Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have some friends at Brogan's Heroes that are trying to introduce their boy dogs to each other. Both are fixed. One is a 2-year old puppy and the other is 6 years old. Both love to play so we are thinking it's going to be a good match but wanted to reach out to the Poodle Forum to get some ideas to make it successful.

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice??

Cheers!

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Outside the home, in a neutral place. Don't give more attention to the new dog, not to make the old one jealous. Don't make a big deal out of it, just be casual. Don't being any precious items, like balls or favorite toys, not to trigger fighting over it.

Starting with a walk for a while, then stopping at a park or something so they get get supervised play.

When you go home, no fussing over the new one !

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I have always had 2 females say 3 to 5 years apart, and have never has an issue. I introduce them slowly, most of the time bringing the new on home to meet the other one. Then I start with treats and them setting beside each other, not allowing them to take each others food. I put there food bowls about 2 feet apart and I supervise until I am sure there are no guarding issues over food. Normally the original dog will train the new one to stay away from there bowl, by a low growl (no snapping) I always use their names when talking to either do. I say Cayenne NO with eye contact I also shake my hear NO. I use chicken, or something really tasty. I still watch them for a couple of months, then just put the bowls done and gon on with my work.

When I baby sit friends dogs I do the same, make them sit side by side and take treats, and only what is offered when I say their name

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
I also would say you want the first meeting to be on neutral ground with neutral behaviors towards both dogs from all of the people involved. I think the best things is to walk parallel to each other, but out of reach, for a while and read the body language. Then let them get close enough to possibly interact before going to a safe neutral place where they are both allowed off leash. I would make sure there are no toys present either.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I've had good luck with meeting on neutral ground. Let them sniff, play and have fun. I wouldn't take either one's favorite ball or anything that could lead to territorial disputes. Good luck.

Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts