Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up raw chicken wings at the grocery store today. I supplement Jasper's Innova adult with a variety of things. Tonight it was part of a Clementine and raw broccoli. (The latter is his absolute favorite!) I reduced the amount of kibble a bit and also added a raw chicken wing for the first time. It was broken down into three parts for easier (neater!) eating.

I put down a towel in the kitchen as I don't want food on the travertine. Unfortunately we can't easily feed outside at this point. He picked out the raw chicken and set it aside, on the towel :), while eating everything else. He eventually went back to the wing and ate all of it. I get grossed out easily so it didn't sit very well with me :wacko:, but he seemed to enjoy it.

In general I've been feeding a bit less kibble at the meals I supplement with cottage cheese, yogurt, raw veggies, or raw fruit. I'm not sure it's entirely necessary, I guess, but didn't want him eating large meals. When only supplementing with raw foods, do you reduce the amount of kibble you're feeding?

The worst thing was immediately after eating he lifted his leg and peed on the towel near the empty bowl :scared:. That has NEVER happened before. While he doesn't ask to go out, there haven't been any accidents in forever because I'm trained quite nicely on a schedule LOL. Our Toy is a male but neutered. They weren't in the same room, but the Toy was standing by the baby gate near where Jas was eating. Do you suppose this was a dominance thing or just plain stupidity on his part? Either way it's not going to fly around here, but it was completely 100% out of character for him.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I picked up raw chicken wings at the grocery store today. I supplement Jasper's Innova adult with a variety of things. Tonight it was part of a Clementine and raw broccoli. (The latter is his absolute favorite!) I reduced the amount of kibble a bit and also added a raw chicken wing for the first time. It was broken down into three parts for easier (neater!) eating.

I put down a towel in the kitchen as I don't want food on the travertine. Unfortunately we can't easily feed outside at this point. He picked out the raw chicken and set it aside, on the towel :), while eating everything else. He eventually went back to the wing and ate all of it. I get grossed out easily so it didn't sit very well with me :wacko:, but he seemed to enjoy it.

In general I've been feeding a bit less kibble at the meals I supplement with cottage cheese, yogurt, raw veggies, or raw fruit. I'm not sure it's entirely necessary, I guess, but didn't want him eating large meals. When only supplementing with raw foods, do you reduce the amount of kibble you're feeding?

The worst thing was immediately after eating he lifted his leg and peed on the towel near the empty bowl :scared:. That has NEVER happened before. While he doesn't ask to go out, there haven't been any accidents in forever because I'm trained quite nicely on a schedule LOL. Our Toy is a male but neutered. They weren't in the same room, but the Toy was standing by the baby gate near where Jas was eating. Do you suppose this was a dominance thing or just plain stupidity on his part? Either way it's not going to fly around here, but it was completely 100% out of character for him.
It's great he eats so well. As a general rule, feeding kibble and raw in the same meal is discouraged due to the difference in digestion time. The kibble takes a lot longer to digest than the meat/bone. However, I think the higher quality lower-carb kibble, the less important it is to separate meals. Perhaps feed one meal kibble and one meal raw. Are you trying to go completely raw or just stay with supplementing? If just supplementing, then I would do it separately or maybe feed the raw as a snack. I have never fed veggies so I'm not sure how that would fit into the equation? Maybe feed the veggies with the kibble?

As far as the marking, I don't have a male dog so I don't really know but maybe it was just a fluke and could very well be a dominance issue over the food. I wouldn't worry to much unless it continues.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
It's great he eats so well. As a general rule, feeding kibble and raw in the same meal is discouraged due to the difference in digestion time. The kibble takes a lot longer to digest than the meat/bone. However, I think the higher quality lower-carb kibble, the less important it is to separate meals. Perhaps feed one meal kibble and one meal raw. Are you trying to go completely raw or just stay with supplementing? If just supplementing, then I would do it separately or maybe feed the raw as a snack. I have never fed veggies so I'm not sure how that would fit into the equation? Maybe feed the veggies with the kibble?
IA here - feed raw and kibble seperate. As KM suggested. I would not feed veggies or fruit at all IMO. If they are eating some raw and some good kibble they should not need suppliments. I have read some may give fish oil pills, I have not done that and I am hoping not to do that and I can get them to eat fish once a week. :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
The worst thing was immediately after eating he lifted his leg and peed on the towel near the empty bowl :scared:. That has NEVER happened before. While he doesn't ask to go out said:
I think it was his way of saying Hmm good stuff mom, I better pop a squat so brother knows it's mine! lol, and I agree that one will have to be nipped in the bud.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Ha ha Oh my - I also think he was making sure that EVERYBODY knows that he had a special meal today and that nobody is allowed near LMAO !!!!

I have a travertine too ha ha, and can see myself doing "towel" thing myself one day :bump2:

Yes, of course, he needs to be corrected for peeing - juts be by his side next meal and when he is finished immediately call for him and distract him with a toy or game or whatever ;) ! Try to keep other pups from "watching him" while he eats - give them a treat or a chew perhaps.

I think he will just "chill" once he sees it is going to be regularly served for him and that nobody is going to "take it" LOL

Yes- many sites recommend not to mix kibble with the raw meat due to different digestion time needed , so maybe you can give him just a raw in the evening and kibble mornings : ))) !!!!

Keep us posted : ) !

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm glad you posted this. I want to feed my dogs raw exclusively but right now it's not an option. So in the meantime I would like to give them raw in addition to kibble mainly for the dental benefits. I know that they can't be fed during the same meal but is it ok to do daily or should I space the raw out more than that say once or twice a week?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm glad you posted this. I want to feed my dogs raw exclusively but right now it's not an option. So in the meantime I would like to give them raw in addition to kibble mainly for the dental benefits. I know that they can't be fed during the same meal but is it ok to do daily or should I space the raw out more than that say once or twice a week?
I'm not sure about how that would work, once or twice a week... I just know I wouldn't do it.
Talking standards here?
Can you not feed one raw meal a day and one kibble?

Karen

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm not sure about how that would work, once or twice a week... I just know I wouldn't do it.
Talking standards here?
Can you not feed one raw meal a day and one kibble?

Karen
I have a Standard and a 20ish pound 7ish month old mixed breed. I could definitely do one raw meal and one kibble meal per day if that is what is best.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Well, it takes time (usually) for their tummies to adjust to raw so I probably would choose every other day or separate meals in a day rather than once or twice a week because their bodies don't have time to adjust. I am certainly no expert though. Feeding at 6 am a raw meal and then offering kibble at 6 am may work. I feed all raw and my yard is much too small to stand the smell of kibble poop. Ugh. However, I know it is not always possible to do. For me, it is easy, and cost the same as a high quality kibble. I buy bags of frozen leg quarters at just under a pound each, liver, heart, intestine(or whatever nasty organs are on sell) and you can do lots of other meats. I just open the freezer grab a couple quarters and chunk them outside. Then, since I don't like messing with organs, they get their 10% in clumps rather than every day. I do give fish oil pills, but I really would like to do fish. To be honest, I haven't researched the right types of fish(lazy) so I haven't messed with fish yet. Is there a reason why you don't want to do all raw? Just nervous(completely understandable).

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's mostly because I live in a small town with one grocery store and am concerned that I won't be able to find the right variety of meats here so their diet could be lacking. It's also partially because sometimes I travel and take the dogs with me and feeding them raw would not be welcomed there lol.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I would do it once or twice a week at most.

But the key is buy up the sale items and freeze them. I thought it would be the worst hassle and it's not. I have yet to buy a upright freezer and still manage several weeks for 2 spoos.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I supplement Jasper's Innova adult with a variety of things. Tonight it was part of a Clementine and raw broccoli. (The latter is his absolute favorite!).
If you want him to be able to digest and benefit from the nutrients of veggies, you'll have to cook them or purée them. Dogs can't digest raw vegetables.

It doesn't hurt to feed raw veggies, but they won't get anything from them nutritionally.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
If you want him to be able to digest and benefit from the nutrients of veggies, you'll have to cook them or purée them. Dogs can't digest raw vegetables.

It doesn't hurt to feed raw veggies, but they won't get anything from them nutritionally.
It's somewhat pointless (feeding veggies) when there other more appealing and nutritional meats and bones out there.:)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
If you choose to feed raw at home, you can buy some pre-packaged raw equivalent that you can give while on vacation. If he has a sensitive tummy, just start integrating the pre-packaged into his diet before you go.

I've heard a few people on here using Nature's Variety dehydrated pre-packaged raw medallions for trips or for those that take care of their pets while they are gone. It looks like a little patty, so others shouldn't get grossed out or worry about it being messier than kibble.

They did do a voluntary recall recently after receiving a customer concern for Salmonella. I applaud the company for taking the risk of bad exposure in order to do the right thing for the dogs and their owners. In the end there was no Salmonella and future risk has been resolved.

You can order them online as it sounds like your town might not have them. Just another option to think about in the event you decide to switch.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
It's somewhat pointless (feeding veggies) when there other more appealing and nutritional meats and bones out there.:)
I don't know if I agree with that. Yes, it's true that meat and bones should make up the bulk of the diet, but fruits and veggies contain antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. People think a lot of fruits and veggies have cancer-fighting properties. In small amounts, perhaps they are beneficial.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks so much for the pointers and information! Very helpful. I wouldn't necessarily mind replacing a meal each day with something like the wings or similar. I'm really just dabbling at this point. Reading and learning as I go along.

This all started because we've had to eliminate raw marrow bones because of his coat. I'll have to post a photo later of the outfit I dressed him in to sneak in one last bone LOL. It's hard especially with the teething. I was thinking that crunching on the chicken wings might be an acceptable alternative with chewing and teething.

Raw veggies and fruit is done in moderation and really the quantity of raw veggies is very small. All of my dogs have always LOVED fruit and veggies. Except for chicken, there is little that excites them as much as an orange. They chew until the last drop of juice is gone. Raspberries and apples are a close second. I feed a few pieces of raw broccoli, lettuce, or carrots once or twice a week. I think it's the crispness and coldness that they like. Especially in the summer since most of us here in NE MA survive without central AC.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts