Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some owners are a pain in the butt, and some groomers are goobers!!!

I wanted to shoot myself this morning.....

I've been grooming this dog for 9 months now and we decided we would do a lamb trim until the hair on the hocks got long enough for us to put in a really nice modern. Keeping in mind of course that this is puppy hair that has just begun to change. Well I made a big mistake and was grooming this dog in my down time at home since I live about an hour from where my shop is and this lady has become a good friend of mine.
Anywho, when I moved my professional self out to where I work now I encouraged this lady to make an appt out there but she wouldn't make the drive and like and idiot I kept grooming the dog at home every other week.

Finialy spreading myself to thin with all I was trying to do caught up with me and I had to drop this dog from my client list. I explained I couldn't do her in my free time anymore, because I never seemed to have free time and she wanted her on such a strict every other week schedual the only way I could commit to that for her was if she brought her up the shop. She refused to do that, got mad, and went elsewhere which was sad but a bit of a relief.

On friday she called and begged me to groom the dog. *sigh* I told her the only thing I could do was take her to work with me on Wednesday morning and groom her on top of what I already had booked for the day and bring her home and the only reason I was offering the pick up and delievery was because she was a good friend but I would have paperwork for her to sign before I took the dog. She agreed even though she didn't like the idea of the dog being with me all day at work. I offered to make her an appt where she could bring her dog up and have her groomed straight through and sit in the shop and watch but she declined, so all day with me it was.

Soooooo I haven't seen the dog in ....ummm two months I guess.
I was soooo disapointed at the sorry groom she had been given while away from me. My friend told me she had told the groomer what clip she wanted and the lady said she could do it, but obviously not, or she didn't understand what my friend was asking for. That just goes to show that as annoying as some groomers find it TAKE A PICTURE of what you want whenever you go to a new groomer. She completely ruined what I had done, but whats worse she didn't even do a decent job on the haircut she did do. When I blew her coat dry some parts were more than an INCH longer than other parts, everything was super choppy and all over, but especialy on the legs.... just awful. Now I'm by NO means cheap price wise but I happen to know what the other groomer charges just for a shave down on a spoo because she doesn't like doing them, I shudder to think what she charged my poor friend for this **** poor gaurd comb and scissor job. I wanted to cry with frustration because this lady was expecting her dog to look perfect again.

Here was what she looked like one three months ago, one of her last grooms with me.

This is what she looked like this morning, he legs were just awful. The front legs were a lot shorter than the back legs and I couldn't figure out why. It looked like the bonehead groomer clipped the front legs down with a gaurd comb all over - goober - and didn't do it the same way in the back??

Anywho, we were talking about maybe starting a miami on her and her momma figured whatever I did was bound to be smoother and better than the last two grooms from the other lady so she gave me free rein to do whatever.

This is what I cam up with. Sort of modern meets a miami.... just need to round out the bracelets and we'll be all set.... OR I could let them grow and turn the crest I gave her into a mane and viola PONYDOODLE!!! :)

Momma was thrilled, dog was thrilled, I was exhausted because it was a long day but also thrilled. If nothing I think my friend understands a little bit more what a deal she is getting on the groom and just how difficult hand scissoring is.... Sooooooo She is a little more grateful, which is nice. Hopefuly she won't forget.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Love the Miami! And the "before" picture was beautiful. Sad it got wrecked.

Ponydoodle! I'm actually going to try that when it gets warmer.

·
Registered
912 Posts
She looks gorgeous, you did a great job evening her out and making her look stylish again. Makes me want to go straight home and groom mine, pity I have to work at my 9 - 5 job today!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just fired my groomer of 10 years...

I don't know what got into them, but if my dogs had come back to me looking like the "Botched" job you show, I wouldn't have been so mad.
The guys were really long, having let them get pretty wooly for winter. The groomer took them down to "high and tight" USMC standard in the middle of winter. Their ears looked like they'd been chewed on. They forgot to do one dog's feet altogether. To add insult to injury, the price went UP! $190 for such poodle abuse.
I've been doing feet and faces, and the occasional scissor work on them for years, so I'm making the leap to doing it myself. In this economy, I just can't justify paying that much to someone if there's a chance I can do it myself.
I'll be looking forward to all y'all's advice....

·
Registered
912 Posts
If your anything like me Tyler your going to love grooming your dogs. I love the whole process, spending time with T just one on one, and practicing the skills I am gradually building up, to finally end up with a clean, stylish dog. IT'S GREAT :biggrin:

The guys on here are really helpful and even us newbies are pretty good value as we know only too well the tricky bits :rofl:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Forgive my ignorance here I've never seen USMC standard before. What is that/does that mean?

I'm sorry you're last grooming experience was bad. I get laughed at sometimes because I am such a worry wort about customer's liking their groom. I did a fox terrier last week and couldn't really tell if the owner liked it or not until today when she called back to the shop and left a message saying she was really impressed. I was nervous about it for the rest of the day after she left though, even though I always ask if the groom is ok, sometimes people won't come right out and say NO. Thankfully I've been lucky, I'm such a pain in the butt about being specific on what you want when I am checking a customer in that I havent had but one unhappy one since October. Not bad. Of course having just typed that out, you watch, Tomarrow I will peeve somebody off and they will hate their groom LoL.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts