Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, our little boy (13 weeks today) will be allowed (per vet) to begin going on walks next month. We live in a large urban area and currently take him out in a pup stroller to get him acclimated to the noise, birds, people, squirrels, and other dogs. He is a great joy with a friendly and lively personality and has done very well but I can tell he will be a puller as he is quite active and strains on the stroller cables, standing up for most of the ride. His neck is currently 7 3/4" and girth is approximately 13". I would like to find a harness that can be adjusted as he grows and also one that will be safe and not easy to escape from on city streets. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

·
Premium Member
6,280 Posts
I this one for my boy Lenny
Harness

I suggest you go to the manufactures website for sizing, my boy had a 12" chest at 1 year

·
Registered
62 Posts
Congratulations on your new addition! I also have a toy poodle, and had a very hard time finding a harness that was small enough to fit him! I LOVE the harness that I'm using now (he's 1 yr old, 5 pounds). It's the Kurgo Tru Fit Smart harness, size XS, and it's adjustable. Every other harness I used he was able to slip out of...even if a harness was seemingly snug, he would find a way to "back out" of it during walks, which was terrifying at times. He has never escaped the Kurgo harness. This is the link for the one I use for walks:

I also use a Kurgo harness and tether for car rides (and can also be used for walks if you only want to buy one harness). It's a crash tested harness, almost identical to the Kurgo walking harness, but it has steel nesting buckles. The steel buckles can be difficult for my teenagers and husband to put on, so I bought the Kurgo Tru Fit Smart harness with the plastic buckles (above) for walks. Here's the crash-tested harness with the steel buckles, I also purchased the XS:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congratulations on your new addition! I also have a toy poodle, and had a very hard time finding a harness that was small enough to fit him! I LOVE the harness that I'm using now (he's 1 yr old, 5 pounds). It's the Kurgo Tru Fit Smart harness, size XS, and it's adjustable. Every other harness I used he was able to slip out of...even if a harness was seemingly snug, he would find a way to "back out" of it during walks, which was terrifying at times. He has never escaped the Kurgo harness. This is the link for the one I use for walks:

I also use a Kurgo harness and tether for car rides (and can also be used for walks if you only want to buy one harness). It's a crash tested harness, almost identical to the Kurgo walking harness, but it has steel nesting buckles. The steel buckles can be difficult for my teenagers and husband to put on, so I bought the Kurgo Tru Fit Smart harness with the plastic buckles (above) for walks. Here's the crash-tested harness with the steel buckles, I also purchased the XS:

Thank you! He's such a wonderful addition to our family and has quickly become one of us. Yes, I can tell my little one could easily be an escape artist and my nightmare is he will find a way to shrug off the harness and chase after squirrels (which I can see during his stroller rides fascinate him). I will definitely have a look at the Kurgo harness and appreciate the link.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
For one of my poodles, Beckie, I like to buy a harness with more support at the chest, not just a thin strap, as she pulls a lot and chokes with the regular strap harness.

Not all toys are like her, but keep in mind that although they are small, they can also be a mighty pulling machine... :)

·
Premium Member
6,280 Posts
I have bought and returned a lot of harnesses because they didn't fit right
Pawtitas
is another brand that fit my pups well

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can tell my little one is a puller. He already strains against his stroller tethers when he sees birds or squirrels. My fear is that he will break lose and run blindly into traffic.

I'll check out the Pawtitas too. I think I'll buy several different harnesses and see which one works best for walks.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Gia and G2 really liked the step in harnesses and they do quite well with them. I also love the ease of putting them on, they just step right in and buck and they're good to go. we use collars inside just incase one was to ever escape, and their harnesses we just use for walks. the step ins have a pretty good adjust to them, or you can buy ones that don't adjust and are more fitted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gia and G2 really liked the step in harnesses and they do quite well with them. I also love the ease of putting them on, they just step right in and buck and they're good to go. we use collars inside just incase one was to ever escape, and their harnesses we just use for walks. the step ins have a pretty good adjust to them, or you can buy ones that don't adjust and are more fitted.
Thanks for you experience. I might have to initially go with a step in harness and see how it goes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would say find a cloth harness! The harnesses that are collar material are not only uncomfortable and pinchy, but they LOVE matting and twisting hair up no matter what. Shreks hair doesnt mat easily but using the strap harnesses matted immediately whether wet or dry and he started to despise the harness. Plus since you have a puppy who is a puller, those non padded collar straps can cause friction rashes, soreness and possibly depending on how hard she pulls, could injure her arms over time.

With all three of my pups I switched to these harnesses. They are super durable, easy to clean, last a really long time and my dogs all love them. My favorite thing about these is that there is velcro that straps to the top of their back and then over the velcro is a buckle and on-top of the buckle is the loops. Its triple hold to ensure the harness wont come loose or break and the tightness around their body from the harness is only dictated by the velcro so if she starts to out grow it and you cant get another one immediately, just barely attach the velcro but the buckles and loops will ensure it wont come off of her!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would say find a cloth harness! The harnesses that are collar material are not only uncomfortable and pinchy, but they LOVE matting and twisting hair up no matter what. Shreks hair doesnt mat easily but using the strap harnesses matted immediately whether wet or dry and he started to despise the harness. Plus since you have a puppy who is a puller, those non padded collar straps can cause friction rashes, soreness and possibly depending on how hard she pulls, could injure her arms over time.

With all three of my pups I switched to these harnesses. They are super durable, easy to clean, last a really long time and my dogs all love them. My favorite thing about these is that there is velcro that straps to the top of their back and then over the velcro is a buckle and on-top of the buckle is the loops. Its triple hold to ensure the harness wont come loose or break and the tightness around their body from the harness is only dictated by the velcro so if she starts to out grow it and you cant get another one immediately, just barely attach the velcro but the buckles and loops will ensure it wont come off of her!
Thanks for the great info. Our previous poodles were minis and weren't pullers or strainers so I had them in collars. I hadn't thought about our little toy poodle's coat matting up as he still has his puppy coat. Yes, he's quite a puller right now so in addition to worrying about him breaking free to chase squirrels and birds into oncoming traffic, I don't want him to injure himself when he strains. I'm going to order several different harnesses, including the one you shared, and see what works best right now for my little boy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is where my folks got harnesses for both our toys (now just one left, but he's 18 and loving his walks still). Measure carefully and I found them extremely kind and responsive to emails with questions; I ordered one for my dog Jazzy that ended up to small for her since as she faded she lost just enough weight to be a smidge too small for her previously perfect harness. She was a 5 pound toy as a healthy adult for reference. They're secure, don't seem to restrict movement, and it's a rarity for there to be sizes that fit toy poodles, so they were a great find for us.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is where my folks got harnesses for both our toys (now just one left, but he's 18 and loving his walks still). Measure carefully and I found them extremely kind and responsive to emails with questions; I ordered one for my dog Jazzy that ended up to small for her since as she faded she lost just enough weight to be a smidge too small for her previously perfect harness. She was a 5 pound toy as a healthy adult for reference. They're secure, don't seem to restrict movement, and it's a rarity for there to be sizes that fit toy poodles, so they were a great find for us.
Thank you! It looks like a nice company to do business with. I wondered if my little one's body will change as he loses baby fat and puppy fur so it's nice to have another option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use martingale collar for my puppy, it doesn't strangle my dog when I pull it. I see this collar not only using for walking but also suitable for training, and my dog can't be able to back out or slip out of the collar.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I use martingale collar for my puppy, it doesn't strangle my dog when I pull it. I see this collar not only using for walking but also suitable for training, and my dog can't be able to back out or slip out of the collar.
Thank you. I used a martingale for my miniature poodles (who have, now, sadly passed) but I was afraid it might be too much for a toy. The minis were very lively and pulled and one did back out of a harness when we walked by a gaggle of geese. I might pull out the smallest martingale and give try it at home at first.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts