Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been slowly (maybe not so slowly) shopping for puppy supplies since I got on the waiting list in December. I thought I'd put it all together and take a photo as it's not as exciting to see it all packed up.

Maybe others who are looking to start shopping for their future pups can get some ideas. I tried to buy things that had great reviews and many were recommended here on PF (thank you!). I still have some stuff to be delivered and a few more things on my list, but it feels great to be getting everything ready. Makes it feel more real and helps the time pass!

Pic of Supplies.jpg

Pic of Supplies 2.jpg
I forgot to add these to the big pile. I'll be using the shakers as dilution bottles!

If anyone wants details on any items just ask!

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
It is fun shopping for a new addition isn't it?

You look pretty well prepared, especially in the grooming department. Don't buy too many toys since puppies often develop preferences about such things early on. Also I hope you have a hard crate and/or ex pen in your baby dog plans. Even now Javelin would be out of your pop up crate in less than five seconds, ripping a seam or breaking a zipper in the process.

Reactions: SpooChi

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
i don't see nature's miracle in the pile. it will be a lot easier to get over any puppy failures with a large bottle of it on hand for clean up!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So much fun Lily!

Yes, I've only got a couple rope toys, stuffy's and Kong's. I'll go all out once we know what she loves.

And yes I will be getting a wire crate! This one is just temporary, maybe for the car trip home but we'll see.

Patk, oh we've already got Nature's Miracle!! Very helpful for accidents and I even use it in the laundry when I wash Lyla's beds/blankets. I recommend it to everyone too!

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
forgot you have another dog! :thumb:

Reactions: SpooChi

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I'll give you a helpful hint on the shampoo. Once you have it diluted pour it into an empty dish detergent bottle when you are ready to wash your baby. I warm up the bottle of shampoo by sitting it in a sink or bowl of hot water. I don't like pouring cold stuff on puppies. By having it in the dish detergent bottle with the squirt top, I use an empty Dawn bottle, you can squirt it exactly where you need it to go....it's so convenient to use it that way. You are doing a gretat job getting prepared!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great idea Viking Queen! I saw many videos of groomers using big bottles with screw-on tops, so I compromised and thought I'd use the shaker bottles instead. But that's a fantastic tip to use the detergent bottle, especially if you only need a bit more shampoo in a specific area or hard-to-reach spot, so you won't use more than needed.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
You certainly have a good start! I have to add something though.....I see you have nail clippers but you really should have some QwikStop too cuz you WILL accidently hit a quick now and then...we all have! Also a good nail file to smooth out the sharp edges. The black ones work best. (A dremel is better for nails imo) You will find youself in the pet aisle of any store you visit from now on btw..........and Amazon and Ebay LOL!!!
HAPPY PUPPYHOOD!!!!!

Reactions: kontiki and SpooChi

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MollyMuiMa, thanks for the suggestions! I have thought of getting QwikStop whenever I see it at the pet store, but haven't gotten it yet. I read that you could also use corn starch I think? But maybe that is outdated advice. I have been lucky so far with Lyla and have not needed it, but I'm sure with a squirmy puppy that will become a bigger risk!

I do have the Andis version of the Dremel, and we love it! Lyla prefers it far more than the regular nail clippers too! I will for sure be using the nail grinder as I want nice short, smooth, rounded nails. (I don't want to damage my parents beautiful wood floors, lol). If the Andis one can't keep up with a Spoo's nails we'll be picking up the Dremel.

I am already in the pet aisles of every store we go to, haha. It's the highlight of any shopping trip! If my husband loses me in the store he knows where to look. And I still have lots of my wishlist on Amazon. It's hard to hold back, especially since there is often more options online than in store.

Thanks, I can't wait to post about some REAL updates. Hopefully it's not too far away.

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
Looks like you are well prepared. I have a standard and I use the Andis nail grinder too. Like it much better than our previous dremel and if it can handle a standard, a puppy should be no problem. Just make sure you introduce it early and often so puppy will learn that it is okay to get a pawdicure.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Asta's Mom, that's great the Andis one works for your standard. That's awesome! I will be doing as much grooming as possible when puppy gets here. Those first 12 weeks are the most important, and I'm super glad the socialization will have been started with Cherie early on.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I forgot your puppy is one of Arreau's. I am sure Cherie will get the baby dog off to a great start on learning to deal with grooming like a trooper.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So far on my wish list I have a Wahl Bravura clipper, and the dremel pet grooming attachment:

https://smile.amazon.com/Dremel-AT01-PGK-Grooming-Guard-Attachment/dp/B071DX7SGV/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1550434681&sr=8-9&keywords=dremel+dog

I already have a dremel tool, so I thought it made sense to get the attachment rather than an entirely new one. I am currently grinding down my chihuahua's nails with the dremel (just a regular barrel, so I'm looking forward to the specific attachment). It is much smoother than clipping, and since we visit nursing homes and dementia levels in those homes, it's really important that his claws are very smooth because the elderly have skin like tissue paper, and they like to pet and snuggle the dogs.

I was thinking of waiting to get the toys and take the puppy to pick out his own-there are a lot of youtube videos where the dogs get to pick their own:

I already have a tiny shark life vest for our chihuahua, and I will need to get a couple of different sizes for the growing spoo when he's on the boat, but they're pretty affordable.

I am a dog bed snob; like vacuum cleaners I seem to go through a lot until I finally find one I'm in love with. So far digging the Charley Chau snuggle beds, but I don't know if the spoo puppy would like one of those, so i'm holding off to see if he turns out to be a burrower, a spreader, or a cuddler :couch2:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RSH, though I've not used the Bravura I've heard nothing but good things about it. Seems like a great all-around clipper for pros and beginners. I think it'll work perfect for us.

The nail grinders are definitely above and beyond regular nail clippers. Our chihuahua also finds it less jarring and almost falls asleep while I grind her nails. The rounded nails don't just help with not scratching people and flooring, they also help Lyla not scratch herself too hard and break skin. She has barely any fur so it's easy for her to injure herself if she has sharp nails.

I think it's a cute idea to have the puppy pick out it's toys too. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the possible illnesses she could pick up from the pet store before vaccinations are completed. But I guess if you keep the puppy off the ground it wouldn't be an issue.

"A burrower, a spreader or a cuddler", that is hilarious! That's a great point! I haven't gotten any beds yet either as I've heard many puppies will tear them apart. I've got fleece blankets and towels to keep her comfy until she matures enough to enjoy a bed for sleeping and not chewing, haha.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I got another package today! Didn't think I'd get any deliveries today as it is Family Day, but I'm not complaining!

To my surprise, I got a second bottle of the Nature's Specialties shampoo, along with my CC poodle comb and "Poodle Grooming Bible". I quickly checked my orders, my email confirmations and my banking to see if I accidentally ordered two... But it seems I did not, so I have an extra one! Woohoo! ...Hopefully we like it!

Do you guys think I should contact the seller? Or just leave it and be thankful for this little surprise?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
So I got another package today! Didn't think I'd get any deliveries today as it is Family Day, but I'm not complaining!

To my surprise, I got a second bottle of the Nature's Specialties shampoo, along with my CC poodle comb and "Poodle Grooming Bible". I quickly checked my orders, my email confirmations and my banking to see if I accidentally ordered two... But it seems I did not, so I have an extra one! Woohoo! ...Hopefully we like it!

Do you guys think I should contact the seller? Or just leave it and be thankful for this little surprise?
Hi :), yes, I would reach out to the seller. Depending on who it is, they might operate on very tight margins. I can understand not wanting to go to the trouble of repackaging it and the expense of shipping it back, but maybe the two of you can find a reasonable compromise suitable to both.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I can't think of another thing. But I know where I can do my shopping where they have everything imaginable for dogs. What's your address? :act-up:

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
A flirt pole which you can use for training, fun and exercise on inclement days. Not too much jumping for the puppy:) GasX and hydrogen peroxide in your first aide kit, A collar tag with your phone #. I think Cherie already has them chipped. A slip leash for a puppy, 6’ leather leash for tethering or later leash training. I let Buck go without a collar in the house and learned he wouldn’t range more than a few feet away from me as a pup. I second not buying too many toys. I had Kong’s in ever size and B. didn’t like them. He did like the Kong wobbly toy that would dispense treats as he batted it around. You’ve got tug toys covered. Lifesaving distractions during Land Shark days. So excited for you:)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts