Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charlie is our first spoo, and I'm hoping that someone more experienced with the breed can give me some advice.
He's been with us almost two weeks now, and the whole family just loves him to death. He is very loving and sweet, but he is super super calm. I have never in my life met a 12 week old puppy this relaxed! He isn't timid, and he doesn't startle, (we have two kids under 5, so there is lots of sudden loud noises, and running around, and he never gets spooked) he just kinda lays around all day. As active as my household can be, that's fine with me, but is it normal? He seems perfectly healthy. He's only active and playing like 15% of the time! Shouldn't he be chewing up all our stuff and running around like crazy? Not that I mind that he isn't=) I just worry something might be wrong with him.
Any advice?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, right? That's what my husband keeps telling me. I just can't help myself though=)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I am no pro for sure, but that doesn't seem normal to me. See what others here have to say. I don't remember my puppy laying around much at all when he was 12 weeks. He got sick at 4 months and I thought he was calming down.... come to find out he was really sick. Not to scare you....maybe you are just SUPER BLESSED!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
as long as he IS playing.

As long as he IS growing

i wouldn't worry- litters can throw odd ends of the spectrum. My aussie girl her litter- she's on the high end energy wise. (and is the smallest) we had one who was SOOO laid back. SO laid back. LIke are you sure it's an AUSSIE laid back.... he acted more like a clumber spaniel. :) he'd sitll play- but just short periods of times. That's him. THat's his personality.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I read something that said puppies can sleep up to 80% of the day! That's probably true for Darcy, he comes to work with me and sleeps for about 2 to 3 hours then is up for half an hour to 45 minutes. Having said that, when he's awake, he's anything but calm and quiet!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm hoping there's nothing wrong with him, and if I didn't already love him so much, i would give him up to service dog training. He is so so smart, already he grabs his leash when he wants a walk, and when he wants a training session, he goes into the doggy draw, gets his bag of treats, and drops them at my feet. Without even trying to open them! I almost want to stud him, but I don't know anything about breeding poodles, so I wouldn't presume to try. He's due for a snip at five months, poor guy. I probably just worry too much. Hopefully...

·
Registered
708 Posts
My girl was super calm when we first got her also. Not any more but it took several months for her to truly come out of her shell. The only thing i could think of is to get bloodwork and check his thyroid, but he is probably just a laid back dude:)

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am no puppy expert for sure (we usually had adult rescues) but if something about him is setting of your fur mommy instincts I would get him checked out. In all likelihood he is fine and then you can relax and enjoy the miracle of a calm puppy!

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'm hoping there's nothing wrong with him, and if I didn't already love him so much, i would give him up to service dog training. He is so so smart, already he grabs his leash when he wants a walk, and when he wants a training session, he goes into the doggy draw, gets his bag of treats, and drops them at my feet. Without even trying to open them! I almost want to stud him, but I don't know anything about breeding poodles, so I wouldn't presume to try. He's due for a snip at five months, poor guy. I probably just worry too much. Hopefully...
wow!!! he may be super laid back, but he certainly is very smart!! good for him. i just have one question, does he show interest in playing with the children when he's up? does he like to run around at least a little? i got jessie @ 10 weeks and then i got really really sick with a very bad flu. she was as docile as they come and i was SO grateful. however, when we did go outside to just pee she would want to grab a ball and play. so i'm just wondering what his energy level is when he's up?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I've had really laid back puppies in my litters before. I think it is just the far side of the activity spectrum.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Teddy has always been very laid back, which you really wouldn't expect from a mini. I'm very thankful for his temperament.

Sounds like your spoo might be a good therapy dog candidate.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i just have one question, does he show interest in playing with the children when he's up? does he like to run around at least a little? i got jessie @ 10 weeks and then i got really really sick with a very bad flu. she was as docile as they come and i was SO grateful. however, when we did go outside to just pee she would want to grab a ball and play. so i'm just wondering what his energy level is when he's up?
He goes on daily walks with me and keeps up fine. He does run and play with them in the yard, but the second one of them, or anyone for that matter, sits down, he's right there with them

·
Registered
224 Posts
We have had three very laid back standard puppies. As long as there is nothing really wrong with him, consider it a blessing! Sounds like he is taking his cue from the family, and being quiet when the kids are quiet?
He will go through many stages throughout his puppyhood, and he seems to be smart enough to figure out what is required of him already.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts