Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is the big day for fireworks in the UK - Bonfire night, remembering Guy Fawkes' plan to blow up the Houses of Parliament (and of course Samhain). Time was there would be dozens of small scale affairs, with bangers going off for weeks, and there still are in some areas. Here, fortunately, more and more people go to the organised display in the village instead, which this evening started at 7pm. Poppy slept through the whole thing; Sophy started trembling at the first distant boom so as planned I took her comfiest bed into the cloakroom, turned on the fan, and settled down in there to keep her company. She spent some time in the bed, then on my lap, then, after 30 minutes or so, decided the danger was over and trotted back to the sitting room.

So it seems we have at least a partial solution - I don't know how effective it will be for louder and more persistent bangs, but am feeling relieved there is something I can do to help her.

Reactions: Skylar

·
Registered
361 Posts
Glad you found something that works for you, it's a shame when they get so scared. I live in one of those areas that at the moment sound like a war zone. I'm struggling to get diva to go toilet, it's her first bonfire night so she's confused about the bangs and lights in the sky. They are going off everywhere where I live. She isn't scared but cautiously watching them...she isn't relaxed enough to go for a wee. We're surviving though

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel for you - it is like that where my sister lives. Bonfire night, Diwali, weddings, birthdays and other celebrations seem to mean up to a month of booms and bangs.

Sophy was fine till she was 5 or 6, then suddenly decided distant bangs were unpleasant - I worked hard at desensitising, and she is less worried than she used to be, but I am not going to attempt to take her out. There is an emergency mat in the bathroom for just these sort of occasions!

·
Registered
361 Posts
It's a nightmare. I imagine they will be banned by next year. I have been playing YouTube videos of fireworks to help desensitise diva it seemed to help. Aww that's a shame that's a good idea!

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
It's great that the cloakroom and you with her worked for her. Maybe next time she won't need that at all. I know Zekefur wasn't upset with fireworks, but at almost 3 years old was obviously very nervous with them going off. We got through it with a tight bearhug for about 20 minutes (I tried applying pressure to the chest much like a thunder shirt would do), and since then he is fine. Only took one go at it.

And may I also ask, what is bonfire night? Does it celebrate something specific?

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bonfire Night celebrates the memory of Guy Fawkes attempt to blow up the houses of parliament - either the idea or its failure, take your pick! It is also of course around Samhain, a traditional time for fires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts