Poodle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a kiddie pool for their poodles to splash around in on hot days? What one do you have and where did you get it? Pictures?!? The only ones i've been able to find near me are too small for Dublin (at least IMO), so I bought one off of amazon. It had some good reviews from other dog owners, but i find myself skeptical that it'll hold up to doggy toe nails.

I guess it's no big loss if it doesn't hold up.... it wasn't that expensive. I'll replace it with a hard plastic one if i need to...
But so far he hasn't gone in it - he just used it like a giant water bowl. To be fair i didn't step in it either, the water from the hose was too cold lol

I have it in the shade, but hopefully the water will warm up just a bit from the indirect sunlight so i can step in it and coax him in.

Link to the pool below:

Dublin's Pool

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
We had a hard plastic one that we just bought at Target and it was perfect, except...all Bobby would do is stand in it. Bobby much prefers the sprinkler or that we spray him using the hose. 😉

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts
Nope. We have access to a lake. Galen is dubious about it; falling off the dock last year didn't help his confidence. Ritter is curious; maybe he will be our water dog. At the barn we have a shallow stock tank available for the dogs drink from. Usually at least one dog will hop in and submerge completely to cool off. They are more expensive than wading pools, but they are also designed to hold up to horses and cows.

·
Administrator
14,426 Posts
We had a hard plastic one that we just bought at Target and it was perfect, except...all Bobby would do is stand in it. Bobby much prefers the sprinkler or that we spray him using the hose. 😉
That’s all Peggy does really. Or she’ll play with the hose or retrieve things from under the water. I love watching her blow bubbles.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dublin is... picky about where and how (and how much) he gets wet. Doesn't like to "swim", doesn't like the hose, but dunks his head under the water fountain on the deck.

I figured a shallow, but not too shallow, pool would be perfect since he does like splashing/wading. This one collapses down for storage, which was more ideal than a plastic pool. I never thought about a stock tank. That would certainly hold up lol.

I tried to put foam gym mats down as added protection but they floated. Which, should have been a 'duh' but i thought i would try anyway. I do have a much heavier rubber mat in the closet i might try - it may be too big but we'll see.... which just made me think of horse stall mats! Huh.

Anyway, not gonna lie - at some point i'm sure i'll be the one in there cooling off after doing yard work. I can't convince the landlords for an actual pool, but this might work instead until i break them down. I'm also planning to add a puppy near the end of summer - just waiting for the litter to be born - so hopefully a puppy will also be able to enjoy splashing around too.

Yes, it will be another Standard.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Nope. We have access to a lake. Galen is dubious about it; falling off the dock last year didn't help his confidence. Ritter is curious; maybe he will be our water dog. At the barn we have a shallow stock tank available for the dogs drink from. Usually at least one dog will hop in and submerge completely to cool off. They are more expensive than wading pools, but they are also designed to hold up to horses and cows.
I've also seen horses climb into the stock tanks. One was a fairly narrow tank; the horse (a big Belgian mare) got stuck and they had to call they fire department to get her out. At another stable, the other horse climbed in a shallow round tank to lie in the water to cool off.

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
4,230 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,553 Posts
Rose - I had the same experience with the plastic wading pool. Mia loves standing in water, but she wouldn't go near the pool. Eventually I used it to toss balls in so they would dunk their heads, before giving it to a friend whose dog happily lounges and splashes in the pool.

·
Premium Member
7,201 Posts
The splash pool doesn't look like it will last long with toe nails and such. Did it?
Both items got very little use from the boys but have been left outside continuously thru the full Midwest range of seasons and other critters. The hard plastic pool gave up to the elements about two years in. Squirrels chewed thru it at the bottom edges.

The thick pliable plastic fountain mat fared a bit better, surprisingly to me, but recently was tossed due to extreme yuckiness. If I'd have brought both in to the garage or shed, some sort of coverage, I think they'd both have survived longer. Nails and additional holes are unlikely to be a problem for that since it comes with holes already provided for the fountain feature. Physics does demand an upper limit to exceeding the number and size of them tho😉.

I prefer not to buy things in the disposable category, but as an experiment and at the price, I felt ok with both.

Our next door neighbors roommates puppy also got some use from them lol.

Reactions: 94Magna_Tom

·
Premium Member
7,201 Posts
I see that the splash mats have doubled in price, when available, so I'd definitely be caring better for it if buying this year.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I actually have that splash mat and it is on year 6. It has mainly been played with by the kids, but the dogs have joined in in the past and it is still like new. I do hang it to drip as much as possible and keep it in the shed or garage when not in use.

Reactions: Rose n Poos

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I've also seen horses climb into the stock tanks. One was a fairly narrow tank; the horse (a big Belgian mare) got stuck and they had to call they fire department to get her out. At another stable, the other horse climbed in a shallow round tank to lie in the water to cool off.
Our local volunteer fire department answered a call some years ago to rescue a horse stuck in a bathtub. How, you say, is that possible? The horse reared, then fell over backward into the tub that was being used as a water trough. One of my horses loved to "stir" the water with his nose and then submerge it and blow bubbles.

Reactions: Liz

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The derp is strong in this one. Are all poodles so... majestic when they run?

I probably have a few dozen attempts to get a good action shot and this is what i wind up with. Helicopter ears or derp face. Or a BWB - big white blur.

Oh well.

He loves to run full speed around the yard, one of the reasons i thought he might like the pool for cooling down.

·
Administrator
14,426 Posts
The derp is strong in this one. Are all poodles so... majestic when they run?

I probably have a few dozen attempts to get a good action shot and this is what i wind up with. Helicopter ears or derp face. Or a BWB - big white blur.

Oh well.

He loves to run full speed around the yard, one of the reasons i thought he might like the pool for cooling down.

View attachment 477517
View attachment 477518
View attachment 477519
That is some classic poodling. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.