Poodle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In July we’re going on a week long vacation on Lake Michigan. I wasn’t really anticipating that Curry would like to swim because she’s so fearful of new surfaces, but she hopped right in at the dog park this week. Instincts take over!

So I’m looking for advice how to handle more constant water. She’s currently maintained at a #3 all over, but topknot and long tail. I’m thinking I’ll just take her down pretty short all over (I might even take her in and have a pro do it) but how often should I/can I bathe her. Lake water can be gross/stinky/irritating. She also tends to have more sensitive skin. Pictures for reference and because she’s cute.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Really have no experience with Asta swimming - he is not a swimmer even tho we live on a lake- but in your case, I think I would bathe after. Just really wanted to tell you that I love her beautiful tail.

·
Registered
587 Posts
We took milo on our summer vacation last year, lots of lake and beach swimming. I bathe him every time. I kept him in a short trim, i think maybe equivalent to a 4 or 5 blade. I have a bravura, so I had a 40 blade with 6mm comb attached to it.

One thing you have to be diligent is checking her ears for water and wiping it dry. My vet says there are products that I can squirt in his ears to prevent an ear infection from swimming, but I rather just wipe and check after every swim and it’s been fine.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I would say it depends on how clean the lake is. I live in Northern California and during spring the lake is wonderfully clean but as the water warms up algae grows and can be a real problem. My girls both love to splash about in the lake but I don’t let them go in at all in summer. To much potential for issues. As to bathing, I will always bathe them if they’ve gotten into something. Last week they were off leash in a park I frequent and they decided to chase a duck into a swamp. There was about 2’ of standing water and you name it critters, mosquitoes, ticks and whatever else. They were so intent on the duck they would not come to me. I was so angry with them. I had to go in after them. After which i took them over to a beach area to get some of the crud off, then home to squirt them down with a garden hose, then a full bath in the tub and then dry and remove several ticks and then a topical flea and tick med. needless to say they were in the proverbial dog house for awhile. Little buttheads , they scared the heck outta me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.