked. They are still the same, well attached, no luxation and she has very good thigh muscles. (I am writing all this so I remember).

Anyways, back to the infection. Usually the vet would want to wait to see if it’s a bacteria or virus, and only give antibiotics if it’s a virus (so we would wait a few days to see if it clears on it’s own). But since it’s Christmas time and vet offices will be closed a few days, she didn’t want to take the risk, and neither did I.

The vet suggested an injection instead of liquid, because Beckie has a sensitive stomach and it’s easier on the stomach. It works for a full 2 weeks. Beckie was licking the tech while she was giving her the injection. They can’t believe how calm and sweet she is every time we go.

I’m happy we went, now I have peace of mind. :)

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Update :

We went to the vet at 11 this morning. Her lymph nodes are swollen as I thought. Other nodes on the body (near shoulder blades and on thighs) were not. Her temperature is also slightly elevated at 39.6 C.

Besides that her weigth is perfect (7,8 lbs), her ears are really clean, she sees all the way down to the eardrum. I’m doing a good job, yeahhh !

Her patellas are good too. They were subluxating when I got her at 4 1/2 months old so I always have them checked. They are still the same, well attached, no luxation and she has very good thigh muscles. (I am writing all this so I remember).

Anyways, back to the infection. Usually the vet would want to wait to see if it’s a bacteria or virus, and only give antibiotics if it’s a virus (so we would wait a few days to see if it clears on it’s own). But since it’s Christmas time and vet offices will be closed a few days, she didn’t want to take the risk, and neither did I.

The vet suggested an injection instead of liquid, because Beckie has a sensitive stomach and it’s easier on the stomach. It works for a full 2 weeks. Beckie was licking the tech while she was giving her the injection. They can’t believe how calm and sweet she is every time we go.

I’m happy we went, now I have peace of mind. :)

That is a generally very nice update. However antibiotics are only given for bacterial not viral infections as a clarification.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I hope Becky is feeling healthy during the holiday and the lymph glands shrink to normal.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Definitely worth the visit for the peace of mind - I hope she continues to be well.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts