Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone - It has been 13 years since I had a puppy. Just wondering if you switched at 6 months to adult food from puppy? We see the vet on Tuesday and will get his opinion as well. The breeder says she may start switching at about 5 months. He is on 3 meals now and will go down to 2. He is 16 weeks this week. thanks for any advise.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Hi Everyone - It has been 13 years since I had a puppy. Just wondering if you switched at 6 months to adult food from puppy? We see the vet on Tuesday and will get his opinion as well. The breeder says she may start switching at about 5 months. He is on 3 meals now and will go down to 2. He is 16 weeks this week. thanks for any advise.
I would wait until atleast 6 months if not later. I know some breeders that don't believe in feeding puppy food at all. Thats is controversial though. I like to keep mine on puppy for awhile ...sometimes even the whole first year. I guess it just depends on the puppy and how they maintain there weight.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
It depends on the dog really but with Poodles I would say to switch them at about 6 to 8 months.

Some breeds like Boxers need to stay on puppy food into adulthood (around 3 years) because they have such a high metabolisms but with Poodles they can go to adult food with less protein at a younger age. Most giant breeds need adult food from the very start to keep the bones from growing to fast.

Anyway...sorry I tend to get carried away when talking about dog food :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, we had a Newfoundland that was only on puppy food for a couple of months. Steeler - this puppy is a good eater and seems to be burning a lot off- being so energetic. I'll see what the vet has to say. When you switched to adult is that when you went down to 2 meals a day? He gained 3# the last few weeks - growing like a weed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts