Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My mom and Ziggy are at the PWDCA specialty over the next week and they're going for SuperDog!

From the PWDCA website: SuperDog is a very special honor awarded at the end of the National Specialty. This honor recognizes the overall versatility of the Portuguese Water Dog by requiring participation in a variety of events. It rewards the capabilities and efforts of the individual PWD who competes in three or moreevents and accumulates the most overall points at a National Specialty. To be eligible for SuperDog, dogs must be entered and compete in at least three of five areas of competition: Conformation, Obedience, Agility, Rally and Water

IMO SuperDog is the biggest award you can win at the specialty as it rewards success in a wide variety of areas. Conformation people would probably say BIS is the biggest award. :)

My mom came in second for SuperDog with our dog Laila a few years ago, which was huge, but she really really wants to win the big honour! I think she is entered in all 5 areas that qualify. First up is Water on Saturday. I will definitely be letting you all know if she has any success. :cheer2:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Harley. I will, she knows all about this poodle forum. :) I wish I was there too, I used to love the specialty!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Good luck to Ziggy in winning the #1 spot in the SuperDog competition. Hope Ziggy comes home with the title. Not to shabby winning the #2 spot with Laila in the past. A big congrats to your Mom and her fur babies.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm going to be honest, I was expecting to see a dog in a Super Man costume, especially since it is sort of near Halloween.

LOL, anyways...

I wish your mother and Ziggy good luck! I sure hope they kick some butt and get the title of SuperDog!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to be honest, I was expecting to see a dog in a Super Man costume, especially since it is sort of near Halloween.
Hehe, if she wins, I'm totally making both her and my mom dress up as that for Halloween!

Thanks! I'm looking forward to stage 1 tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Good luck to your Mom and Ziggy in tomorrows SuperDog WATER catergory. I will keep my fingers crossed for Ziggy and all of my fur babies will be keeping their paws crossed too.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Good luck to your mom I hope they do well see if your mom can take pictures :D

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. At this point it's looking like SuperDog isn't going to happen. :( Zig came down with something an hour before the water trial and was lethargic and vomiting, so my mom had to pull her. Of course at this point her priority is just to get Zig healthy! So our fingers are crossed that she gets over this illness (whatever it is) quickly and can compete in agility on Monday. Thankfully there are some vets on site, so she's in good hands...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Oh man! I hope Ziggy is ok!! Hopefully she just ate something weird and she'll be fine by today!! Wishing you and your mom (and Zig) best of luck!! :clover:
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all! The good news is Ziggy recovered sufficiently to compete in agility yesterday and came in second place!

The slightly worrying news is that an on site vet recommended by mom get Zig's spleen checked out when she gets home, which has freaked her right out... Fingers crossed whatever was wrong was not a symptom of something bigger.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I hope she will be ok and it wont be anything serious congrats on placing 2nd in agility :D

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well I finally heard from my mom and she had a pretty good week! Zig recovered sufficiently to get 3 places in agility, 1 in obedience and a 3rd in her class in confirmation. No SuperDog for her.

But one of the boys we bred (he's about 7 now) came in 4th for SuperDog! He got high in trial in obedience and if he had got his water trial would have been SuperDog. What a working boy, not too shabby!

In other good news, apparently my mom bought me lots of things for my (hopefully) soon to be puppy. Yay!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Congratulations to Ziggy and to the boy that was bred by you guys for their wins. Bet your Mom will be glad to get home now, sounds like she had a pretty full week. So glad that Ziggy recovered well. Also let us know what goodies your Mom brought home to you for your soon to be puppy. Moms are so sweet that way.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The winners!

Just thought I'd share a couple of pics from the Specialty!

The first 2 are of the boy we bred, Samba. He's got his massive obedience High in Trial ribbon plus the others he won. He's 2 titles away from getting his platinum register of merit! I think there's only about 10 PWDs that have the title, so it's quite the honour.

PROM: The Platinum Register of Merit recognizes the truly versatile dog. To be eligible for the Platinum Register of Merit, a dog must have earned at least nine titles/awards from five different areas of competition: three of which must be PWDCA water titles (e.g., CWD), and two of which must be awards.

The second photo is our girl Ziggy with her haul. She has now fully recovered from whatever was ailing her - phew!

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts