Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with Sunset Maple Poodles in Northern Illinois (Red Standard Poodles)?

Red standard poodle puppies and stud service

I live in Indiana; I'm starting to look for a Standard; preferably a darker color (red, black, brown, blue, silver, etc.). Ideally, I would find a breeder close to home (or a short drive).

Any other suggestions for Standard Breeders in this part of the Mid West?

*Also, I travel frequently (by car) to New Jersey to visit family. So I'd be open to looking at any breeders around there (or between here and there).

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'd actually not heard of this breeder (I'm from Illinois and recently got a spoo). They look good by website - health tested parents, only a few dogs. I can't tell from a quick look if they show or compete their parent dogs and it would be nice if they did.

Celeto Standards and Safari Standards come to mind for good, "dark" poodles (mostly blacks and blues if I recall) in Illinois.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Their website says they do not show but they do do some agility.

Celeto is a very good breeder. They do require their puppy owners to fed raw.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I automatically put a breeder on my no list if they give the option of paying more for full registration. Full reg should be offered by the breeder if the dog is a show/working prospect, not because someone will hand over more cash for "breeding rights". While the health testing is nice, I see no titles, either confirmation or performance. For $1800-$2000 a puppy I would pass and a breeder who is the whole package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22,898 Posts
My Lily's sire is a Safari dog, Ch Safari's MyDear Watson at Rio. They do have a good reputation for blacks and they show.

I think Viking Queen's breeder is somewhere in your neck of the woods.

Also if New Jersey really works for you too then think about Linda Howard and Scheherazade. I now a person with one of her dogs fairly well and she is a very nice girl. Linda breeds for sound health and easy temperaments. NEW JERSEY POODLES

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
I'd actually not heard of this breeder (I'm from Illinois and recently got a spoo). They look good by website - health tested parents, only a few dogs. I can't tell from a quick look if they show or compete their parent dogs and it would be nice if they did.

Celeto Standards and Safari Standards come to mind for good, "dark" poodles (mostly blacks and blues if I recall) in Illinois.
Safari is good! All of my dogs, except one, are out of the Safari line.

Celeto is no longer breeding.

In Indiana, try contacting Azel Poodles. http://www.azelstandardpoodles.com/ In Illinois, Natalie's Poodles. http://www.nataliespoodles.com/ Both breeders currently have or are expecting puppies. In Kansas City area, Court Hill Poodles is expecting a litter. www.courthillpoodles.com

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Hello,

My girl Iris came from Ann Rairigh in Louisville KY, her dogs are outstanding. Iris is a good inky black, even at age 13 1/2....her little face is aging grey over the last couple of years though.

Krista Fields ...Azel Standard poodles has puppies and her dogs are from Ann Rairigh's bloodlines. Krista is in Indianapolis IN. The sire of one of Krista's dogs is the very well known "London"...... He was campaigned and shown to his many championships by Ann Rairigh.

Best of luck with your search.

You could not go wrong on either of these.

Viking Queen

Here is a nice closeup of Iris' face, my sweet girl. Click to enlarge the thumbnail.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Safari is good! All of my dogs, except one, are out of the Safari line.

Celeto is no longer breeding.

In Indiana, try contacting Azel Poodles. Welcome to Azel Standard Poodles In Illinois, Natalie's Poodles. http://www.nataliespoodles.com/ Both breeders currently have or are expecting puppies. In Kansas City area, Court Hill Poodles is expecting a litter. Court Hill Poodles
Wow, sorry to hear Celeto's is no longer breeding. I came close to getting a puppy from them and had them in mind if I get another poodle sometime.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I live in Indiana; I'm starting to look for a Standard; preferably a darker color (red, black, brown, blue, silver, etc.). Ideally, I would find a breeder close to home (or a short drive).

Any other suggestions for Standard Breeders in this part of the Mid West?

*Also, I travel frequently (by car) to New Jersey to visit family. So I'd be open to looking at any breeders around there (or between here and there).
Another suggestion is Rosebud Poodles in central PA. They have a 10 week old black girl now who they were thinking of showing, but have now decided to keep her sister instead. The puppy's mother is a full sister of my Cammie. Very nice pedigree and fully health tested. The puppy will be a small standard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know it's been a few months since I posted this; I do sincerely appreciate all of the feedback, and the recommendations are appreciated and will be used.

In addition to the breeders suggested here, I have looked into Louter Creek and Arreau (who I know is very active on this forum); both are about the same distance from me (I would absolutely pick up a puppy rather than have it shipped...even if it means making it a full weekend endeavor). My only concern with Arreau is the logistics of the different countries. I'm sure it's something that can be worked out...I just don't know what's involved. And I like what I've read about Azel Poodles; I had not previously heard of them.

I would also appreciate any feedback on breeders that breed browns; I haven't seen many.

As for why it's been so long since I replied to this post...
I'm an analytical person, and I posted this in an effort to gather information for my next dog, which is going to be a Standard Poodle. But in hind sight, I was also trying to detach myself from the situation that I was in at the time. That situation was...

I had a 14-year old Golden Retriever (Riley) that had a very aggressive form of cancer. We removed a tumor in December; it was growing back by the end of February. And his lymph nodes were enlarged. And he had a softball-sized tumor in his stomach. So you can probably guess where this ends.

I have 4 kids (ages 18, 14, 10 and 5)...so the youngest 3 have no memory of life before Riley. I knew it was coming and I thought I was prepared, but I was in denial...and it hit me like a ton of bricks.

So after that, I wasn't ready to even think about another dog. And I'm still not ready to go get one. But that day is coming. So I will be more active on this forum at some point in the not too distant future.

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
DJC, I'm so sorry for your entire family's loss. Riley was surely almost like another parent to your youngest children.

Maybe try to keep looking now, because it can take a while to get a great puppy from a fantastic breeder. Keep up with breeders' websites, maybe get in touch with one or two. I'm sure Arreau knows about the logistics of importing a puppy and you might do well to reach out to her now, because current rules might make it necessary for a Canadian breeder to keep the puppy for extra time since one doesn't want to vaccinate for rabies too soon. I think she just sent a puppy girl off to Montana or Wyoming, so she would have current info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Streetcar - Thank you. I know it takes a while to get a good puppy from a good breeder; that's why I started looking so early...in hind sight maybe a little too early. But I will start looking again very soon. I don't have a specific time frame, but I feel like I want to be house breaking a puppy before it gets really cold. So I probably want to think about getting a puppy in the July/August/September/October time frame. If that's not possible, I would most likely wait until next spring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm in a weird (and unfamiliar) place right now.

Again...I'm a very analytical person. This is what analytical people do when they have spare time...
I calculated how many days (approximately) that I've been alive. Then I subtracted out the first two years (because you don't remember a lot before you're two years old). I came up with 17,227 days.

Of those 17,227 days, I've had at least one dog with me for AT LEAST 17,100 days.

Right now I have no dog. And it hurts.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I'm in a weird (and unfamiliar) place right now.

Again...I'm a very analytical person. This is what analytical people do when they have spare time...
I calculated how many days (approximately) that I've been alive. Then I subtracted out the first two years (because you don't remember a lot before you're two years old). I came up with 17,227 days.

Of those 17,227 days, I've had at least one dog with me for AT LEAST 17,100 days.

Right now I have no dog. And it hurts.
Um, when you get the right Poodle, you'll have a fellow analyst working right along side you :).

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Cherie's puppies, Arreau, wow! What I wouldn't give to have one of hers......

You mentioned Azel's in Indianapolis. Her females are all from Ann Rairigh's Litilann's Poodles. They are really georgeous dogs and Ann has been showing and breeding for Decades. While I don't have an Azel dog I do have one from Ann Rairigh. She is Iris and is now nearly 14 years old. I would get another one from Ann or from Krista Fields of Azlel's. Iris has been a dream dog and everything I would ever want in another. Ann is in Louisville Ky so would not be far away for you.

On the other hand, sigh, those red heads of Cherie's are very very tempting.

Give Krista or Ann a call just to cover your bases. I know Krista is planning to breed Jewel, her little white Standard, as soon as she comes in season. Jewel would have white or black puppies. She has a lot of blacks in her pedigree and black is a dominant color.

Best of luck with your search, it is worth waiting for the right dog. I waited 9 months for Iris and it was so worth it.

Here is a close up fo her little face. Happy puppy hunting. Viking Queen

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts