Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gracie will be 15 in July, I pretty much feed whatever she wants dog food wise but she is fussy always has been but I have only catered to the fussiness post the age of 13 when she began holding out longer and longer because she hating the food she was getting. Well Ceasar's wet food sliced New york strip flavor and prime rib flavor was the thing she loved the best. Well they changed the formulation, adding green beans and well Gracie ate it sans the beans, left them in the bowl. Now she is put off, currently I have a back up oddly enough she likes Beatrice's prescription diet so she is chowing down on that, but she will only eat it for so long before she tires of it. I did pick up Fresh Pet beef and chicken, but I do not know if she will like it at all.
Poor dog is hungry.
Any ideas, she hates Pate style wet food, not a really fan of kibble.
A McDonald's version of dog food is what I am after I need her to eat reliably she is only 6 1/2 pounds.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
GO and NOW both have non-pate "Stew" style wet food that my dog loves/my mom's dog loves. They are pricey though. You might be able to rotate through a few flavours.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Neo always happily eats whatever, Remo's always been picky. We had some success when he was younger with Blue Buffalo Divine Delights. There's lot of different flavors, many in the non-pate form.

I recently switched them to Purina Pro Plan small breed Savor and that's been the best success yet. Remo was actually eating the dry kibble, plain. (I still jazz it up with other stuff.)

I've looked and PPP has several small can sized meals similar to the Cesar's and Blue Buffalo style. They're priced a bit more, but if she likes them at all, there's often sales. The BB is more like the Cesars, but I was surprised by Remo's interest in the PPP.

Hope you soon find something she'll eat happily.

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well she likes the Fresh Pet, for now. Have tried the Blue buffalo, will look at the PPP

·
Super Moderator
5,133 Posts
My Gracie LOVED this food:

I served it to her for dinner for her last few months on earth and wish I'd started sooner. It's cost-prohibitive for lots of folks with larger dogs, but for a mini or toy it's very doable. I personally liked that it smelled like soup!

There's a grain-inclusive version, too:

And lots of different flavours to choose from or rotate through.

·
Super Moderator
5,133 Posts
Aw. You must have quite a collection of foods collecting dust in your pantry! ?

My parents have a very picky senior rescue (chihuahua mix) and they buy her canned chicken from their pet food store. It's just straight chicken in a dog-safe broth.

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually I don't , Gracie had been eating the Cesar dog food for a year or so now, oddly enough Gracie alternated between that and Beatrice's prescription diet. Since they, Cesar, changed that I need to find a alternative.
My mom spoiled Grace gave her human food ?, alas I will look to see if the local pet store has canned meat.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Well she likes the Fresh Pet, for now. Have tried the Blue buffalo, will look at the PPP
The Fresh Pet is really a very good food. I had a super finicky tiny chihuahua that didn’t like anything I tried. He only ate as much as he needed to keep physically going. He was a little underweight but he seemed healthy nonetheless.

When I tried the FP he ate like he was ravenous! I gave him the recommended amount, and within about 3 weeks he’d put on about a pound and was at his ideal weight. I was so relieved. I’d say keep with this for Gracie since she seems to like it. He continued to eat it, but no longer was putting on weight. It just seemed to stabilize his body.

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Fresh Pet is really a very good food. I had a super finicky tiny chihuahua that didn’t like anything I tried. He only ate as much as he needed to keep physically going. He was a little underweight but he seemed healthy nonetheless.

When I tried the FP he ate like he was ravenous! I gave him the recommended amount, and within about 3 weeks he’d put on about a pound and was at his ideal weight. I was so relieved. I’d say keep with this for Gracie since she seems to like it. He continued to eat it, but no longer was putting on weight. It just seemed to stabilize his body.
It's not me, it's whether or not Grace decides to eat it on a regular basis. Grace just scoffed down her second serving of FP, usually when she doesn't want to eat something she tries to bury it.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
It's not me, it's whether or not Grace decides to eat it on a regular basis. Grace just scoffed down her second serving of FP, usually when she doesn't want to eat something she tries to bury it.
Hopefully she will continue to eat it. But I totally forgot about this food when I was trying to find something Oscar would eat. I just added a roll to my grocery cart lol. I’m glad you mentioned it!

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's nice see Gracie genuinely happy to eat. It took a while of trying to find the right thing, I do know she hates fish, that's what the poodles get.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I am wondering how Gracie is doing with the Fresh Pet. Is she still eating it? Are her poos good? I have my groceries delivered from Walmart: I ordered the 1lb roll to see if Oscar likes it, and they were out so sent me the 6.5 lb roll at the same price as the 1 lb. lol.

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gracie is devouring the Fresh Pet, no change in stool. Gracie is once again excited about suppertime

1 - 18 of 18 Posts