Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we decided that Billy is not a candidate for the breed ring so we took him out of his heavy, hot coat. Billy and I are enrolled in novice obedience classes starting Tuesday night so that we can both learn together how to do obedience in the ring. He is a fun loving dog who loves everyone and all animals and it makes sense since his line is bred for service work. In his first show as a puppy we talked to the judge and a handler/breeder with 60 years experience who both said that he could make champion if we could get him to be more poodly in the show ring. But, when put into the breed ring, he shuts down and we haven't found anything to bring him out of that.

I've already started a bit of obedience training at home before our classes start and he has been responding well to that.

So .......here is the new and very happy Billy:

LOL...I had just shaved him a couple of days prior for the continental so I'm just going to have to wait for the hair to grow back in! Taffy is a bit jealous about all the attention Bill was getting.

Couldn't bring myself to take off his ears

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Billy out in the sun. Something he wouldn't do before.

I think he is saying thank you!

My country boy wearing my hunting cap...

·
Registered
548 Posts
Billy looks ecstatic ! It is great that you were able/willing to accept who he is and find purposeful work for him. Sounds like he's on to a great path towards obedience. He's a stunning boy :).

PS I also LOVE his ears !

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I love his top knot and ears.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I think those pictures show more of his personality then ive seen before. He does indeed look more comfortable!! Great shots, and good luck in obedience!!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. His ears are so nice that I didn't have the heart to shave them off. But, I did think about it for a few seconds...LOL His topknot came out pretty good but I think it needs to come down just a little bit more.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Bummer to lose the coat. So why not a good candidate? I kind a liked him!

Ok... edited to say. I need to read.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bummer to lose the coat. So why not a good candidate? I kind a liked him!

Ok... edited to say. I need to read.

Thanks. I held out hope for as long as seemed reasonable. He just isn't a poodle that likes to strut his stuff in the ring. Otherwise, no reason why he couldn't compete and have attained his championship. But, alas, not all poodles are destined to shine in the breed ring. And without strutting, he wasn't going to go far.

He still has plenty to offer and we are going to promote those things instead. He is amazing with people; all types and sizes. And, he has never met another animal he didn't like. He is a really good, loving poodle who likes to be extremely social.

I was going to grow him to his full Continental anyway just so that I could have photos of him done up; but, it wasn't fair to him in the warm weather since it would serve no other purpose to either of us.

He will perform much better now that he is comfortable and we will move ahead with getting an obedience title on him and his CGC.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Aw that's too bad, but he looks great in his new cut! Any chance he'd do any better in the ring after a break and a chance to come into his own a bit more?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aw that's too bad, but he looks great in his new cut! Any chance he'd do any better in the ring after a break and a chance to come into his own a bit more?

I am going to have the trainer's evaluate him as they teach all disciplines at the Canine Connection including handling. If they think there is a way to get Billy to get poodly in the conformation ring, I will definitely grow his coat back and try it.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I second poodleluv's comment, it's good that you guys can understand that he may not be a show dog, despite being totally gorgeous (and he is!!!). Sounds like he'll be an excellent obedience dog though! Go Billy!! :)
It's a shame to lose all that coat, man was he stunning in that, but he does looks SO happy to be romping around in the sun. It would have killed me clipping off all that hair, lol!

·
Registered
918 Posts
I am going to have the trainer's evaluate him as they teach all disciplines at the Canine Connection including handling. If they think there is a way to get Billy to get poodly in the conformation ring, I will definitely grow his coat back and try it.
Good idea! I don't remember what your experience is. If not a lot of conformation experience, you might try a handling class. I've found our class extremely helpful for both of us. Another option would be putting him with a handler, or at least trying it out a couple of times. Their behavior can change so much with someone who is really good at what they do. The handler we'll use comes to handling class if the dog she's working with needs the extra practice. Sometimes she'll take Jas for part of the class, he's a completely different dog with her!

Either way, there's plenty to do with him if conformation really doesn't work out. There's a breeder here in MA that does so much outside of confirmation with her dogs. It's good to see Poodles doing a variety of things!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts