Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel the need to post a thread about a major summer crisis. And that is..............

The over abundance of zucchini.

What many of us started as a few seeds, carefully watered and tended to have turned against us.

At first it was great, we picked those first few young tender squash, some even picked the flowers and stuffed them.

But then we found one we missed and it got so big that you were tempted to hollow it out and use as a canoe.

As the season progressed, we got to the point of wondering what to do with all this zucchini that has suddenly got out of hand.

So here is where we band together. I need you to send your favorite recipes. BTW, looking for unlocked cars and putting zucchini in the passenger seat is not an option, been there, done that, we need recipes.

I'll go first. One option is to simple grate it and freeze it in portions to make zucchini bread throughout the winter. I've done that, but won't go into zucchini bread recipes, there are a ton of them out there and I've made banana zucchini bread, blueberry zucchini bread, orange zucchini bread, lemon zucchini bread, chocolate zucchini bread and just plain zucchini bread.

I'm going to start with something that is not zucchini bread, we all have our favorite zucchini bread recipe, we need something different.

Zucchini and corn fritters. 1 and 1/2 cups shredded zucchini, 1 cup corn, 1/4 cup diced onion, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, mix well and set aside. Mix 1 cup flour and 1/2 teaspoon baking power or 1 cup bisquick with 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons melted butter and 1 cup milk until smooth. Add to zucchini mixture and stir until smooth. Add a tablespoon of oil to heated frying pan and fry 1/3 cups of batter into as many you can get in pan without touching until golden on one side, flip and finish to golden oh the other side. Add oil to pan as needed to make other batches. For my personal taste, I added fresh ground pepper and old bay seasoning.

Before I post the recipes for stuffed zucchini and fake crab cakes, I'm going to wait for all of you to submit you favorite recipes.

Ball is in your court.

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
The big thing I see around here these days is stringy grated zucchini meant to be cooked in place of pasta. Will your dogs eat some of them? If they are organic and we were close I'd give the overripe ones to my chickens.

Reactions: Streetcar

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Hahaha! Awesome post! I pleaded for recipes on FB and was bombarded with fabulous links to terrific recipes online. Have you Googled it? You will get thousands! And apparently you can grate it ahead, freeze and use in recipes over the winter

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Late at night you take excess zucchini and leave them on your neighbors' doorsteps. Be sure they do not know you have a garden.
haha - wish I lived closer - I don't have a garden. Too many deer and bunnies just chomp up everything so I gave up.

No recipes but I throw zucchini into everything - pasta sauce, Chinese stir fry, Thai curries etc. You can even slice it thin and put it on pizza. It's bland enough that it can adapt to most recipes.

·
Premium Member
9,562 Posts
A go to recipe of mine is for Italian Zucchini Crescent Pie. It was one of those Pillsbury bake-off winners. Unfortunately, that’s only going to require 1-2 zucchini’s. Since you have such an abundance, is there a local food bank you could donate to? I’ve had the same problem with fruit. We give bags of grapefruit and lemons to everyone and somehow keep ahead of the harvest. I’m lucky that I can freeze juice.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Stuffed zucchini is a good one. Ground meat (lean beef/turkey or you could use ground round or crumbled firm tofu), oats, salt/pepper, ketchup, onions or chives, an egg. Mix together and stuff into hollowed zucchini half. Bake in the oven at ~350F or on the BBQ until meat is cooked and zucchini is tender.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Late at night you take excess zucchini and leave them on your neighbors' doorsteps. Be sure they do not know you have a garden.
Not zucchini, but I've been threatening to do that for years with some garden statues I inherited from my parents...only to the homes which already have one or two. Would LOVE to see their faces when they notice LOL!

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
Runner beans here. I have been away for a week, and despite asking neighbours to pick them my half dozen plants are smothered in beans that need harvesting immediately. I think I shall have to freeze them - at least you have that option for beans! I grew yellow patty pan squash instead of zucchini this year - very pretty, but no one here recognises them, so they are even more difficult to get rid of...

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
You've all brought back a lovely memory of going to the front door to find a cherished neighbor with a huge zucchini in hand, offering it up to us. I felt so flattered he thought of us, but on reflection, the poor man was actually desperate to not have the squash go to waste :).

Trying like crazy to think when that was, and if one or both of our parents were still with us at the time. Thinking maybe just one...

Y'all have some great strategies :)!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rose, you reminded me of something my mom did to her neighbors lawn geese.

They had a pair of lawn geese that they dressed up for the different holidays or seasons. They even had rain slickers they put on them if it was raining. These lawn geese had more clothes than some children.

One June they dressed them up as a bride and groom since June is the traditional month to marry. At the time I had a flock of live geese and had sent my mom some blown out goose eggs to use in crafts. She took one, put it under the bride and left a sign saying "They had to get married".

·
Registered
7,100 Posts

They had a pair of lawn geese that they dressed up for the different holidays or seasons. They even had rain slickers they put on them if it was raining. These lawn geese had more clothes than some children.

One June they dressed them up as a bride and groom since June is the traditional month to marry. At the time I had a flock of live geese and had sent my mom some blown out goose eggs to use in crafts. She took one, put it under the bride and left a sign saying "They had to get married".
“They had to get married". OMG that’s so funny. I love that. I hope the neighbor appreciated the humor.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts

That certainly brightened my morning! How wonderful a prank that was.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Sometimes the stars align :) Oh I would have loved to have seen that!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Zucchini! Okay, I'll bite. I'm from the south, so this is a spicy one.

My mother used to make a sliced zucchini and yellow squash dish. Throw the chopped/sliced veggies (about 2 each) in a bowl. Add a can of original Rotel tomatoes. Cook over the stove or microwave. When tender, cover with grated cheddar (or mozzarella or jack or pepper jack) cheese. Let the cheese melt.

I still make this and it's a comfort food and a reminder of my mom!

I try to eat low carb so this is perfect for me. Would also be awesome if you top it with a buttery breadcrumb mixture.

As for the lawn geese: My boss has a pair in our department's meeting room. Out come the clothes for every season!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Parrot, first. If your boss ever dresses those geese as a bride and groom, you know what to do next. Just get your egg from a craft store, lol.

Second, that recipe sounds good. My husband managed to find yet another zucchini and I think I'm going to try it.

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
Well I think I like the sound of that recipe with the green and yello squash with the Ro Tel tomatoes, but my local food store doesn't have original Ro Tel. I guess I will have to order from Amazon to be able to make that! Northerners, such spice wusses.....

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Catherine, if you think Northerners are spice wusses, you should experience the MidWest where they don't seem to season anything!

Here is my favorite way to cook summer squash (zucchini or yellow or mixed):

Butter a glass pie pan or similar shallow glass container. Slice a layer of squash and season it (I like salt, pepper, and thyme). Slice a thin layer of onion on top of the squash. Cover with shredded cheese (I use Mexican blend shredded). Repeat layers. I also add pieces of green chile between the layers.

Cover and microwave 4 minutes. Top with panko bread crumbs and a bits of butter. Microwave another minute or two uncovered.

Cooked this way, the squash will not be mushy.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Hopefully your zuchs have slowed down by now. I had an overabundance of neglected zuchs that grew too big as well. Most were 1.5 feet long and about 6-8" thick.

Like you, I shredded some for baking later, made some keto muffins, sliced some for "pasta" since they were too big to spiralize and then enthusiastically got rid of the rest to anyone I could.

My favourite supper time creation is a stuffed boat. Hollow it out and chop the usable parts up. Chop up some tomatoes, cucumbers, apples and feta. Mix all the chopped veg and fruit with some olive oil and some seasoning (an italian blend works really well or a lemon dill). Put back in the boat. Cook on the BBQ for about 20 min.

I was at my friends house BBQing a zuch boat for the potluck we were having and explaining my abundance woes. Her boyfriend is really into zucchini relish. Haven't tried it of course, but might be another option.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think today I finally got rid of the last of the zucchini. Of course I'll go out to the garden as soon as it dries up enough from the last few days of major thunder storms and find a boat size one that got missed, funny how one or two always get missed even when you're picking everyday. The ironic thing is that while I might be totally sick of zucchini right now, around January I'll get to missing it and actually break down and buy it at the grocery store.

Galo, if you can get the recipe for zucchini relish from your friends boyfriend, that sounds like something I'd like to try.

On a side note, today I had to pick my hubbard squash's because all the rain and humidity was making them start to rot. If you want a better than pumpkin pie recipe, I have one using hubbard or acorn squash, I have three beautiful pies cooling and 2 more squash's curing in my cool, dry back room for future pies this winter. They are long keepers, but if push comes to shove, I'll prepare them and freeze, done that many a year with my pumpkins.

Side side note. If any of you still have too many zucchini, do like I did, use it for zucchini bread or muffins and freeze those, I have 6 loafs in the freezer right now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts