Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've commented before how Miss Pixie is obsessed with her pals that live directly across from us (a 7 month old golden and a 3 year old wheaton). They see each other at the bus stop in the morning and sometimes will visit when we see them on the street and play.

The issue is I can NOT get her to walk past their houses anymore. We walk out of our driveway and she sits right down at the bottom of their driveways and waits for them. She will also woof to call them out (lol). While its darling it's MADDENING as I want to be able to walk her up the street (not far, a 10-15 min stretch and sniff!) I have to pick her up and carry her past by a few houses and she will still turn and try and run back to see their houses.

I thought I'd ask here - we see her trainer tomorrow for puppy socialization/basics. She will start the adult class in November which is much more rigorous obedience wise. I am legit at a loss with this!

Oh, and don't suggest going the other way.....a house three down is under construction and she gets all crazy about the banging and noises from it and will put on the brakes.

I joke that I've got the only dog that won't walk!!!!! :2in1:

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
Does she have a toy that she loves enough to ignore the driveways? It could be a tug toy or a toy with a squeaker that you could use to keep her moving when you are near those driveways. Dangle the tug or make noise with the squeaker and reward her once she has moved past the driveway.

When Lily was young there was a house she didn't like walking past because there was a really crazy GSD. She would stop and sit or just dig her heels in and try to get me to go the other way. I didn't carry toys, but I always had treats and I put a cookie on her nose just before we got to the point where I knew she would want to stop and talked her through moving forward. Eventually she was so confident and nonchalant about the GSD that he stopped barking at her. You could try using cookies too.

Reactions: Skylar

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does she have a toy that she loves enough to ignore the driveways? It could be a tug toy or a toy with a squeaker that you could use to keep her moving when you are near those driveways. Dangle the tug or make noise with the squeaker and reward her once she has moved past the driveway.

When Lily was young there was a house she didn't like walking past because there was a really crazy GSD. She would stop and sit or just dig her heels in and try to get me to go the other way. I didn't carry toys, but I always had treats and I put a cookie on her nose just before we got to the point where I knew she would want to stop and talked her through moving forward. Eventually she was so confident and nonchalant about the GSD that he stopped barking at her. You could try using cookies too.
Thank you Catherine, I will try that with her sqeeky lamb chop - and be armed with treats (and have my husband do the same). he will love walking with a fluffy white poodle...and fluffy white stuffed animal lol!!

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I had a similar problem - my dog was highly excited and attracted to the wild rabbits. We had several living in our yard and basically everyone in the neighborhood had a few. She would sit and point - and I couldn't budge her. If I picked her up or tried to move her, her head would be turned on laser focused on the rabbits.

I never left my house for a whole year without treats in my pocket. It took a long time to break her focus - rewarding her to turning her head and looking at me, rewarding her for walking towards me, rewarding her for coming to me when called (we worked on a long line). Things would seem to be going well and then it would back track. Eventually we got over the rabbits and can walk by them. I do allow her to turn her head briefly to look at them but then she must turn her head back to me again while continuing to walk by.

My problem was worse because the rabbits were all over the place and they could pop up randomly and if they ran away, they would set off Babykins prey drive. You have one area that is the problem. I would work outside your house across from the driveway playing focus games as Catherine mentioned. Start far away as possible and slowly work your way closer to their driveway.

In addition to treats and toys to both lure and reward Miss Pixie away from their driveway, always keep her on leash when outside. Never give her allow her to make the choice to run and play with her friends.

When walking her - put yourself between her and that driveway and keep your distance until you can walk closer.

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a similar problem - my dog was highly excited and attracted to the wild rabbits. We had several living in our yard and basically everyone in the neighborhood had a few. She would sit and point - and I couldn't budge her. If I picked her up or tried to move her, her head would be turned on laser focused on the rabbits.

I never left my house for a whole year without treats in my pocket. It took a long time to break her focus - rewarding her to turning her head and looking at me, rewarding her for walking towards me, rewarding her for coming to me when called (we worked on a long line). Things would seem to be going well and then it would back track. Eventually we got over the rabbits and can walk by them. I do allow her to turn her head briefly to look at them but then she must turn her head back to me again while continuing to walk by.

My problem was worse because the rabbits were all over the place and they could pop up randomly and if they ran away, they would set off Babykins prey drive. You have one area that is the problem. I would work outside your house across from the driveway playing focus games as Catherine mentioned. Start far away as possible and slowly work your way closer to their driveway.

In addition to treats and toys to both lure and reward Miss Pixie away from their driveway, always keep her on leash when outside. Never give her allow her to make the choice to run and play with her friends.

When walking her - put yourself between her and that driveway and keep your distance until you can walk closer.
Thank you, we went out today with a squeaky toy and a handful of treats in the rain. She put on the brakes a number of times but I was able to lure here down the road for a while. Putting myself between their driveways while on a shorter leash helped a lot too!!!!!

Also I don't let her run free with them, they are 50+ lbs against her 9 and as much as she likes to tussle with them they run like steam trains and would run her right over!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts